Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: FLSTSE3 Saddlebag falling off  (Read 13385 times)

mdraper

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3 - Softail Convertable
FLSTSE3 Saddlebag falling off
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »

As it was the first time I actually used the saddlebags on my FLSTSE3, I took special care to ensure the bags were installed correctly and the locking pin was actually locked in correctly. Then went on a 860km (500mile) ride. Some where in the last 60km (35miles) the left hand bags fell off.

Very disappointed with Harley Davidson Australia as they would not replace the bag as a good well claim. They stated that HD had do rigours testing on the mounting system and if the bag is installed correctly it will never come off. Interesting that if I grab the bag and shake it for 5 seconds, the locking pin move back and would eventually it would come unlock and the bag would fall off.

Poor design Harley Davidson and very disappointing that you would not do the right my me and replace the bag. The bag cost $1855 in Australia !!!

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
Re: FLSTSE3 Saddlebag falling off
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »

That stinks. You're certainly not the first owner to experience this. Pick up some zip ties when you replace your bag to help prevent this from happening again.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:23:26 AM »

Yeah I had the right one fall off the very first time I used them. Ever since I have taken extra precaution to make sure they are properly installed. I do not and refuse to use plastic ties on my 30K Harley. I haven't had a problem since then...so in my case I admit it was my error. And in my personal opinion I do believe that if installed properly they will stay on...it is just very damn difficult to do so and know that they are on properly. You would think that for 30K the MoCo could have come up with a better more user friendly locking mechanism...maybe something like what the new Road Glides have would have been better.

Ozoneman

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:17:59 AM »

Yeah I had the right one fall off the very first time I used them. Ever since I have taken extra precaution to make sure they are properly installed. I do not and refuse to use plastic ties on my 30K Harley. I haven't had a problem since then...so in my case I admit it was my error. And in my personal opinion I do believe that if installed properly they will stay on...it is just very damn difficult to do so and know that they are on properly. You would think that for 30K the MoCo could have come up with a better more user friendly locking mechanism...maybe something like what the new Road Glides have would have been better.

Yes I agree that you have to be careful and make sure they are properly installed.  The only time my wife had problems was after having the bike serviced.  After servicing the bike they wash and clean them.  Two times the bike cleaning guy didn't put them back on right after removing them to clean the bike.  The first time we didn't catch it and one bag fell off the same day we picked up the bike.  The dealer replaced that bag.  The second time I checked it before we left the dealer and found it not installed right.  I regularly check it now.  It is so important to get all three contact points lined up right before locking it in place.  BTW my wife has 40K miles on her bike so there has been many opportunities for the bags to fall off, so I really think that installing them correctly is the key.
2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra, Stage 2 Tman 555 Torqster cams, Thunderheader 2 into 1 exhaust

mdraper

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3 - Softail Convertable
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »

As it was the first time I had used the bags, I took special care to make sure all three contact points lined up right and that the locking pin was engaged through the mount brackets.

I have checked the system and it appears to be secure, however after losing a bag, I now have no faith in the mounting/locking system and will use a cable tie as added security.

Ozoneman

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »

Just one more point to add:
One time I didn't have one of the slots on the correct post location.  Since we usually don't have the passenger backrest on the bike, it is possible to place the slot of the bag's bracket on the part of the post for the backrest's location.  The locking pin locked too.  I didn't realize it and thought the bag was on good.  Fortunately I caught it before it fell off.
2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra, Stage 2 Tman 555 Torqster cams, Thunderheader 2 into 1 exhaust

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:22:03 PM »

Ozoneman that is very interesting. Thus far everytime that I have used the bags I have also had the passenger seat and backrest/sissy bar on. If ever I intend to ride with the bags only I must keep that in mind. Thanks for the heads up.

lunker

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • CO

• CVO1: 2007 Road King - FLHRSE3 - Gone
    • CVO2: 2013 Road King Anny - FLHRSE4
    • CVO3: 2013 Convertible - FLSTSE3 (Wife's Ride)
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »

My wife lost her left side bag this past weekend on I70.  From the time we realized it was gone until I found it along side of the highway (15 min tops), some dirtbag had stopped and cleaned it out, including her purse w/credit cards, drivers license, gloves, glasses, etc.  They did leave the key fob laying on top of the bag which was good as she had turned her bike off when we stopped.  So if anyone has a left side bag  (brown) available let me know!

