Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 10k Service  (Read 1624 times)

Staylock

10k Service
« on: November 07, 2010, 04:10:50 PM »

I live an equal distant from 3 dealerships.  I had typically gone to the one in the country because it was a better ride.  I was ready for my 10 k service and called them up (dealer 1), they said 6 hours $650.  They also preferred I leave the bike over night.  No trailer so not very convenient to drop off. Called dealer 2 and they said 8 hrs and $850.  They preferred I leave it for several days.  Again not very convenient.  Some friends were going to be near dealer 3 so I called them, 2 hrs and $195.  Yes I choose dealer 3.

My question to everybody, do you find the dealers vary so much in their service time and price?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 10k Service
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »

I live an equal distant from 3 dealerships.  I had typically gone to the one in the country because it was a better ride.  I was ready for my 10 k service and called them up (dealer 1), they said 6 hours $650.  They also preferred I leave the bike over night.  No trailer so not very convenient to drop off. Called dealer 2 and they said 8 hrs and $850.  They preferred I leave it for several days.  Again not very convenient.  Some friends were going to be near dealer 3 so I called them, 2 hrs and $195.  Yes I choose dealer 3.

My question to everybody, do you find the dealers vary so much in their service time and price?

My question is, what exactly were those places going to do for $650 or $850, besides stand around and laugh about how some folks will fall for just about anything?  I'm not aware of anything special on a 10,000 mile service, so what you're looking at is basically a complete fluid and filter change plus maybe some adjustment and lube of the springer front end.  Check your manual or go to the H-D website to see exactly what is on the 10k checklist.

Makes me wonder just how busy shop #1 and shop #2 are if they overcharge everyone by 400% or more.  It also makes me wonder how many folks actually fall for this gouging.  Your example is just one more great argument for learning how to do this stuff yourself.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Staylock

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »

I am working towards doing it myself.  I had already done the fluinds and spark plugs.  Christmas is a table lift to help me along the way. 

chief48

• CVO1: '08 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 11:12:28 PM »

You'd think a 10K service would (should) be pretty standard in work and price from a Harley dealer.

ed ammon

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »

Do it yourself, you need to learn everything about fixing the bike anyway. No one can afford 100 an hour.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »

i think that the HD site has a detailed description of the 10K service, in fact i know they do!  I can't remember exactly, but do a google search.  It's a picture of a bike with all the inspection points.  I had it done on my 07 and it cost about $350.00.  I would also suggest choosing a dealer and developing a relationship.  I know my technician and he is the only guy that touches my bike there.  Acutally, i got to know the guy in the bay next to him too.  I trust him, I know that he will go through the bike with a fine tooth comb, and do stuff like adjust the drive belt and stuff which makes it worth the $350 with a complete synthetic fluid change.....not to mention it looks good on paper if and when you go to sell your bike?  Choose a dealer and get to know them unless your a do it yourself person!!!!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »

On a 2009 Ultra there is not a lot to do. My guy does everything in less then two hours and that includes all the BS we talk about.
Bill

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »

:beatdeadhorse:  
STAYLOCK  I suggest you get yourself a service manual in eBay book form. Can't always take your PC to the bike with a CD.  Don't forget the supplement for the Springer.  There is a parts catalog as well. Be sure and shop the prices.
My best choice for service H-D dealership charges me @ $350 with fluids.  
I do my own Amzoil so that will save a few.  Syn 3 is not that good of oil, that's another thread.
Parked mine for the winter with 30,000 miles. Been there done that !

Best perk, my son is graduating from UTI H-D in Phoenix, AZ this month.

Good Luck with all you do.......J
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:30:17 PM by Jack »
FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.