Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ...opinions...opinions....opinions  (Read 3601 times)

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
...opinions...opinions....opinions
« on: May 21, 2007, 03:23:48 AM »

Hey guys,
Besides the usual upgrades to Air Filter, pipes, and an ECU tuning device (SERT, PCIII, Auto tune) what do you guys feel are mandatory upgrades, seats, tires, rear suspension, add bags, windshield, etc...
My bike is to be built in about 10 days (been waiting since October...Military Sales).  I have the usual upgrades already paid for and just waiting delivery of the bike.  Would like to get as much as I can have done before I have it shipped to Germany.

Thanx

Seegz :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
Re: ...opinions...opinions....opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:36:56 AM »

A windshield an bags certainly help if you want to go for more than a day hop. I put a corbin seat on my WG3 as soon as I got it and put the stocker in a box.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 09:07:46 AM »

A windshield an bags certainly help if you want to go for more than a day hop. I put a corbin seat on my WG3 as soon as I got it and put the stocker in a box.

I'm right behind you.  I picked up my bike yesterday and by the time I got home (dealer is 50 miles away) I was ready to toss the stock seat in the trash.  Too bad, too, because I think it looks terrific.  Unfortunately, it sucks. 

Getting back to the thread, I'll be going SERT after break-in.
'07 FXSTSSE

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »

Thanx guys, I was afraid of that cause the seats that I was looking at are gunna run me some dinero...like 1500 of them.  I am in the middle of a move from Japan to Germany which our Great Uncle Sam helps with, but every time we move the wife thinks we need to change the decor of the whole place to a new theme because the two house-fulls of chit we have in storage, is just not good enough.  I will have to put it on the wish list...and as my kids say maybe Santa will bring what I asked for so I can save you a lot of money, Papa.

BC, I have been reading a ton and e-mailing even more.  One conclusion that I have come up with is that the ECU that comes stock from the MoCo is not set up for the 96 let alone the 103 or the 110.  The boys are too interested in the EPA than in saving their motors from the extra heat produced.  There are tons of guys (many on this site) who are on their second engines.  I would rethink the SERT or other product to reprogram the ECU just to cool the engine a bit, using a pre-programed map, which will make it run smoother from most of the stuff I have read.  After the break in then have it tuned according to a dyno, after you add what ever other performance parts you were planning. 

I am having the pipes, air filter and SERT done immediately after picking up the bike, with a kinda vanilla map.  Then putting the break in miles on it...then the obligate cleansing...before having it dyno-tuned.

Thanx and if anyone thinks I am out in left, right or center field please set me straight...it wont be the first time,

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:18:30 PM »

Eventually, the military wives (23 years and a few months to go) give up on a total home redo with every move.  We eventually get the quality stuff that lasts and converts to any house in any part of the world.  When you get to Germany, the gov't gives you your washer/dryer/refrigerator/stove, you can buy from your predecessor the transformers etc.  They have flea markets and yard sales that you pick up fantastic stuff for pennies on the dollar.  Stay out of the PX for a couple of weeks and get settled without the whole house redo and you'll love yourself and your home for it.  Although, if I could do it again, I'd would have slowed down a whole lot of the huge solid wood furniture.  It is nice, but man oh man, you got to have a huge house to hold your stuff.  You can have stuff mailed to you at the APO address, and it is the same as mailing to New York, so you will still get the benefit of ordering anything you want over the internet.  Don't worry, you will do fine with the changes you are planning now.  Try to find out if there is a motorcycle club in the area you are going to.  Those folks will know how to get anything you want.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:29:44 PM »

Thanx MrsWe,
I hope so; my wife treats shopping as a sport and sometimes a contact sport depending on what is on sale... :huepfenlol2:
We have had a wonderful ride so far, being stationed in Italy, then Okinawa and now Germany...her feelings are that there are soooo many different wonderful styles, i.e. Polish Pottery, Turkish rugs, German All-kinds-of-stuff, French...Swiss...We are already well over 14K lbs and there is no sign of slowing down.  Maybe you could have a talk to her...maybe it will take 23 years we are only at 13.  Regardless, the experiences are priceless...I just may have to wait a little for the Corbin.  Appreciate all of your advice so please keep it coming.