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »

Hey Lunker,
I am sorry to hear that...that really sucks!!!  And then to have some jagoff (thats Pittsburgh talk for dirtbag) break in and steal your stuff. That double sucks!!! I was on my way to Erie, PA bike week traveling north on I79 two years ago when I felt an ever so slight change in the feel of Rose...thats my 2012 cvo convertible.  I look in my mirror and theres my right side saddlebag bouncing and spinning in circles in the middle of the interstate.  Thank God no one was riding behind me...they could have been killed. Luckily you were leading and not behind the Mrs. when the bag fell off, otherwise who knows what would of happened...it could have been a lot worse. The one good thing in my case is that I had the bags locked and it never popped open...and I mean to say it was bouncing, jumping and dancing on that pavement pretty good traveling around 70mph.
I apologize for discussing things they we both have already learned the hard way, but for those who may own a convertible and would like to avoid the experience we have shared, keep in mind the following:
Visually make sure the there (3) contact points of the saddle bags are properly attached and secured.
Visuslly make sure the small metal post on each bag extends into and through the bracket on the back of the saddle bag and visually confirm the lock was secure beneath the two upper contact points.
Make sure the knob is fully engaged in the locked position.
When you are sure of the above three steps grab the bottom of the bag with both hands and shake the damn thing as hard as you can then repeat the first three steps.
Then grab the bracket that attaches to the lower frame with both hands and shake that damn thing as hard as you can and then again repeat the first three steps again.
Then if you feel like your still not sure it will stay on feel free to install a tie strap to it.
I refuse to do so.
What else we have learned is always lock your bags...especially when traveling interstates.
Never leave your keys/fob in your bags.
And above all...never ride behind a H-D CVO Convertible.
Good luck with your future convertible experiences.
Stay Safe!!!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:40:53 PM by 2 ROSE »

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 09:40:37 PM »

Heaven forbid, but someday someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed because of dancing cvo convertible saddlebags.  If the MoCo had any sense they would do a recall to fix the problem before someone does get killed.  However, knowing the MoCo like we do the fix would probably be nothing more than another warning lable like they slap all over your new bike when you first pick it up.  It would probably read something like the following:
"CAUTION-STAY BACK 500 FEET
MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OUR DEATH"
 :)
To all of you CVO Convertible riders...STAY SAFE!!!

paconico1992

• Senior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2015/16/17/18 CVO Street Glides
    • CVO2: 2010 Softtail Convertible
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 08:13:11 PM »

Or just put hard bags on

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 09:35:08 PM »

I have a 2012 Satin Pewter with 26,555 on the ODO. Had the bags on and off many times for cleaning and have yet to have a "Drop Off" IMHO - if the bag is propourly installed and ALL three point are alligned and the the lock "SNAPS" into place  - the bag will NOT come off.

Good luck to ALL new owners.

WD 
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »

I tend to agree with Willie D. I have a 2011 with 12k miles and have had the bags on and off many times with no issues. The key is to insure it is properly mounted on all three points.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 11:44:37 PM »

I also agree with both of you. I do however believe a more user friendly locking mechanism could have been used. The bag falling off did happen to me once...it has not and will not happen to me again.

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 07:40:12 AM »

I had a brand new, painted-to-match King TourPak fall off the back of my RK coming back from the dealer! Heard a crash, saw my wife swerve (driving the car behind me) and saw my Tourpak lying in pieces on the road. HD investigated and ended up firing the install tech and I got a new Tourpak. I always triple check install on the tourPak and the saddlebags.
12" Buky Malos and engine guard, Le Pera Continental, Zumo 665 nav, black lower legs, matching TourPak, Madstad windshield, and lots of other "stuff"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.