Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: CVO Softail or CVO Road King .. opinions  (Read 5891 times)

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

• CVO1: '13 CVO Road King, 100th Anniv FLHRSE5
    • CVO2: '13 Camaro
    • CVO3: F250 Super Duty
CVO Softail or CVO Road King .. opinions
« on: July 09, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »

So, for some reason I am thinking of buying a 2012 CVO Softail convertible and selling my 2013 CVO Road King. I think it is because I believe that when I sit still at a stop on my King, it feels like it wants to fall over at times ( short leg syndrome ). I really Love my bike, but I really don't like that worry feeling I get ...it's only when I'm at a stop. I have this idea that I would "feel" better on a Softail and I will just have to except the fact that my King, I love, is not right for me. ?? Maybe I should get over it and deal! Anyway, just thinking out loud and putting it out there...
"It's All Good" FLHRSE5 110th anniversary, aka.. Road King. bars, Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, H-D Aux light kit, saddlebag guards, always having something else powder coated to black ;) ,  Sundowner seat(when ride is 400+ miles per day)... -aka Todd

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: CVO Softail or CVO Road King .. opinions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:48:35 AM »

Get a different seat for the RK with a lower rider "bucket" and a narrower nose.  Then if you still need a little more, get some good riding boots with thick high traction soles.  If you really like the RK other than this one issue, I'd hate to see you give it up over something that is relatively easy to fix.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »

I've owned late model softails and road kings. The softail suspension doesn't hold water to the Road King for any kind of distance riding. 

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »

thank you both... On the seat idea: I was looking at the Mustang lowdown. Any thoughts on that seat compared the seat on my CVO? My understanding is the CVO stock seat is already low, so would the Mustang seat really be lower?
"It's All Good" FLHRSE5 110th anniversary, aka.. Road King. bars, Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, H-D Aux light kit, saddlebag guards, always having something else powder coated to black ;) ,  Sundowner seat(when ride is 400+ miles per day)... -aka Todd

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »

So, for some reason I am thinking of buying a 2012 CVO Softail convertible and selling my 2013 CVO Road King. I think it is because I believe that when I sit still at a stop on my King, it feels like it wants to fall over at times ( short leg syndrome ). I really Love my bike, but I really don't like that worry feeling I get ...it's only when I'm at a stop. I have this idea that I would "feel" better on a Softail and I will just have to except the fact that my King, I love, is not right for me. ?? Maybe I should get over it and deal! Anyway, just thinking out loud and putting it out there...

Air ride with a storage tank for instant air. This would allow you to dump the air at stop sign so you could comfortably flat foot and than raise the bike back up once you take off.

I wouldn't give up a King for a Softail, just my opinion.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 01:59:22 PM »

I'd do what Jerry said first. It's cheaper and easier than buy a new bike. The Softail will drag floorboards easier and not ride or handle as well. You can modify the seat you have now buy thinning the sides and even changing out the padding. If you narrow the seat and trim the nose area your legs will be closer together and reach the pavement easier. As a last resort you can lower the whole bike but that messes up the whole cornering advantage.

On the other hand the Road King is one of the most top heavy bikes of the line.

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 02:22:22 PM »

good stuff! I hear a lot of good things about air ride suspension. Right now I think I will work on the seat and boots plan. My local dealer has the Mustang lowdown in stock and said I can try it before I buy it. You know the rear fender strips under the rear seat? I did not need to remove them with the sundowner seat. I wonder if the mustang seat will fit without the strip removal as well??

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »

I removed the rubber bumpers from the bottom of my Mustang seat, and it fit fine.  Just fyi..my wife has ridden her CVO Softail Convertible all over the country, and it is pretty much stock.  It just depends on what you like as far as comfort, etc.
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 10:44:30 PM »

I suggest a lower profile seat.  If that is not enough lower the front and rear suspension an inch or so.

Paulsmerc

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2010 Fatbob & 2005 Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 04:27:46 AM »

I went from a RK to a Softail then bought a CVO Ultra, have a good roadtest before you buy you may regret changing. Having said that my other half prefers the back seat on the softail to the RK or the Ultra.

kr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 05:50:12 AM »

I had a 2010 CVO Convertible and traded for a 2013 CVO RK.  I would have a couple points for comparison.

