Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The removable fairing for the CVO Breakout  (Read 7264 times)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
The removable fairing for the CVO Breakout
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »

I have had a number of requests to share info on the fairing I have installed on my bike. So here are the necessary parts and steps.

Arlen Ness 1/4 fairing for Wide Glide: Ness Custom Fairing for Wide Glide - 06087 Part #: 233292 (Dennis Kirk)
HD Quick Release clamps: CLAMP ASY,QK-REL,49MM,W'SHLD MNT - 57192-05A
2 x 1" Stainless steel bolts: Stainless Steel Button Head Screw 25-5/16-24 x 1-1/2
2 x Round Spacer, 18-8 Stainless Steel, Plain Finish, 5/16" Screw Size, 3/4" OD, 0.315" ID, 1"
4x plastic washers for the above
Masking tape.
Pencil
Drill bit of your choice – I used a step drill bit
1x Paint shop – recommendation Xtreme Dimensions – Joe Z

1 case beer – recommendation – Fat Tire because it’s a great beer and the BO has a fat tire! ☺
1x patient friend to help you out (the beer helps recruitment efforts also)
One plastic straw (not for the beer!)

Here we go:

Cut two 1 1/4 inch pieces from the straw and place them in the clamps where the bolt would go.

Cut and place masking tapes on the inside of the fairing where you think it would bolt to the clamps. You need the tape to be able to mark the actual spot to be drilled otherwise it is really hard to see where you mark the fairing since it is made out of black plastic.

Place the clamps on the front forks on each side of the headlight two inches from the top of the triple tree. Have your buddy hold the fairing so that, when you look through the opening for the headlight, you can see the headlight directly through the opening. Make sure it is as close to centered as possible. You also need to make sure that the bottom of the fairing is as close to the bottom of the triple tree as possible without actually touching the bike/forks/etc.

The plastic straws you stuck into the clamp will help you mark the spot where you need to drill a hole for the bolts.

Check the position of the fairing again, and then check your marks to make dang sure it IS where the bolts would go.

Drill holes where you marked the fairing.

Use the plastic washers to (2 per bolt) to separate the bolt head on the outside and the stainless steel spacer on the inside from the actual fairing.  No need to put anything between the spacer and the clamp.

Now clamp the fairing to the bike. Step back and imagine it all painted to match the rest of the bike. Open a beer and notice that the headlight is set too far back and realize that you are NEVER going to use a headlight extender on a CVOBO because it is perfect as it is.

Take the fairing off, and send it to Joe Z.

Get it back and put it on your bike.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:58:02 PM by camcvo »

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

Re: The removable fairing for the CVO Breakout
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:11:07 PM »

I did the following because of my previously alluded to OCD issues:

Optional steps:

3x Smooth Black Snap Cap & Fairing Windshield 3 Bolt Kit For Harley Touring
7x cap nuts for the fairing windshield bolts
9x rubber washers for the above
Black rust-oleum paint
1x Headlight Guard - Round Headlight Guard-7in-Full Dome
1x Flat window screen spline – home depot
1x 3M 4941 VHB Double-Sided Acrylic Foam Tape, 45 mil, 0.5" x 5 Yards (Dark Grey)
1x M-D Building Products 8462 Steel Garage Door Replacement Vinyl, 18 Feet, Black
1x Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant, 3 oz. Tube

Rather than using the plastic screws the fairing comes with for the screen, I used the HD fairing screen bolts and black caps. A Much cleaner look. I also used cap nuts, painted black using rust-oleum so the inside was as purdy as the outside.

Measure and cut the garage door weather stripping vinyl for the inside of the fairing around the headlight opening. This extends the opening to where it now goes around the headlight. Otherwise when riding around at night the inside of the fairing lights up. Looked kinda cool but ultimately very distracting. Attache the vinyl to the fairing using permatex adhesive.

Note: the following step is messy and not precise. But it really is necessary IMO.

Using the Permatex Adhesive attach the Cee Bailey headlight guard to the front of the headlight opening. This size is perfect for this fairing and it fits like it was meant to be a part of it. The problem is that there is no groove/etc to know where it should go. But try it without glue a couple of times and you’ll know what I mean. Once you glue it in place leave it alone for three days.

Clean any excess glue once the headlight guard is firmly attached. DO NOT attempt to clean up before the glue is set because then the headlight guard will move around and you have to remove it and try to glue it back again!! (Yup!)

Attach the 3M double-sided tape to the screen spline and place it around the headlight guard where it is attached to the fairing.

Now you are done.

The fairing has made a big difference as far as the ride dynamics on the highway. Before the fairing, I really had to try and stay on the bike when I hit 70 mph. The other day I a friend of mine ;) got the bike up to 100 mph and I he felt no pressure on my his chest/arms like before. Also it protects the headlight/etc from suicidal bugs so there is less chrome to polish.

Let me know if any question.

Cam
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:57:42 PM by camcvo »

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:22:55 PM »

When all said and done you'll have a BO that looks like this:

Cam

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »

When all said and done you'll have a BO that looks like this:

Cam
I hope not... that's looks "pixelated". :D :D

Seriously... nice write up I'm sure your fellow BO owners will appreciate it. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »

I hope not... that's looks "pixelated". :D :D

Seriously... nice write up I'm sure your fellow BO owners will appreciate it. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Thanks Fired00d. Actually my bike can go so much faster with the fairing on that digital cameras can't keep up with it! ;)

Cam

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:14:14 PM »

Thanks Fired00d. Actually my bike can go so much faster with the fairing on that digital cameras can't keep up with it! ;)

Cam

....and Cam, it's so fast it drained all the color out of your beard..... :huepfenlol2:

(I don't have much room to talk....just look at my avatar pic.... ;D)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:24:02 PM by Haird »

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »

....and Cam, it's so fast it drained all the color out of your beard..... :huepfenlol2:

(I don't have much room to talk....just look at my avatar pic.... ;D)
I'm glad you noted that the 'speed' drained the color. It certainly isn't because I'm older than dirt.  ::)

Actually my wife lets me grow my beard long only around Christmas because for the past few years I've been the designated Santa Claus for the big Christmas party we have for friends and family. So it being all white really helps with the justification to be lazy. I really looked the part before I lost 60+ lbs over the past year.

Cam

Roadstrdude

• NC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:14 AM »

Very Excellent Write Up....! Thanks Cam...!  Quick question.... Only One Case of Beer...?  :P

WildWes72

• Git-R-Done....
  • Full CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: CVO Breakout
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »

Good write up, nice work thanks CAM......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 CVO Breakout, Sedona
V&H 2-into-2 BCM Baffels
High Comp 10.5: 259 cam
Dynojet PV/Autotune Pro

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 01:49:15 AM »

Great job!  Great mod.  Great write up!  Great picture, especially with the special effects.    :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 06:49:16 AM »

Thanks guys.  :)

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.