Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Oil spray on right side of oil tank  (Read 5666 times)

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 CVO Softail Springer Ann Edition 196/1050
Re: Oil spray on right side of oil tank
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 10:08:12 AM »

I am the second owner, bought it with 4600 miles on it less than 30 days ago.
2008 CVO Softail Springer Ann Edition 196/1050

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »

You think they will complete the "Gasket" work after all this time has passed???

Yes.  There was a formal recall notice issued for the gasket on the heavy breather installed on the Springer.  I have it at home so I'll have to post it later.  That is likely the cause of the oil leak as the same thing was happening on my '09.  

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 10:20:23 AM »

Here's a link to a .PDF copy of the letter.....

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25247.msg413221#msg413221
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »

Hey guys,
The Heavy Breather Gasket issue and the original recall letter are two different things.
I had the recall work done and it consisted of head gaskets,ACR's,and center case bolt. Since we have 08's the gasket for the breather for the 09 is not applcable.
Two entirely different recalls. Two different letters, and if your engine was manufactured after March of 08 it was not even part of the original recall.
Mine was recalled and my wife's was not.
Just trying to keep Brian from getting overly confused with these issues.
Shortdog

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 11:54:54 PM »

Regardless of why you end up taking it in to the dealer for, make sure you and the service manager do a pre-maintenance paint inspection so if something happens you'll both be on the same page.
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 09:01:59 AM »

Hey guys,
The Heavy Breather Gasket issue and the original recall letter are two different things.
I had the recall work done and it consisted of head gaskets,ACR's,and center case bolt. Since we have 08's the gasket for the breather for the 09 is not applcable.
Two entirely different recalls. Two different letters, and if your engine was manufactured after March of 08 it was not even part of the original recall.
Mine was recalled and my wife's was not.
Just trying to keep Brian from getting overly confused with these issues.
Shortdog

Correct, two different issues entirely.  The "recall", which wasn't a recall but a service campaign, dealt with head gaskets and some other minor parts on '07 and early '08 CVO110 engines, and was supposedly limited to two years from the date of the bulletin.  However, even if past the two year limit, if the bike actually shows signs of a head gasket problem I would definitely contact the dealer and Harley to ask to have the upgrade performed free of charge.  There's a good chance they will still honor the program.

As for the aircleaner leak, if there is oil leaking between the throttle body and the aircleaner then yes it needs to be resealed.  It should not leak, even if you were to fill the entire thing with oil and let it sit for days or months at a time.  And it doesn't matter if it's an '08, an '09, whatever.  Get it fixed properly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »

As for the aircleaner leak, if there is oil leaking between the throttle body and the aircleaner then yes it needs to be resealed.  It should not leak, even if you were to fill the entire thing with oil and let it sit for days or months at a time.  And it doesn't matter if it's an '08, an '09, whatever.  Get it fixed properly.

Jerry

Correct.  This is what happened to my '09 and appears to be happening to your '08.  The notice I found for this references faulty o-rings that need to be replaced.

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »

I had the same problem, it was an air cleaner gasket.  A very common problem.

Sinker
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.