Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Insurance while parked for months.  (Read 4607 times)

jmanderson6

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra CVO
    • CVO2: 2014 Softail Deluxe NON-CVO
Insurance while parked for months.
« on: October 06, 2016, 10:13:43 PM »

So I travel for months on end with work, and my next trip will be Europe for seven months. talking to my buddy from work he is able to put his car insurance "vacation mode" saving him a huge chunk of his premiums. I called allstate and they said they never heard of it for motorcycles. Does anyone know if a company that allows this to be done? when im out of town my bike is in a locked and secured storage facility. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Insurance while parked for months.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 10:21:14 PM »

So I travel for months on end with work, and my next trip will be Europe for seven months. talking to my buddy from work he is able to put his car insurance "vacation mode" saving him a huge chunk of his premiums. I called allstate and they said they never heard of it for motorcycles. Does anyone know if a company that allows this to be done? when im out of town my bike is in a locked and secured storage facility. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Don't know about "vacation mode". but plenty of companies will insure bikes for 6 months at a time and allow you to suspend for the other 6.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »

You're talking about dropping your full coverage and only carrying comprehensive (fire, theft, etc. ... basically anything not caused by a collision).  I do this in the winter months with State Farm.  Does save a chunk of change.

Rebel1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 11:04:29 AM »

I also have State Farm and also have most of my Harley's covered only by comp for the winter months.  It saves me LOT'S. 
I had Allstate many years ago and submitted a claim after my Harley was knocked over in a parking lot.  They denied the claim so I dropped them.  Allstate also used to lobby in support of helmet laws.  Another reason I dropped them.  Been happy with State Farm ever since.
Bob

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »

I also have State Farm and also have most of my Harley's covered only by comp for the winter months.  It saves me LOT'S. 
I had Allstate many years ago and submitted a claim after my Harley was knocked over in a parking lot.  They denied the claim so I dropped them.  Allstate also used to lobby in support of helmet laws.  Another reason I dropped them.  Been happy with State Farm ever since.
Bob
If you had collision coverage, then why or how could they deny the claim? Always nice to hear the whole story? This was a collision loss. If you had collision it wouldn't make any difference whether it fell over, you dropped it or a car backed in to it, still covered.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:50:02 AM »

If you had collision coverage, then why or how could they deny the claim? Always nice to hear the whole story? This was a collision loss. If you had collision it wouldn't make any difference whether it fell over, you dropped it or a car backed in to it, still covered.

I would be interested in hearing about this also.....I have Allstate now and am happy with them so far.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 01:08:10 PM »

I would be interested in hearing about this also.....I have Allstate now and am happy with them so far.

X-2 , plus the girl is cute at the office..
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

wrayzor

• Full CVO Member
    • NV

• CVO1: 2013 Anniversary CVO RG #379
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 01:51:48 PM »

I did this once with my motorcycle while I was deployed, however was informed by the DMV in Las Vegas, Nevada that I had to surrender the plates since I didn't have full coverage. I was unable to surrender them since I was gone and had to crap fest trying to prove I had insurance and paid a fee to retain my plates.
2013 CVO Anniversary Road Glide #379

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 05:23:05 PM »

I do this every single year. I just did earlier this week. It's in storage mode. It carries state minimum liabilities and that's it. I pay about $260 a year for insurance and get $120-$140 refunded every year when I put it in storage. I have mine setup to automatically restore full coverage on April 1st.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 10:36:31 PM »

In most states, You can only suspend "full coverage" if you do not have a loan. If bike has a lien the insurance company is bound to protect the lienholders interest. There are exceptions, Ordered deployment is one of them, but your lien holder may have rules that prevent it in any situation so any decision in this matter should be discussed with them prior to doing anything as most people do not want the "YOU MUST PAY IN FULL TODAY" because you have no insurance certified letter from the bank.
But if you own your bike as many of us do, then you can buy insurance by the month if you so desire.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 01:15:07 AM »

I do this every single year. I just did earlier this week. It's in storage mode. It carries state minimum liabilities and that's it. I pay about $260 a year for insurance and get $120-$140 refunded every year when I put it in storage. I have mine setup to automatically restore full coverage on April 1st.

What if storm, theft or some other damage were to happen to the bike itself while stored?

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 01:55:04 AM »

What if storm, theft or some other damage were to happen to the bike itself while stored?
It's in my garage so it's under my homeowners.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 06:22:34 AM »

You might want to read your policy or check with your agent as All State in Florida will not cover anything with a license plate under a home owners policy. Any claims must be made on the vehicles policy.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 10:41:06 AM »

Homeowners will not cover a liscenced vehicle.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »

I used to drop everything but the comprehensive during the winter. The bike was paid off so all of the other insurance was not an issue.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.