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

Seegarsmkr

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 02:19:59 AM »

Hey guys,
Besides the usual upgrades to Air Filter, pipes, and an ECU tuning device (SERT, PCIII, Auto tune) what do you guys feel are mandatory upgrades, seats, tires, rear suspension, add bags, windshield, etc...
My bike is to be built in about 10 days (been waiting since October...Military Sales).  I have the usual upgrades already paid for and just waiting delivery of the bike.  Would like to get as much as I can have done before I have it shipped to Germany.

Thanx

Seegz :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :2vrolijk_21:

Hey Seegz...

How much more time do you have here on Okinawa?  Are you riding now?

Were you able to order your CVO through Military Car Sales folks?  When I spoke to them, it seemed like a big gamble--they said my name would be put in with others, for a drawing.  Didn't like the way that sounded.

Anyway, my Smurf arrived on Okinawa a few weeks ago and I'm now in the process of getting it legal for Japan.  The exhaust cert is the next thing--if it passes this, everything else will be easy.

Later.
Pbody...

2007 Smurf SEUC, Birthdate 9/11/06

Proud to be an American Infidel!

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 03:18:07 AM »

Hey Mr Pbody,
I am here for another couple of months.  I ride a little 400 Kawi which is perfect for me here because I fly at times and am not here to care for a 'REAL INVESTMENT' I like my little scoot but wanted a bike that had a near 100/100 ratio...HD finally came through with one.  I decided that New Car Sales would be the way to go...it turned out well...kinda.  I placed my name in the hat as you alluded to in October 2006, was selected in March and have a build date of 1 June.  The weather here beats up bikes and I live on the AF base (Kadena) and do not have a garage, though it remains covered.  The temperature is wonderful for year round riding but the salt, coral dust and humidity is brutal on chrome.  I am sure that you have been in touch with other bikers here already but most of the guys I know get their bikes Teflon coated once or twice a year which aids in keeping the brown metal eating gremlins at bay...at least a little.  I have not had the opportunities to ride like I would have liked...I became involved with the ice hockey program on the island and at one time was involved with 7 teams (coaching) and refereed a ton.  I was on ice some weeks 6 days.  I took it as a challenge to advance the game that I love and think I have done so but to the detriment of my ability to just ride and enjoy the beauty which is Okinawa.  My gamble paid off...I got the springer that I wanted with a 5 year w-----------y for 25K.  Another drawback for some is that you can't have them delivered to Okinawa they will only deliver them to the states.  Not a biggie cause I am PCSing soon and will have a bud pick up my bike and bring it to get new pipes, SERT and stage 2 air filter put on, before I get there to ride for a few days.  It will then be packed up and shipped to Germany.  Probably won't get a chance to dyno tune the SERT, have to use a canned MAP until the break in is complete and juices changed. 

Sorry for all reading this, prolly should have taken this response off line but didn't intend to get this carried away.

Ride safe and sunny side up,
Seegarz

Pbody--PM me if you need anything.  I don't have a lot of connections but I can always ask for you.

Seegarsmkr

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 08:47:23 PM »

