Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the 08 CVO Springer really like?  (Read 2002 times)

SuperBogs

What's the 08 CVO Springer really like?
« on: March 19, 2008, 05:31:33 PM »

Hi All

Just new here and am looking at a 08 SE Springer. I have some questions for you guys though as I am  :-\

I know that it's hit and miss with the head leaks,etc.  Is there a real fix for this though? Warranties expire and if the MOCO does not do a recall for this problem and actually fix it then the buyer will have to deal with it after the fact, correct? If there is a way to finally be rid of this problem I would like to know.

I have heard people  :o when they hear of a springer going over triple digits. They say the rider must be crazy to do this on a springer. I have never actually ridden a springer but are they that much different to a regular softail? I heard years ago they have poor front brakes but was a design feature because the springer front end was too weak to handle super heavy braking, is there any truth in this? Why do I hear so many complaining about crappy front brakes? Is there a 100% fix for this also?

I have also heard that the springers front suspension is stiffer then a Softail or a Dyna's front, true and if so how do it really feel? Before I buy this bike I am going to have to try it for a ride to make sure it's the right bike for me, would hate to pay all that money and  :'(

I LOVE THIS BIKE though and really want to hear good things. I want the truth though of course soooooo.....hit me with your best shot.... :D

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
Re: What's the 08 CVO Springer really like?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »

Hi All

Just new here and am looking at a 08 SE Springer. I have some questions for you guys though as I am  :-\

I know that it's hit and miss with the head leaks,etc.  Is there a real fix for this though? Warranties expire and if the MOCO does not do a recall for this problem and actually fix it then the buyer will have to deal with it after the fact, correct? If there is a way to finally be rid of this problem I would like to know.

Only had mine for 350 miles so far, I do feel they will stand behind the problem and fix them

I have heard people  :o when they hear of a springer going over triple digits. They say the rider must be crazy to do this on a springer. I have never actually ridden a springer but are they that much different to a regular softail? I heard years ago they have poor front brakes but was a design feature because the springer front end was too weak to handle super heavy braking, is there any truth in this? Why do I hear so many complaining about crappy front brakes? Is there a 100% fix for this also?

I have ran it up to 110 and it was very stable. I think that is due to the front tire being a 130 18inch on a 10 spoke forged aluminum rim, the regular spoke rims do have movement in them no matter how true and tight the spokes are. They left the single piston brake on the front so you couldnt set it down hard, thats what a lot of people are complaining about the soft front brake, its for there own good they just dont see it.

I have also heard that the springers front suspension is stiffer then a Softail or a Dyna's front, true and if so how do it really feel? Before I buy this bike I am going to have to try it for a ride to make sure it's the right bike for me, would hate to pay all that money and  :'(

I have had a lot of different springers during my 40 years of scooter riding some on hardtails and some on soft and even one on a trike ooooohhhhh stay away from that one, I will say this bike handles like a dream in town and on the highway. You must stay on top of the maintenance, the rougher the road the more you need to check it

I LOVE THIS BIKE though and really want to hear good things. I want the truth though of course soooooo.....hit me with your best shot.... :D
They are one sexy looking bike, good luck with your decision and I hope this helped.

yoderjl

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 07:17:52 PM »

i have an 08 springer. I absolutly love it. the ride is in my opinion as good or better than my buddies 07 night train. i have spent two whole days riding it so i can compare the two.

As far as the front brake, it is a little soft for my taste -but really after you get used to it it is really not that big of deal ( i came off of a Night Rod Special with dual front disks-BIG diff). I was going down city street about 40mph the other day and an idiot pulled out in front of me-the brakes did the job as needed. It was a close call though.

As far as the gasket problem-i am a little worried about that as well. But I would not let that make or break the deal for me to get the bike. I had to have it and i am VERY glad i got it. I did purchase an extra year of warranty just in case. I am sure there is a gasket problem, with all the reports of this issue, but these forums can make problems seem worse than they actually are. But i do read them before i buy a bike because they are great to get some good info from.

I would go for it-I sure am glad i did.

Happnin

Pagoda64

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 10:20:40 PM »

Had a Sporters about 8 years ago. Did not ride that much. 6'1 180, was a little tall for the bike. Purchased 08 SE2.. Liked the feel. Sat on all the bikes in the store  and this one felt right.. Not sure why, but it did. Was out today - 80mph without any shield and rides fine. Getting used to the bike, haven't been riding that long... Seems to corner nice, but not pushing it. Going across an intersection, see thumbs up as I go by. Did do some work to the engine and pipes. Had a few issues on oil, but dealer took care of it.

Happnin

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 08:30:12 AM »

Seems to corner nice, but not pushing it.

I can relate. Think I'll save the thrashing for the 1200GS for now.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 02:24:53 PM »

I am very impressed with my 2008 Springer.After riding sport bikes my whole life,I never imagined my self owning a Harley.That all changed when I saw and rode a '08 Springer. All I can say is this bike impresses me,and as a knee dragging speed freak,I never thought that would be possible.Trust me,you won't be disappointed!

I have a 5 year warranty,so I would hope they solve the problems with the cylinders.If not,there is always after market cylinders.Axtell is what a lot of people use.  http://www.axtellsales.com/

cvo_rider

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:25:39 AM »

This bike is awesome
Do not know about the longevity of the motor, but I also bought the extended warranty.
During the break in period I kept between 2K and 3K rpm. Not sure if that makes a difference though. Glad my break in is complete.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 11:50:04 AM »

I may be  :jack: but I have the 07 and even though it has the 21" it is an awesome bike.  I live in Germany so 100+ is not a problem the bike feels solid at that speed...I on the other hand feel like I am about to get launched off the back especially with a head wind.  I was a sport bike rider and am still getting used to the lean; more because of the weight and my confidence than the bike.  I have gotten close to the pegs but haven't ground them down yet.  The brakes on the other hand...I know that most of the guys say that they are pretty good...but they aint no sport bike brakes.  I feel like I need to grab a lot more though the response is adequate. 

I dazed once coming back from Coney Island and saw a see of red lights in front of me with me cruizing at 70 or so...because I was in a fog (between the ears) I grabbed a bunch of front and a bit too much back...by the time I stopped I still had 30 or so meters before the rear bumpers...and I sure as hell stopped a bit quicker than I would have thought possible...did I tell you that the seat cleans up real nice too?!!!  :nervous: :nervous::2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.