Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Compensator, Clutch and Possibly Shot Tranny  (Read 1009 times)

Lanesplitter68

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Compensator, Clutch and Possibly Shot Tranny
« on: June 28, 2018, 02:54:43 PM »

I'm not sure if these issues are related and was hoping someone could advise me on what the hell could've happened. Please bare with me as this is a long story......
I've know that I had a bad compensator on my 2008 fatboy for a few months now, but I only had that horrible clunking sound whenever I would refuel and the bike was hot. Once my bike was on it rode perfectly. A few weeks ago while doing my preventative maintenance, (just like I have 100 times before) I was adjusting my clutch, on both my primary side and on the clutch cable, apparently I must've tighten to much because my clutch cable snapped, when i replaced the cable the inside sleeve looked all chewed up, but did't really think much of it because once I put my new cable it worked fine, once I rode I noticed the clutch lever was a little tight but no biggy because it worked great. I rode about 110 miles and as alwasy, when I went to gas up, there was that horrible clucking sound. Bike started and I was on my way, but then a few miles later my clutch lever began to feel really loose, and I couldn't shift.... I pulled over and tried to tighten my cable on the cable adjuster, I spread as far as I could but the cable was still loose, so I pulled my derby cover. I found the clutch locking nut was totally loose. I loosened the cable, and adjusted the clutch at the primary (by the book) I made sure the locking nut was secure this time. But when I tried to adjust/tighten my cable the lever made a snapping sound and would not tighten. When I turned the bike on and put it in 1st the bike started to role while I still had the clutch lever in! So I had my bike towed. Once home, I pulled the compensator and yes, the rings were shot, then I pulled my clutch assembly and found my clutch hub was completely chewed up, I figured my clutch bearing is shot too. However, while having the bike up with both wheels up, I tried checking to see if the gears worked, I switched gears and turned the main shaft, there was a lot of play and a clicking sound before the wheel would turn. Does anyone know what the hell that is? Do I have to remove the gear assembly or is this normal?  Any assistance you guys could provide I'd really appreciate!

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 25 queries.