Hey Mr Pbody,
I am here for another couple of months.  I ride a little 400 Kawi which is perfect for me here because I fly at times and am not here to care for a 'REAL INVESTMENT' I like my little scoot but wanted a bike that had a near 100/100 ratio...HD finally came through with one.  I decided that New Car Sales would be the way to go...it turned out well...kinda.  I placed my name in the hat as you alluded to in October 2006, was selected in March and have a build date of 1 June.  The weather here beats up bikes and I live on the AF base (Kadena) and do not have a garage, though it remains covered.  The temperature is wonderful for year round riding but the salt, coral dust and humidity is brutal on chrome.  I am sure that you have been in touch with other bikers here already but most of the guys I know get their bikes Teflon coated once or twice a year which aids in keeping the brown metal eating gremlins at bay...at least a little.  I have not had the opportunities to ride like I would have liked...I became involved with the ice hockey program on the island and at one time was involved with 7 teams (coaching) and refereed a ton.  I was on ice some weeks 6 days.  I took it as a challenge to advance the game that I love and think I have done so but to the detriment of my ability to just ride and enjoy the beauty which is Okinawa.  My gamble paid off...I got the springer that I wanted with a 5 year w-----------y for 25K.  Another drawback for some is that you can't have them delivered to Okinawa they will only deliver them to the states.  Not a biggie cause I am PCSing soon and will have a bud pick up my bike and bring it to get new pipes, SERT and stage 2 air filter put on, before I get there to ride for a few days.  It will then be packed up and shipped to Germany.  Probably won't get a chance to dyno tune the SERT, have to use a canned MAP until the break in is complete and juices changed. 

Sorry for all reading this, prolly should have taken this response off line but didn't intend to get this carried away.

Ride safe and sunny side up,
Seegarz

Pbody--PM me if you need anything.  I don't have a lot of connections but I can always ask for you.

Hey Seegarz...
I've actually been on Okinawa about 17 years now...  I probably know many of the same wrenches and contacts that you do--but thanks for the offer.

I've heard about Ice Hockey on Okinawa.  It was hard for me to believe someone got that much water to freeze here in this sub-tropic climate...  Coaching is always a worthwhile activity.

Congrats on the long journey to get your Springer.  You have a lot of luck and patience.  When you name did get drawn, did you get a choice of models, or did they only have the Springer available.  Once they told me about the lottery for a CVO, I didn't ask any other questions. 

I have an appointment with Andy to "Teflon coat" my new SEUC.  I'm in queue to send it to Tokyo for the emissions certificate.  As you know, failure of this test could prevent me from riding the bike here--I sure hope Mr. Murphy decides to let me get past this.

I actually rode my SEUC last night (with a Japanese Temp Tag), for the first time since I bought it last September.  Put 75 miles on her going up to Nago and back.  Trying to get her broke in a little before she goes for emissions testing.

Take care and good luck with your PCS move.
Pbody...
2007 Smurf SEUC, Birthdate 9/11/06

Proud to be an American Infidel!

Tommy2Tall

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 11:01:22 PM »

Yeah i have had my bike for 4 days now, and I have already ordered a Corbin Tan Ostrich Dual Touring Seat, Saddle Bags to match from Alligator Bobs, Vance and Hines Big Radius 2-1 Pipes.  The stock seat sucks, and the pipes sound like crap.  Also trying to find a decent looking raw Sissy Bar and get it painted to match the bike.
2007 CV0 Amarillo Gold and Candy Tangerine Springer
2000 Burgundy Heritage Softail Springer
1996 Black and Silver Sportster 1200C

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 11:11:35 PM »

T3,
Sounds like we think alike.  I am not sure about color though I bought the blue springer and I think that the tan looks good on your bike and on the red one but not so sure bout the blue one.  I am also not so sure about getting a blue seat...though gray may look OK.  I am about to spend an A$$ load because we are moving from Okinawa to Germany and my wife seems to think that a move includes a complete makeover EVERY TIME.  I think that Corbin is the way to go but am having some heart burn on spending 1K on a new seat.  The HIDs from Xtra are only the bulbs and have both the high and low beams.  It looks like a great option.  Do you know what number the bulb is for the Springer?  I think it is the H4 but am not sure.  The site for the xtra lights is http://www.xtralights.com.  They look interesting.  The people from this site that have used them are happy with their choice.  Keep me posted on your bike.

Seegarz :-X

Seegarsmkr

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 24 queries.