Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Input - Replacing Windshield on SERK  (Read 1915 times)

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 / SERK
Need Input - Replacing Windshield on SERK
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »

Hello all... just trying to be a little proactive here...   ;)

I recently ordered a new Clearview shield for my '08 SERK and it's supposed to be here Monday.  I ordered the version with the 7 hole pattern so that I could just re-use my current hardware.

Can anyone tell me if there is any adhesive tape / weatherstripping, etc. between the hardware and the stock shield that I'll need to be careful of when I take this apart or is it just metal and shield?   :nixweiss:

On that same note, would there be a need to apply (re-apply) anything between the hardware and the new shield?  

I don't have time to disassemble this thing before Monday but figured if I need to find something I should try to find out before the new one gets here to save time.  Patience is not one of my virtues so when it arrives I'm sure I'll want to jump right on the installation. ;D

Thanks.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:07:03 PM by Majorrocky »

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Need Input - Replacing Windshield on SERK
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »

The metal flat bands are glued to the stock shield, but they pop off pretty easily; just don't grab an end and start peeling so that it bends and you will be fine.  There was still some adhesive left on mine when I switched and was able to stick them to the new shield.  No need to add anything else.  I noticed an improvement over the cosmetic shield, but still get a fair amount of buffetting with the Clearview recurve.  Sometimes I use it, other times not.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 01:00:31 PM »

Thanks Gecko.  I suspected that there might be something there.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »

Same a Gecko. Just be careful. The recurve helps more the faster you go  ;)
That's my 105th SERK with the recurve on the clearview site.
RETIRED! :fireman:

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »

That's my 105th SERK with the recurve on the clearview site.

Brasspike,  if you had to do it over again would you still go with the 17" or something taller?  I really struggled with that decision. 

I desperately wanted to keep the dark tint because of the look on the black diamond and silver dust paint of my bike and I was afraid that the larger / lighter shields might look bulky / awkward so I ordered the 17" w/recurve and dark tint.  I don't get very much buffet on the stock "deflector" so I was hoping that extra 3" would be sufficient.

Of course I've been hoping that extra 3" is sufficient most of my life but that's a story for a different forum board... ;)!!

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:24:11 PM »

I have the 17" Clearview and like it alot. However, a few years ago I added a fairing, so the shield stays on the wall. But, it did a good job of pushing the air flow up and over my head. I'm 6' tall.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »

I just got my internet access back functional tonight so I thought I would post a follow up... I got the new 17" shield in Monday as advertised and did the deed.  Getting those bands off of that stock shield was a bit more of a chore than I had hoped... that adhesive tape on those things did not want to let go... >:(  but, with a little effort and a lot of care it worked out...

I got everything mounted up and on the bike but the weather here sucks right now and supposed to get worse over the weekend so I haven't had a chance to do a test ride.  I'll follow up again after that...

For what it's worth, I took some pix while I had things disassembled to give an idea of the dimension differences between the stock and the 17" w/ the recurve.  I have pictures of it on the bike but it's in the garage and they were taken at night so they're not very good.  I'll post new ones if / when we ever get any sunshine...  :-\

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 04:57:33 PM »

Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner. I was also reluctant to go with anything taller. At 6-1 I do still get some slight buffeting at 50 or so but not bad. 70 and 80 are great!

rottenroger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »

Ok, I've been holding off on buying a new shield for mine. I wasn't
sure what size or tint to get. I'm also 6'1". Right now with the stock
shield the wind hits me right in the mug. Where does the wind hit you
with the 17" recurve shield. How's your forward vision with the dark tint
and taller shield. I was thinging the same size and the lighter gray.
Code:

SE A/C
Rush Slip-on mufflers  2.25 Baffles
SERT
Chrome Head Bolt Bridge Cover
Ironside Passenger Floor boards
Flush Mount Gas Cap and Gauge
Standard Height Sissy Bar with Rack and 105 Annie Back Rest
Auxilary Passing Lamps
Clearview 17" light gray recurve Shield

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »

Ok, I've been holding off on buying a new shield for mine. I wasn't
sure what size or tint to get. I'm also 6'1". Right now with the stock
shield the wind hits me right in the mug. Where does the wind hit you
with the 17" recurve shield. How's your forward vision with the dark tint
and taller shield. I was thinging the same size and the lighter gray.

The wind hits just the very top of the helmet. The stock shield would suck the glasses right off my face  :(
Vision is fine. Their tint is not as dark as the stocker. You can get darker tint but I wanted to see at night. I have the lighter grey also.
I look over the shield when riding and, at night, watch those big 'ol B-52 bugs come right at my face and then flow up and over due to the recurve. They come so close that I blink!  :o
There is some low speed buffet, but hey, its a motorcycle.....
Like I said, at high speed it gets even better imho

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.