Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: fork seal issue  (Read 7405 times)

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
  • Breakout and say no to baggers.
fork seal issue
« on: July 10, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »

Has anyone had an issue with the fork seals? I just noticed that my forks have that little oily travel mark on both sides.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 Lao Tzu

If I needed a fairing, windshield, stereo and storage space, I would drive my car. Break out and just say no to bags.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
Re: fork seal issue
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »

I think thats normal.  I get them after riding, but they wipe right off.  The seals have to stay lubed otherwise they would tear....that is the marks you are probably seeing.

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

Thanks for the response! I'll keep an eye on it. I've got about 2400 miles on the bike and this is the first time I've seen the residue building up on the fork tubes. With temps over 102 degrees, I'm wondering if the heat is affecting the density of the oil causing a little seepage.
 Lao Tzu

If I needed a fairing, windshield, stereo and storage space, I would drive my car. Break out and just say no to bags.

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2014 SERK
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »

same issue on my bike.  i never thought anything of it.  it's actually amazing the travel of the fork between full open throttle and then hitting the brakes.  give it a look next time your on the bike.
Jake

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »

Do you get much "nose dive" when braking hard with the front brake? Just wondering.
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:59:24 PM »

Nicky Pass gave you the straight scoop, it's perfectly normal.  Of course if you had a bagger the covers would hide that.

"Breakout and say no to baggers." 

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »

Nicky Pass gave you the straight scoop, it's perfectly normal.  Of course if you had a bagger the covers would hide that.

"Breakout and say no to baggers." 

Jerry ;)

LMAO...I never thought about that....I put about 50 miles on it this afternoon and there wasn't any build up.
 Lao Tzu

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 10:22:06 PM »

I think thats normal.  I get them after riding, but they wipe right off.  The seals have to stay lubed otherwise they would tear....that is the marks you are probably seeing.

Same here Nick....just a little dribble every now and then.  it was the same on my Custom as well.
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

WA CVO

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE "CVO Breakout"
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE "CVO Limited"
Front Fork Seals - Breakout
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »

Anyone had a fork seal go bad on their bike?  Mine had 300 miles on it and the left seal totally let go spraying the bike with fluid.  Right one seems a little "wet".  Dealer is taking care of it but I am just curious if anyone had this happen on their new machines.

--Rob
--Rob

...no matter where you go, there you are!

HOGLifer

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 01:46:55 AM »

My 2013 CVO Breakout has had recurring fork seal leaks on the right fork leg.  HD has tried to remedy twice.  They did not say it was "normal."  Today, I noticed that the right fork seal is leaking again (or, much less likely, there is a porosity issue with the fork leg) and the left fork seal looks like it may have started to show signs of leaking for the first time.  Total mileage 5,200.  I disagree that it's "normal" and only noticeable because there are no fork covers or gaiters on the front forks.  I have owned and currently own multiple bikes and none show oil on the fork leg unless there's a leak.  It can be ignored and just dealt with by replacing the fork oil every six months but that's kind of silly and if the fork is leaking oil, it's also pulling in dirt and contaminants.  Just my opinion.  Oh, and HD again said to bring the bike in and they'll try to figure out what is wrong.  Taking it in Friday.  I LOVE this bike.  (Crimson Red CVO Breakout, completely stock.)

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »

My 2013 CVO Breakout has had recurring fork seal leaks on the right fork leg.  HD has tried to remedy twice.  They did not say it was "normal."  Today, I noticed that the right fork seal is leaking again (or, much less likely, there is a porosity issue with the fork leg) and the left fork seal looks like it may have started to show signs of leaking for the first time.  Total mileage 5,200.  I disagree that it's "normal" and only noticeable because there are no fork covers or gaiters on the front forks.  I have owned and currently own multiple bikes and none show oil on the fork leg unless there's a leak.  It can be ignored and just dealt with by replacing the fork oil every six months but that's kind of silly and if the fork is leaking oil, it's also pulling in dirt and contaminants.  Just my opinion.  Oh, and HD again said to bring the bike in and they'll try to figure out what is wrong.  Taking it in Friday.  I LOVE this bike.  (Crimson Red CVO Breakout, completely stock.)

I agree.  I am more attached to the crimson red on this bike the longer I live with it.  Most unique factory paintwork HD has come out with since the Springer Softails of 2009.

But you have GOT to do something about that "completely stock" thing  ;D
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

HOGLifer

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »

Re:  completely stock.   Well, I do have the saddlebags and back rest and windshield and swingarm bag but I only use the saddlebags and I only use them occasionally.  I usually ride it with no accessories because I think the basic bike is incredibly good looking as is.  I am reluctant to mess with the exhaust because I like the looks of the stock pipes better than anything I've seen.  I'm considering having the stock exhausts "hogged out" in stages to see if I can find just the right exhaust note but, as you can imagine, that'd be a rather drastic step if it failed.    Yes, it's a great bike and my favorite HD since my 2000 Deuce.

cvo1717

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BREAKOUT BLACK SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO FATBOB BLACK DENIM HELLFIRE FLAMES TRADED IN
    • CVO3: 2020 CVO street glide
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 05:04:26 PM »

vance and hines slip ons sound great and look like stock
Mike
2013 CVO BREAKOUT 117 KIT
ROSAS HEADS WOODS TW 8-6 CAM
RB RACING 2 INTO 1 PROSTOCK CHALLENGE PIPE
130 HP  134 TQ STD
126 hp   131 TQ SAE

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 06:16:02 PM »

........  Most unique factory paintwork HD has come out with since the Springer Softails of 2009.

Wish I could go back in time....     :(

OXMP

• Loud Pipes Save Lives!

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BreakOut Silver
    • CVO2: 1999 FX-DWG
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 06:22:03 AM »

Ive just had my 2013 CVO Break Out at our local dealership (Big 5 Nelspruit in South Africa) to have the fork seals replaced due to excessive leaking on the left fork. And after 12,000kms they tell me this is not a warranty claim but "wear and tear" .... has anyone else been told this by Harley and what in your experience defines normal "wear and tear"? On my Wide Glide I have put more than 30,000kms and never touched the fork seals yet .... Is there a means of getting an opinion from the Motor Company directly? Similar to this blog but with HDMC directly? Will welcome your comments.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.