Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SE Springer Replacement Baffles  (Read 3877 times)

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
SE Springer Replacement Baffles
« on: December 24, 2006, 12:28:01 PM »

I have gotten with a local Motorcycle parts manufacturer and I'm having a set of baffles made to slide into the stock exhaust on a 07 SE Springer.
They will be roughly 3 1/8 end caps with 2 - 15" baffles flowing through / around  1 3/4" center tubes.
His experience says they will be louder than stock, but much quieter than the older SE slip ons with only slightly lower flow characteristics. We can adjust the openings to alter flow / sound as needed at a later date if we want to.
I will be able to retain my stock Cat baffles without modifications should I ever need them.
He makes mufflers and pipes for both Harley and Metric bikes so this is not his first Rodeo
I'll post pictures and let you know how it works / runs
I wanted to retain the stock headlpipes and outer muffler and this seems like a good option.

also----Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everybody !!!
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

DHTDHT

Re: SE Springer Replacement Baffles
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 12:52:21 PM »

Wow, that is an elegant solution for those (like myself) who wish to retain the stock exhaust appearance. Are you able to remove the existing inner baffles without cutting any metal?

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 03:18:02 PM »

Yes
you need to get some Torx head "anti -tamper" wrenches ( from AutoZone ) and there are only two on each pipe near the back end. Unscrew and your finished
A Vise grip and a Firm tug slides them out and at that point it's up to you to figure out the alternative. I couldn't find any baffles that were already out there to just slide in but I got lucky and found a local shop that makes Harley baffles

DHTDHT

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 11:16:56 PM »

Don't these torx wrenches get you?  First Torx, then Torx Plus (I have them both). Now I'm going to have to get the Torx Security. Still, I love the way they grab.

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 08:47:36 AM »

OH yeah, I'll be replacing these darn things with a set of regular allen heads when the time comes I promise you.
So, anyone want to buy a set of Whitworth sockets from my old Norton from back in the 70's?

I still have to keep a whole set of metric out and handy for the 1982 BMW I have. It gets "Historic" plates this year ! ( it's a 1982 )

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 10:52:52 AM »

Well, they're on / in !!
Dennis Corso at a local HD aftermarket exhaust shop, made up a set of baffles for the stock exhaust system on a 2007 SE Springer.
After removing the existing factory baffles, the new ones slide in and are retained with the same bolts as stock ( only no longer anti-tamper )
They sound great - deep, with a bark at WOT but fairly subdued at idle and cruise. Despite the 40 degree temps I rode quite a few miles and it runs great. Remember it's all stock except for the new slip-ins and a K&N filter. Starts, settles into idle, accelerates, and cruises like stock only a little louder and a little stronger ( human butt dyno only I know ) As anticipated, the ECM adjusted for the filter and slip-ins. There is a very slight popping on de-acceleration but not so much as to alarm me . It goes in for the service campaign pretty soon and the Serv Mng said he'll have them check with the exh analizer to be certain I'm Ok
I rode to 3 different motorcycle buddies for opionions and all 3 said it sounds perfect. Not too loud and not tinny or cheap. Pretty Deep without offending the neighbors.
They are a approx 18" long, 1 3/4 core baffles with deep cuts along the entire center section. They have no fiberglass packing at present, but it could be added if I needed to adjust volume or tone later.
Dennis made an additional one and I'll go up and photograph it and post it. No need to photograph the ones in  my pipes - they look factory , albeit with a larger center opening.
Mission accomplished - the 07 now sounds like a Harley !
Please take your time when telling me the 437 reasons this was a bad idea! I can't read as fast as you guys can pontificate!! Just kidding - go on  - I need to hear how I could have spent another Thousand $$ / dozen hours and picked up 2.66 HP and 3.82 Ft Lbs of Torque at 5100 RPM because I nevere know when I may move to western Montana and actually get to ride that way !
Happy New Year
-Beerman

DHTDHT

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 01:32:53 PM »

I think what you have done is fantastic.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] You've retained the stock look, and it's easily reversible back to stock with only two screws per muffler. You don't have to store your original exhaust system indefinitely either. You won't get any criticism from me. Will your guy make more of these? If so how much, and how would I contact him?

I'm interested to know what the original core looks like. Perhaps when you photgraph Dennis' remaining core, you can also show one of your originals?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 01:42:41 PM by DHTDHT »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 01:42:17 PM »

I think what you have done is fantastic.  [highlight]Will your guy make more of thes[/highlight]e? If so how much, and how would I contact him?

I agree. It's not simple to modify stock mufflers and get them to work right! Does he do it for the touring mufflers as well? Good luck with the bike and HNY beerman! ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DHTDHT

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 01:52:20 PM »

I checked out Dennis Corso's website www.denniscorso.com (Kent, Ohio), looks like a first class operation. People who cater to vintage restorations generally do beautiful work.  I'm going to email him.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 02:57:09 PM by DHTDHT »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 02:07:53 PM »

I checked out Dennis Corso's website www.denniscorso.com (Kent, Ohio), looks like a first class operation. People to cater to vintage restorations generally do beautiful work.  I'm going to email him.

Hey DHT, would you mind asking about the '07 4-1/2 " touring mufflers as well? Thanks. HNY! [smiley=drink.gif] Hoist!  8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DHTDHT

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 03:00:29 PM »

Sure I'll do that, I've already emailed him, when I hear back, I'll inquire about those as well. I've got a feeling that he's going to require a stock core to use as a template.

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 09:32:14 PM »

He'll probably want to at least see a few good pics along with accurate dimensions
I left the stock core with him for about 3 days while they fab'd up the new ones
He made an additional core for use as a template with any other FXSTSSE owners BTW
Dennis makes the OEM replacement mufflers for old Knuckles and Pans you see in the V Twin and JP Cycle Catelogs - nice stuff for old Iron !

DHTDHT

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 09:40:42 PM »

I just received a reply from Dennis Corso and will be arranging to have some inserts sent to me at a very reasonable price. Hoist: you will definitely need to send him a baffle from your dresser if you want a replacement insert.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 10:12:28 PM »

I just received a reply from Dennis Corso and will be arranging to have some inserts sent to me at a very reasonable price. Hoist: you will definitely need to send him a baffle from your dresser if you want a replacement insert.

Thanks DHT. I'll contact him after I get the bike. Not a bad way to have spare mufflers! ;) Hoist!  8-)

kr4336

• In memory - Eugene "Gino" Silva & William Mullikin
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 09:11:17 PM »

A bump and cheers to beerman.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I know I'm not satisfied with the exhaust tone but am fairly satisfied with the stock looking pipes.  This is a great workaround.  Thanks for thinking outside of the box.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.