Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time to get a modular helmet.  (Read 5155 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Time to get a modular helmet.
« on: August 23, 2021, 09:59:19 PM »

One of my riding nightmares happened today.

I was northbound 101, number one lane, 60 miles south of Salinas.  Up ahead in the number two lane was an 18 wheeler.  I was already doing 70 so I ran it up to 80plus to pass him.  As I approached him on his left, one of his left tires shredded.  I watched as huge chunks of heavy steel belted rubber sailed through the air and across the freeway. I maneuvered my way around and through this hail of death.  Suddenly it felt like George Foreman punched me in the face.  All the cars around me backed off and disappeared.

I started to lose vision in my left eye.  I did not go down, and I did not black out.  I calmly rode over to the right shoulder and parked.  I looked in the right side mirror fully expecting to see my left cheek hanging off and and eyeball popped out. Luckily none of that happened.  The impact mangled my sunglasses and drove the left sunglass lens onto my eye.  The frame cut my cheek.  I wiped the wound with alcohol preps, and took two Tylenol.  I then iced down my eye socket with ice from my drink.  The vision in my left eye returned after a few minutes, and I was able to ride back to Campbell with a spare set of sunglasses.

A couple of takeaways.  Everything happened in real time, not slow motion.  It was all quick.  I am surprised at how calm I was during and after I made it to the shoulder of the road.  I know I was lucky.  If one of those large chunks hit my legs or arm it would have torn them off. I have always been deathly afraid of tire shredding trucks and ALWAYS pass them whenever I can. I never want to be behind a truck, and pass them quickly every chance I get. I'm not sure if I could have done anything else.

I have always ridden with an open face helmet.  I think it's time I bought a modular flip up.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Time to get a modular helmet.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 10:33:29 PM »

Damn Mark, so glad you handled it well and came out ok.  I have for almost as long as I remember sped up when passing semi trucks.  Little chit is always coming off of them and while I've not been as close as you were today I've seen them blow tires or lose caps.  Not staying there any longer than necessary.

Glad you're ok.  Bike ok too?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 03:46:41 AM »

Very good to hear you are OK, Mark.

This may help. http://www.bestreviews.guide/best-modular-helmets

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 08:34:33 AM »

"80 plus"?  Say it ain't so!   :nixweiss:   Glad you made it through Mark.

Every since I shattered my jaw in my accident, I've been wearing the Nolan modular (built in intercom).  Not looking back......still wear it.  However, now that I've moved to the Tucson area (very little traffic in comparison to Calif) I have worn my half shell more than I should.  Think I'll go back to wearing the modular full time. 

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 08:46:42 AM »

Mark:

Congratulations on surviving what could have been a disasterous event. 

Your presence of mind and calmness as the event unfolded is to be admired.

I don’t think I could have sucessfully accomplished what you were able to do.

I am very thankful you are safe and without serious injury.

I agree with your thinking about the newest modular helment being the way to go.

Best wishes for many miles of safe travels in the future.

Regards

Jerry

CVO To Go

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 05:35:06 PM »

I had something very similar happen to me.  I was riding my bike on I 95 in Miami and watched a complete wheel detach from a vehicle and come bouncing down the highway in my direction.  For a moment I didn't know whether to gun it or slow down to avoid it.  Fortunately for me it passed in an instant in front of me.  A close call for sure.

Dave

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 06:20:48 PM »

The bike is fine, and so am I.  I just came from the Retina Institute and the doctor said that although the eye did receive trauma and shock, there are no tears or detachment.  I just have a shiner where I got hit in the face.

I guess I should buy a lottery ticket.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »

If a shiner is tbe worse part then you had a very lucky day. Glad you are ok, glad the bike is good too but its repairable with a lot less pain than you are
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 06:32:12 PM »

I've driven a Semi- for 30+ years and ridden motorcycle for 40+ years and one thing I don't do is float by one of these trucks. I know what can happen from either side ... don't hang out in the "No Zone", just get by them and continue on. Glad all is good...
I know this is a different scenario, but A friend of mine was hit broadside a number of years back and when I see what it did to the chin guard of the helmet, it put me back into a full-face helmet, even a modular would have pushed up and been little more protective than anything short of it. Either way, glad your OK

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 07:46:43 PM »

Very good to hear you are OK, Mark.

This may help. http://www.bestreviews.guide/best-modular-helmets

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I bought the LS2 Valiant as my modular choice.  I don't use it much, but I am happy with the purchase.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 08:02:33 PM »

I bought the LS2 Valiant as my modular choice.  I don't use it much, but I am happy with the purchase.

Thanks.  I'm looking at the Shoei Neotec and the Schuberth.

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 08:13:19 AM »

Always been a fan of HJC. Think mine is the i90. Comfortable and has a little more front face room. I don't like not being able to scratch my nose.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 10:13:36 AM »

I be a fan of HJC and got the new HJC i100  https://www.hjchelmets.us/product/i100-solid/

The helmet is very comfortable and also has an integrated sun visor.

I would highly recommend it.
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2022, 04:06:11 PM »

Good to hear your injuries were relatively minor.

Some time ago after leaving Maggie Valley, Kathy (Spoiled), Brian (Hogasm) and myself were tooling along one of the mega lane highways around Nashville. Maybe 100-200 feet behind an 18'er when a rear tire blew, looked, sounded and felt like a bomb went off - we could feel the concussion! No debris issues, we were able to steer clear of it all.

But it's a wake up call, like others I will never stay alongside any truck, especially tractor trailers.

I started wearing a full face after picking up a good deal on a HD FF helmet at Ghost Town HD during a Maggie Valley event, and in 2012 I picked up a pair of Nolon's.
Never looked back.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.