Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil/Transmission Fluid Change Questions  (Read 10279 times)

duhl32

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Oil/Transmission Fluid Change Questions
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »

I just bought a 2008 CVO Softail Springer, has 3,200 miles on it.  Just for my own peace of mind I want to change oil, primary oil, & transmission fluid.  I have owned 5 other HD's, but never a CVO or a 110 SE.  How many quarts of oil does it take for engine?  How much for the primary?  Ok to use same oil that goes to engine?  What type of oil is recommended?  20w50?  I don't care too much for HD oil, I have used Mobil in the past, but am open to suggestions.  Same ?s for transmission - how much?  what types?

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
Re: Oil/Transmission Fluid Change Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »

I just bought a 2008 CVO Softail Springer, has 3,200 miles on it.  Just for my own peace of mind I want to change oil, primary oil, & transmission fluid.  I have owned 5 other HD's, but never a CVO or a 110 SE.  How many quarts of oil does it take for engine?  How much for the primary?  Ok to use same oil that goes to engine?  What type of oil is recommended?  20w50?  I don't care too much for HD oil, I have used Mobil in the past, but am open to suggestions.  Same ?s for transmission - how much?  what types?
Engine Oil Capacity 3.0 qt. Primary 1.0 qt and Transmission 1.0 qt all the same 20/50 SYN3 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Lubricant- SAE 20W50-62600005
www.harley-davidson.com/store/syn3-full-synthetic-motorcycle-lubricant---sae-20w51-pa-12-62600005--1
www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/CVOs/2008/2008_cvo.jsp?locale=en_US
www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Specs/full_specs/full_specs_08_page.jsp?locale=en_US&dwp=&market=US&family=cvo&model=fxstsse

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »

Softail capacities:

Engine  -  3.0 quarts (suggest adding 2 quarts, run engine for a couple minutes at idle to distribute oil and fill filter, then use the dipstick to measure actual oil level and add no more than what's required to reach the cold fill line)

Primary  -  1.0 quart (verify correct level by checking that the fluid just touches the bottom of the clutch with the bike sitting level)

Trans  -  1.0 quart

The CVO's come from the factory with SYN3 in all three holes.  You can do the same if you want, with either SYN3, Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50, Amsoil MCV 20w50, or any other product that is certified to work in all three holes. 

I personally recommend a real gear lube in the trans, not motor oil.  The correct fluid would be a 75W90, and you can use many different brands. 

Jerry
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:28:36 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »

I use Amsoil "Severe Gear", SAE 75W-90 for my transmission.  As for "Harely" oil, it might be fine, but they don't print the oil spec on the container, so I stay away from it. 
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

duhl32

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »

Ok, thanks for all the info.  Changed oil, primary, & transmission.  Now, how many miles are suggested before they are changed again?  All at the same time?  Or can you get more miles out of the transmission & primary than the engine oil?

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 06:01:58 PM »

My manual suggests (using synthetic oil for all) engine every 5m, so I do about 4m and before each winter storage, Primary every 10m, I time this before storage and before 8m, Trans every 32m, but I do about 20. 
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

MOBEAH

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2014 Ruby/Burgandy Ultra Limited
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:46:58 PM »

I have owned a Harley since 2004, I've broken in my bikes with Harley Oil, but after that I've use Red Line Oil, three different grades for all thre holes, The pink buble gum thick tranny oil I think is the best stuff out there, Mike

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 in crankcase
Redline Primary fluid in the primary
Redline V-Twin Transmission Fluid with Shockproof in the Tranny.

Noticeable difference in shifting when changed from HD Syn3 in the trans and primary.

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 24 queries.