Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Possible Culprit for Poor XM Reception in 2014's with SiriusXM  (Read 22377 times)

Road Runner

• A smooth road and good weather - "Priceless!"

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE, CVO Limited
Possible Culprit for Poor XM Reception in 2014's with SiriusXM
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »

Bought a new CVO Limited a little over a week ago and the only issue I'm experiencing is with the SAT radio reception.  The signal strength and reception quality shifts depending on my direction of travel and I think I may have found the culprit... poor placement of the SAT antenna.  A friend of mine provided me the XM module install instructions from HDMC (see attached) and as it's depicted on the second page, the SAT antenna gets tucked up near the back wall area of the fairing housing and next to some sort of housing/obstruction.  In fact, it looks like it sits behind a bundle of electrical wiring that appears to run directly in front of where the antenna would sit. 

In my 2013 FLHTCUSE8, the SAT antenna was placed up high above any obstructions inside the housing and had a clear line of reception to the SAT signal; thus, I had "zero" issues with the SAT radio reception in that bike - no matter which direction I traveled.  Did not expect such lousy reception in the new 2014 model.

I'm going to get with my tech and see about moving the SAT antenna out away from the obstructed location and out into the open under the fairing and see if that improves reception strength and alleviates the "direction" factor in order to listen to the SAT radio.

Will follow-up with the results after the antenna gets moved.
2014 FLHTKSE, Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon
2013 FLHTCUSE8, Stardust Silver / Dark Slate / Titanium Dust with Thunderblade Graphics (trade-in)
2010 FLHTK, Ultra Limited, Light/Dark Candy Root Beer (trade-in)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
Re: Possible Culprit for Poor XM Reception in 2014's with SiriusXM
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »

Thanks Road Runner:

Lets us know how it goes.  I will definitely have the techs try the fix if it works. 

I still get directional fading even though the reception seems better after activating the trial/subscription. 

Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

tpcrawford

• Tim
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 03:16:48 PM »

Would like to see what results you get by re-positioning.

-Tim
2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited, Flame Blue, Vivid Black  --  SOLD
2007 VRSCAW VROD, Black Cherry Pearl  -- SOLD

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:34:22 AM »

On my 06 CUSE, I never could get good reception with the antenna inside the fairing. I replaced it with a smaller one and using velcro placed it just to the right of the windshield above the speaker pod and right next to the seam of the fairing so the wire didn't show. Never had another problem.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »

Interesting thread. I would have never thought of that. My '11 RGU had the xm still activated when I bought it and the reception stunk (signal loss in a wide open flat area). I never bothered to get it turned back on once the previous owner had it shut off. I may have to look into that over the winter.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Road Runner

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 01:05:36 AM »

Okay... decided to move the antenna myself versus wait until I could get the bike in to be seen by the tech I trust and glad I did.  Also wanted it fixed before my wife and I rode again today since we both enjoy listening to SAT radio.  See attached pics.

Removed the outer shell of the fairing and low and behold, there was the SAT antenna tucked up in the upper right corner (RED circle) - nicely blocked by the gas gauge, plastic and wiring.  The XM module is installed within the 6.5 unit (WHITE rectangle). No wonder the reception was so lousy depending on direction of travel.  Wonder what genius came up with the placement for the antenna inside the housing because they sure didn't consider signal reception.  I relocated the SAT antenna so it is out front (YELLOW box) and not blocked by anything thick enough to degrade the signal.  Checked the relocation last night and all day today and it worked great!  Strong signal in all directions and no more dropped signal in the wide open as was occurring before the relocation.

The SAT antenna has a magnetic base.  I used a "U-shaped" bracket made of light steel and mounted it to the large mounting bolt that holds the GPC module to the main bracket that holds the 6.5 unit.  I mounted the bracket and ensured the SAT antenna did not protrude higher than the wiring bundle that goes across the top of the amplifier.  Reassembled the fairing and tested it last night.  What a difference simply relocating the antenna made.  See pic.

Hope this can help others who are experiencing reception/signal strength issues with their SiriusXM radio in their new 2014 CVO Limited.
2013 FLHTCUSE8, Stardust Silver / Dark Slate / Titanium Dust with Thunderblade Graphics (trade-in)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:50:26 AM »

Thanks for the work and documentation on this RR.  :2vrolijk_21: I looked at your avatar and saw the SERGU like mine and thought it was for one of them. I see it's a batwing. I'm sure I'll have my fairing off this winter so I'll check mine as well and see if there's a better than stock placement for the Shark owners out there.

Road Runner

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »

Ohiobellboy... a friend of mine has a RG and we've had his fairing off several times to install upgraded sound components and scope out where the XM module and antenna I sold him would be installed.  The mounting bracket sticks the SAT antenna in a less than optimal place under the fairing (see attached document) versus where it gets placed in the Ultras.  Relocation of the SAT antenna out toward the front and away from the internal obstructions should resolve reception problems.  Hope this helps.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »

Ohiobellboy... a friend of mine has a RG and we've had his fairing off several times to install upgraded sound components and scope out where the XM module and antenna I sold him would be installed.  The mounting bracket sticks the SAT antenna in a less than optimal place under the fairing (see attached document) versus where it gets placed in the Ultras.  Relocation of the SAT antenna out toward the front and away from the internal obstructions should resolve reception problems.  Hope this helps.
Downloaded and saved for future reference. TY sir. :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »

I have to admit not understanding the effect on direction of travel.  Even if the antenna we're shielded from some EM signal the sat signal comes from above. So not getting how traveling north, east, west or south would make a significant difference.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »

If you move the antenna to the outside of the fairing, reception improvement will be much greater than any position inside the fairing.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Road Runner

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »

You'd think that direction of travel would make no difference, but it did.  Can't readily explain it, but perhaps the azimuth and elevation of the SAT transmitting the XM signal play a big part in strength and reception.  I know that thick trees can block reception.

I'm no comm expert, but I do know that once I moved the antenna out front of everything and away from direct obstructions inside the fairing, my signal strength improved drastically.  More importantly... the improved reception made my wife VERY happy on our ride the next day since she enjoys listening to XM as much as I do, and if the "boss" is happy - I'm happy.  :pineapple: :pepper: :orange: :bananarock:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 08:12:45 PM »

If you move the antenna to the outside of the fairing, reception improvement will be much greater than any position inside the fairing.

Best luck I've ever had was with it two-sided taped right on top of my helmet.  If I hold the left arm just right while putting tongue behind right side molars it's also better.  But just a little bit.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »

You'd think that direction of travel would make no difference, but it did.  Can't readily explain it, but perhaps the azimuth and elevation of the SAT transmitting the XM signal play a big part in strength and reception.  I know that thick trees can block reception.

I'm no comm expert, but I do know that once I moved the antenna out front of everything and away from direct obstructions inside the fairing, my signal strength improved drastically.  More importantly... the improved reception made my wife VERY happy on our ride the next day since she enjoys listening to XM as much as I do, and if the "boss" is happy - I'm happy.  :pineapple: :pepper: :orange: :bananarock:

There's the important detail of the entire episode.  Ride on :drink: !

Road Runner

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

There's the important detail of the entire episode.  Ride on :drink: !

Absolutely!

If my relocation didn't work, I was going to go with a hangar wrapped in tin foil mounted to the back luggage rack. :coolblue:

Ride safe! Cheers!  :2vrolijk_09:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.