Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Upgrade '08 Springer with '09 front brake?  (Read 7185 times)

Cyphers

• '08 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: '08 FXSTSSE2 (Springer)
Upgrade '08 Springer with '09 front brake?
« on: October 07, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »

I've been considering upgrading the front brake on my '08 Springer, to the '09 brake.  There have been times when following my sport bike buddies, or when riding two up that I would have really appreciated a bit more stopping power.  I checked with my local dealer and parts alone would run about $650.  Forks and disc are the same, but would need new master cylinder, brake line, piston/calipers.  Has anyone ridden both an '08 and '09 springer?  If so, how much more stopping power does the front brake on the '09 provide?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

chriscraig73

Re: Upgrade '08 Springer with '09 front brake?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 01:19:53 AM »

I went with the Performance Machine 4-piston caliper for front and rear on my 08 Springer. (http://www.performancemachine.com/Categories.aspx?display=4) They made a huge difference as I normally ride 2-up. All nostalgia aside, the single piston that comes on the front of the 08 and earlier Springers is garbage and darn near unsafe riding 2-up IMO.

Cyphers

• '08 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  Apparently the MOCO figured it out for 09, but it took them two years.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »

Cyphers,

I talked to Performance Machine about their 4-piston caliper ( pn 1230-0017-ch).  They aren't sure if it will clear the "buttons" on the floating rotor, so I'm going to look into it.

What caliper were you referring to in your post, and why did it need a new master cylinder, etc?

TIA
If you want peace, prepare for war.

chriscraig73

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 01:31:13 AM »

I was able to use the stock master cylinder. I don't think they changed between 07 & 08, but I could be wrong. The caliper is the same, but the part number is slightly different because it mounts on the left side of the wheel (a change HD made in 08). Clears the buttons on the disc fine. One thing I didn't consider is the wheel diameter changed from 07 to 08, but I don't think that would make much difference to the brake configuration. Something to consider.

Cyphers

• '08 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:36:31 PM »

TIA

Local dealer looked up the '08 versus '09 parts, I was looking at putting the stock '09 (FXSTSSE3) brake on my '08 (FXSTSSE2).  He said the master cylinders were not the same and recommended using the '09 master cylinder and '09 caliper together.  I'll post part numbers he recommended when I find the darned paper I had them written on.

ed ammon

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 05:56:59 AM »

I have an 08 and noticed when riding 2 up its a bitch to stop as well, looking forward to those part numbers. Its also a bitch when doing over 100 as well but I think that is another problem.

Cyphers

• '08 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 04:02:45 PM »

Ed:
Parts are basically the master cylinder, caliper assembly and brake line from the '09 CVO Springer.  Part numbers are 42057-09 (Master Cylinder);  42077-09 (Caliper Assembly) 42286-09 (Brakeline).  Parts should arrive in about a week then I'll schedule service.  Service department said it should only be about 1 hour (or 2 at the outside) for labor.

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 05:21:18 PM »

Hope its worth it, I have an 09 Springer and wish the front brake could be better, been driving my '74 Z1A Kawasaki today and thinking there was not much between the front brake on both though the Springer has the edge

ed ammon

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 03:38:16 PM »

So is what your saying that its not worth spending the money to upgrade? :oops:

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 06:44:02 PM »

Well ive never driven the 08 springer so cant comment, was not aware there was a difference between it and the 09 model, drove the Crossbones and its front brake leaves a lot to be desired

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »

Hope its worth it, I have an 09 Springer and wish the front brake could be better, been driving my '74 Z1A Kawasaki today and thinking there was not much between the front brake on both though the Springer has the edge

Bogman,

It sounds like you're saying there isn't much braking difference between a 1974 Kawasaki and an '09 Springer...and that's sad.  Is the '74 a disc or drum brake?

Bryce
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »

Personally, I would leave it as is. The stock brake is "adequate," and most reviews of Harley's '09 front brake are underwhelming. The aftermarket front brakes don't look like they belong on the bike, functional as they may be.

Cyphers

• '08 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 08:01:03 PM »

Here's an update on the project, basically it won't work without machining at least one part:

I ordered the calipers, brake line and master cylinder as per the dealership then brought the bike in for installation.  I was then told (oops) they forgot to tell me to order the the '09 caliper bracket too.  After that came in, I went in for installation but (oops) the 09 axle is a larger diameter than the 08 axle so the 09 bracket won't work with the 08 wheel.  My choices are 1). replace the front wheel with an 09 wheel, 2). Machine a collar/sleeve to fit in the bottom hole of the '09 bracket so that it fits the '08 axle.  3). Return all Harley parts (dealer was good about giving a full refund) and try a non OEM solution.

Dealer is checking with other vendors (Performance Machine & Brembo for starters) if they have a bolt on solution.  I'm not too hopeful and will likely just have to live with the stock brake and give my sport bike buddies some extra room.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 10:14:39 PM »

Here's an update on the project, basically it won't work without machining at least one part:

I ordered the calipers, brake line and master cylinder as per the dealership then brought the bike in for installation.  I was then told (oops) they forgot to tell me to order the the '09 caliper bracket too.  After that came in, I went in for installation but (oops) the 09 axle is a larger diameter than the 08 axle so the 09 bracket won't work with the 08 wheel.  My choices are 1). replace the front wheel with an 09 wheel, 2). Machine a collar/sleeve to fit in the bottom hole of the '09 bracket so that it fits the '08 axle.  3). Return all Harley parts (dealer was good about giving a full refund) and try a non OEM solution.

Dealer is checking with other vendors (Performance Machine & Brembo for starters) if they have a bolt on solution.  I'm not too hopeful and will likely just have to live with the stock brake and give my sport bike buddies some extra room.

Leave it as is. The minute you start altering your bike from stock, the resale value diminishes. There is very little difference in performance between the '07, '08 and '09 front brakes. In fact, people have commented that the '09 is actually worse! I can not confirm that, but before butchering your bike, you should at least find out for yourself and test ride an '09.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.