Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wheel hop or out of balance  (Read 3988 times)

the barber

• Full CVO Member
wheel hop or out of balance
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »

my 08 inferno has 220miles on it. I noticed that when im in 3rd gear and really on it i get a vibration or wheel hop.Is there something out of balance or am i just on it a little to hard?    thanks newbie and workn on some pictures.                   

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: wheel hop or out of balance
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:43:58 PM »

I would say to ride it for a few hundred more miles and when you take it in for the 500 mile service have your tech look at it and see what they have to say.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 11:02:52 AM »

The only thing I can think of is that you are at too low RPM when you get on it.The bike will shudder and vibrate if you do this,How does it do if you wind out the gears before shifting?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:01:05 PM »

Check the wheels for missing wieghts...I had some come off and the bike commenced to shake purty goo.  You may find remnants of the sticky tape..

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »

If you are not getting any vibration when you accelerate normally up to highway speed, probably not a wheel problem.
If you are only experiencing this when you accelerate aggressively from slow speeds, maybe you should check the belt tension? :nixweiss:

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »

thanks , checked rear wheel for weights and found none. I'm going to the dealer in two weeks see what they say, plus kinda like the hd wheel weights

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 07:23:59 AM »

Being the cheap bastard I am, I just paid a $5 for the chrome stick ons.

Were there remnants of old ones there?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:39:42 AM »

thanks , checked rear wheel for weights and found none. I'm going to the dealer in two weeks see what they say, plus kinda like the hd wheel weights

I'll have to pile on with the others and suggest you take it in and have the dealer ride it. It's under warranty and you shouldn't be in a possition to diagnose and determine this problem.

If you don't feel a vibration at 60 mph coasting with the engine at idle and the clutch in, then it's not out of balance wheels.

:indian_chief:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:05:52 AM »

I'll have to pile on with the others and suggest you take it in and have the dealer ride it. It's under warranty and you shouldn't be in a possition to diagnose and determine this problem.

If you don't feel a vibration at 60 mph coasting with the engine at idle and the clutch in, then it's not out of balance wheels.

:indian_chief:

I have to agree with Chief.  If it is not a wheel out of balance, then it is drive train related - either way it is not going to fix itself.  If it is a wheel out of balance, your tire wear is going to be adversely effected.  Your best bet is to take it in.

If their answer is "its normal, they all do that", don't believe them!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 08:25:35 AM »

MIKER no sticky tape which makes me wonder if they were there at all, and as far as you being cheap you did buy a nice bike! As of the 60 miles per hour test im in ne pa and were getting snow,so ill have to wait.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »

If your on the gas hard and getting a hop go MF the dealer.  I just look for the easy thing 1st.

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 10:40:36 AM »

Wheel spin 4th gear, 6000+ mi report.......Jack
« on: September 09, 2007, 10:41:26 AM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last Wednesday @ 4:15 pm, ambient temp 88, engine @240, surface temp probably 100+ and new macadam, speed @55mph, interstate hwy.  With a passing opportunity before me I decided to shift down to 4th and cracked the throttle and felt the familiar vibration coming from the motor and then transfer to the rear wheel.  This was going on @4000 to just over 5000 rpm's.  To my suprise there was no increase in travel speed through the whole transition which was of some concern because of the encroaching traffic, until I hit 5th, and then it spun with a revolution or two of rear wheel till it locked up and launched and returned my confidence in the decision to make this maneuver.

FXSTSSE 740 lbs, me 150 lbs and this bike doesn't even know I'm there !

My analogy, all there was in 4th was wheel spin.

In the beginning of this relationship FXSTSSE & me, third gear in the power band would offer wheel slip whenever I wanted it, to a limited degree.  4th in the power band would make the rear end hop to a lesser degree.

I have found that this bike has only @ 1500 usable rpm's 3rd thru 5th at @ 2200-@3700 depending on the gear before it flattens out, and the torque is scary flat out.  I can advance my position in traffic in only seconds like a time warp.

WARNING: Just outside the center of the rear tire has less road surface and will offer more slip, which is why I believe in this case started the slip and did not let up all thru 4th gear.

Another analogy:  In this forum we have mentioned engine vibration from this bike.  I believe this is due to the "Power to the Pavement Factor" when under load.  We have the only balanced 110(B) engine offered in any of the 2007 SE Classes.  I wouldn't have it any other way, rigid mounted and balanced.  I can feel more of what this bike is made of  and lovin' every second of it.......

Semper Fi,

Jack

FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Street Glide Orange Lava
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »

My 07 has same under high torque loads but it is not wheel hop, have driven 2 others and they are same. Nature of the beast
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS A DRINK

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 06:16:16 AM »

barber,

Now that you have many more miles on your bike, you have probably figured out that the hop is the tire trying to break loose.  Now it probably spins, no hop.  I noticed mine doing that as well, then K's later in 4th, as you described, way back in my low mileage. Now it spins in 4th, no hop.  Based on my VIP's advice, this is also attributed to the amt of tread left.

Obviously no one wants to hear this, but I'll mention it one more time.  "Power to the Pavement Factor", vibration up front, torque to the rear wheel.  Vibration in the rear, wheel wheel spinning.

Care to scare the Hell our of yourself ?  1) Do this only going up hill to get more bite and a straight clear shot.  2) Do this on as perfect a road surface you can find, no tar strips etc, the rear wheel will look for every opportunity to break loose. 3rd gear @4000 and hold steady, then crank it to 5000-5500 and really hold on.  5000 comes on in a hurry, you should feel equal amts of vibration, and a lot of it at both ends.  Takes the boredom out of a long day.

Mind you, no one has reported my kind of K's, until recently.  I have been testing my bike as soon as I felt comfortable with it.  The more K's the better it gets and you with the bike.  You are headed where I have already been, good luck with that.  This bike is Magical and an Animal, enjoy the ride.

Those who have offered advice, most don't have your ride, even though most have offered in a genuine good way.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 11:38:09 AM by Jack »
FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.