I really liked the Convertible and I really like the RK.  But they are very different bikes in my opinion. You definitely sit much lower with the Convertible, you sit in the bike not on the bike. I even added a Corbin which probably brings you up a inch and you are still quite low.  The Corbin along with a set of progressive shocks...and I found the bike to be very comfortable. And a different windscreen. The major differences in my view:

1. Handling. Between the rake and I suppose the rear tire as well, I found you have to work much hard in the curves than with the RK. Curves are effortless on the RK.
2. Braking. The RK has much better braking, two discs up front make the different I assume.
3. Vibration. The Convertible is very smooth at idle and up to the 50-60 mph range. Beyond than you get a pretty good buzz, whereas with the RK...as you know...it is very smooth way past 60.
4. Lighting. The Convertible lighting is not particularly effective. Of course I had to add passing lights to the RK, so this might just be my need to see and be seen.
5. Weight.  They don't vary that much on the books but moving the Convertible around the garage was so much easier than the RK.  I generally kept the bags off so maybe that made some difference.  That is another minor point, removing the bags is a really nice feature as it results in such a clean rearend. And you can easily access the rear wheel for cleaning and checking tire pressure. With the RK, as you know, you basically have to remove a saddlebag to access the rear wheel.

I added a Corbin to the RK also.  Again that raises one a bit so that would not be an option unless you had it customized.  Good luck on making something work. 

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 06:48:06 AM »

Roadmonkey I am 5'6 and I ride a street glide. I can flat foot without any suspension mods. I run a reduced reach seat modified by mean city cycles and wear Harley boots with tall heels. The boots and seat with narrow nose and low bucket really get you down there. The low down should be very similar. I do 600 plus miles days in the saddle with no worries.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »

I was at a bike night the other day and a guy had a Street Glide with this wild set up. Air shocks that would automatically lower 2 inches at anything slower then 20 mph. As the speeds increased they would rise up again. ( he did it manually as well to show the crowd that gathered around ) Forgot the name of the shocks, but I am sure some one has heard of these bad boys.  Whats nice is these automatic. Look great to, all billet and stuff.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 06:27:16 PM »

I had a 2010 CVO Convertible and traded for a 2013 CVO RK.  I would have a couple points for comparison.

I really liked the Convertible and I really like the RK.  But they are very different bikes in my opinion. You definitely sit much lower with the Convertible, you sit in the bike not on the bike. I even added a Corbin which probably brings you up a inch and you are still quite low.  The Corbin along with a set of progressive shocks...and I found the bike to be very comfortable. And a different windscreen. The major differences in my view:

1. Handling. Between the rake and I suppose the rear tire as well, I found you have to work much hard in the curves than with the RK. Curves are effortless on the RK.
2. Braking. The RK has much better braking, two discs up front make the different I assume.
3. Vibration. The Convertible is very smooth at idle and up to the 50-60 mph range. Beyond than you get a pretty good buzz, whereas with the RK...as you know...it is very smooth way past 60.
4. Lighting. The Convertible lighting is not particularly effective. Of course I had to add passing lights to the RK, so this might just be my need to see and be seen.
5. Weight.  They don't vary that much on the books but moving the Convertible around the garage was so much easier than the RK.  I generally kept the bags off so maybe that made some difference.  That is another minor point, removing the bags is a really nice feature as it results in such a clean rearend. And you can easily access the rear wheel for cleaning and checking tire pressure. With the RK, as you know, you basically have to remove a saddlebag to access the rear wheel.

I added a Corbin to the RK also.  Again that raises one a bit so that would not be an option unless you had it customized.  Good luck on making something work.
very informative! thank you for taking the time to write.

Thank you all for your opinions

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »

Roadmonkey I am 5'6 and I ride a street glide. I can flat foot without any suspension mods. I run a reduced reach seat modified by mean city cycles and wear Harley boots with tall heels. The boots and seat with narrow nose and low bucket really get you down there. The low down should be very similar. I do 600 plus miles days in the saddle with no worries.

Jesse
I wondered if you had lowered your bike at all. Thank you. I tried the lowdown seat at the dealer today and it was higher then my stock seat but lower then my sundowner.  I went with the taller heel boots and that has been huge! I love my King and had a great little ride today. So, new boots is my answer. The stock seat on my bike is working best for most riding, but I will put the sundowner seat on when I plan to ride for more then just for the day. The sundowner makes me feel that I'm sitting higher but is super comfy mile after mile. Here's to many years and miles on the bike I already own =)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.