Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Rear tire choices/How may miles did you get on yours?  (Read 8562 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: Rear tire choices/How may miles did you get on yours?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 10:29:55 PM »

That could be another acronym! After all, it's right there in my Avatar!!! "When will my bikes be done?" Look at my Avatar pic for your answer B B!!! ;D ;D ;D

In this case I'm referring to "WIDE FRIGGIN OPEN!!!" :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

No chit, cause I was only jokin

I thought it meant Whine Fairly Often

Sorry Howie, nothing personal brother, but with Obi-Won keepin close tabs, the site's kinda dull tonight.

You and me are the only one's keepin up the usual running lines of bullchit

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 10:31:02 PM »

No chit, cause I was only jokin

I thought it meant Whine Fairly Often

Sorry Howie, nothing personal brother, but with Obi-Won keepin close tabs, the site's kinda dull tonight.

You and me are the only one's keepin up the usual running lines of bullchit

B B

Duh!!! ::) ??? :P ;D ;D ;D

Something to be said for consistency, huh B B!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 10:41:51 PM »

im still adding my 2 cents

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »

Just under 5K on my 07 and the center is about done....wonder if we are running too much pressure? (the sides look barely worn and I'm not known as bashfull with the throttle!) mayby too many straight roads....think I hear the Dragon calling!
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 05:59:20 PM »

Just under 5K on my 07 and the center is about done....wonder if we are running too much pressure? (the sides look barely worn and I'm not known as bashfull with the throttle!) mayby too many straight roads....think I hear the Dragon calling!

You might actually be running your tire(s) too hard. My personal feeling is 2lbs either way of mfgr's recommendation is fine and helps you adjust one more item of your chassis to your personal needs.

B B

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 02:38:40 PM »

8000  Miles on average and riding pretty aggressive - but in moderate temperatures.
problem I have is that the Dunlops are wearing square off if you don't counterbalance the long straights with sufficient cornering . On my Hypersports I got Michelin 2CT's avoiding that issue by having softer compound on the shoulders and harder one in the middle of the tire .

Rik

Cyphers

• '08 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: '08 FXSTSSE2 (Springer)
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »

I got 6200 miles out of my rear tire on my '08 and it was showing wear in the center.  I think Michelin's idea of a harder center and softer corners might be a good fit for our bikes.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 06:19:42 PM »

Here's the thing. I am an aggressive rider,but I have done zero burn outs.I do think I am pretty hard in the corners,and powering out of the corners,but that's not where the tire is worn.The tire is at the warning bar in the center and that is highway miles.Maybe I power up a little hard,but that shouldn't wear the tire like this. :o

Gearing down creates a lot of wear on the rear tire as well as hard braking.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »

8000  Miles on average and riding pretty aggressive - but in moderate temperatures.
problem I have is that the Dunlops are wearing square off if you don't counterbalance the long straights with sufficient cornering . On my Hypersports I got Michelin 2CT's avoiding that issue by having softer compound on the shoulders and harder one in the middle of the tire .

Rik

i find the metzlers i have on my dyno wear flat in the centre much quicker than the stock tyres on my springer, i must also agree with amarillo, that in europe we perhaps have more moderate ambient temps, even on long day highway rides my runs runs constant 110C, even on a hot summers day pootling along i have never had the motor cut out with over heat like u american guys describe.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 07:59:31 PM »

I've changed my riding style in recent years to shift more per centage of my stopping to the front tire from the rear and the result is that I've started getting 14K-15K instead of 10K on the rear.  But the front has dropped by about the same amt.  Evidently stopping on a heavier bike is just as bad as scrubbing it off the other way.  ??? har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 07:39:14 PM »

Got 4500 miles on and do not ride hard but the tire is starting to wear  want to put Metzlers on but they do not have that size from what my parts guy said.....

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 09:12:48 PM »

I heard the 210 metzlers will work,i will probably try them next,I am on my 2nd back tire in 9000 miles

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 09:24:14 PM »

The tire(D407) tire on the 09' SEUC supposedly has a harder rubber compound in the center of the tire and a little softer coupound at the edges. I've got 7200 miles on mine so far (mostly highway) and it still looks new.

I've always gotten around 10k miles on my 00' UC (130mm tire) and I'm at 12500 miles on my 05' SEEG and the rear is at 4/32. Of course this bike gets ridden the hardest. I have also noticed a significant decrease in front tire life since I started using the brakes 50/50 front and rear.

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 11:41:21 PM »

The tire(D407) tire on the 09' SEUC supposedly has a harder rubber compound in the center of the tire and a little softer coupound at the edges. I've got 7200 miles on mine so far (mostly highway) and it still looks new.

I've always gotten around 10k miles on my 00' UC (130mm tire) and I'm at 12500 miles on my 05' SEEG and the rear is at 4/32. Of course this bike gets ridden the hardest. I have also noticed a significant decrease in front tire life since I started using the brakes 50/50 front and rear.

Opee

I rarely use the back brake and only got 5k out of the stock rear tire.I like the sound of the Dunlop D407 and I am leaning towards this for my next tire.Of course I have no significant front tire wear since I only have a single disc,single piston front brake.You can literally squeeze the lever as hard as you can without worrying about locking up the front brake.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 11:56:44 PM »

I rarely use the back brake and only got 5k out of the stock rear tire.I like the sound of the Dunlop D407 and I am leaning towards this for my next tire.Of course I have no significant front tire wear since I only have a single disc,single piston front brake.You can literally squeeze the lever as hard as you can without worrying about locking up the front brake.
Sounds a lot like the front brake on my softtail......we both should invest in better front brakes.  :-[ har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.