Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Never experienced a high speed wobble before until now  (Read 6990 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Never experienced a high speed wobble before until now
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »

Hey Rich

All is great! Need to stay away from the HD store for awhile. That Black CVO SG! I don't want to see her in person.

JW
Come on.... you know you want a bike w/a Fairing. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »

Come on.... you know you want a bike w/a Fairing. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I too just had a birthday but am I that damn old? (55) I could always justify it by keeping one of the SERK's and having one fairing bike. What am I saying??!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 02:00:51 PM »

I too just had a birthday but am I that damn old? (55) I could always justify it by keeping one of the SERK's and having one fairing bike. What am I saying??!!
There is no age requirement... go for it!!! ;) :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »

Since it's not always the same root cause the "feel" is likely not to be the same either.  The red bike, when it wiggled in the sweepers was always aero induced.  Once it did it the first time and I'd had a mental chance to prepare for it could tell.  That baffle Louis mentioned helped.  Lowers on or off made a difference.  Quarter trailing position behind a semi and it's turbulence could often induce it.  That Road King was definitely swimming from the rear though. 

If the bike just gets all wonky and you can't tell it's going to be worse.  Hubbard found he could cause and mitigate some wild gyrations with Maude by where he hung his long legs sticking out on the pegs.  Air up under the inside of the fairing shaking the whole nose.

Like anything start simple and work your way up.  Tire pressure, add the baffle at the back of the tree, consider one of the rear stabilizers (they're not necessarily cheap but they are easy).  A guy around here was sure his front end waggles was induced by wheel hop.  He talked himself in to do the Traxion front end after riding mine and has also convinced himself that fixed it.  Though whether it's "fixed" or just hasn't happened yet again is only known to the Travel Gods.

It it's a tank slapper it's more likely coming from the front.  If it wheels like one end is chasing the other its more likely coming from the rear.  What's causing it at either end, however, is as shrouded in mystery sometimes as the rationales for White House foreign policy..

I was riding Sunday with a few buddies and we got a little rambunctious and took a sweeper in the 90's and my buddy to the left had a real "pucker" experience.

I witnessed his tail wobbling and starting to get intimate with a Guard rail.

He throttled up and rode it out, but my shorts were a lot cleaner than his.

He is now all perplexed on what to do and this is not a simple task.

The main questioned I asked of him, once you do a couple of mods to fix this, are you willing to try this out?

That Answer was a resounding NO!

That in it self is an issue.   You will only find out at an unsuspecting time.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »

@Keats:

you will never ever trust the bike anymore after such an experience.

Even as I ride the new frame now I'm still awaiting "the wobble" at each and every slight turn in higher speed ...

Almost entirely loosing control from one second to the next without any forewarning definitely gives you the creep of your lifetime.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »

@Keats:

Even as I ride the new frame now I'm still awaiting "the wobble" at each and every slight turn in higher speed ...

Almost entirely loosing control from one second to the next without any forewarning definitely gives you the creep of your lifetime.

I must admit selling a road king that made my AH try to exit my mouth.
Trying not to panic at the same time stay alive does seem to knock off of few years off your life.
I never rode that bike the same.

My buddy seems to think his problem is his back tire, so he is replacing.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »

@Keats:

Now that the wobble has reared it's ugly head, I'm aware of it. I agree the experience has heightened an awareness, but I still trust this scooter and ride her hard. I'm just more alert to her feedback! Of course, I'm not all that bright either.

JW

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »

i think there are two distinct wobbles mentioned in this thread. the high speed straight line tank slapper that JW started it with, and then the sweeping curve wallow. or are the two related??

that high speed wobble on decel only happened to me once, and that was on my 08tr  :nervous:, i'll never try and duplicate it for sure. my 1996 road king had the wallow in sweeping curves you could count on. :nixweiss:

just wondering

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 05:35:54 PM »

i think there are two distinct wobbles mentioned in this thread. the high speed straight line tank slapper that JW started it with, and then the sweeping curve wallow. or are the two related??

that high speed wobble on decel only happened to me once, and that was on my 08tr  :nervous:, i'll never try and duplicate it for sure. my 1996 road king had the wallow in sweeping curves you could count on. :nixweiss:

just wondering

TN

Further proof your smarter than me. I have tried several times and have been unable to "duplicate" the wobble. Just picked her up after having the Progressive Monotubes installed. Will give a ride report after some miles.

JW

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »

This can be called the "QUICKER PUCKER UPPER"

Formally FLHTCUSE3

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 10:57:16 AM »

Thank God I've never experienced this, but I refuse to go over 90mph. These Harley's aren't all that comfortable much over 80 anyway.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.