Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: front dunlop tire cracking  (Read 6678 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: front dunlop tire cracking
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »

my dealer he said he would have check the date code on  the tire and acted like he had never heard of a problem.

Acting like they never heard of the problem is a skill developed by many dealerships and unfortunately taught to the service department managers as a method of lowering the number of warranty claims. 
Yep mine tried the same thing then I called Dunlop followed by a call to Harley cooperate. I got all 3 of them together and the denial turned into progress.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 07:17:43 AM »

Yep mine tried the same thing then I called Dunlop followed by a call to Harley cooperate. I got all 3 of them together and the denial turned into progress.

That sucks because you know the dealer is going to try to charge you for the tire and then it covered under warranty for them so they get paid double.

I got 2 small hairline cracks at 4,500. Dealer said he would replace but could only use Duncrap. So I used the Metzeler 888's instead and paid the difference. Well worth it IMO
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 07:45:14 AM »

Had my second one replaced for this same reason while we were in California on vacation.  Now 8k later and back home, I noticed this new one is developing the same cracks.  Time to visit the dealer to replaced the first one last December.   3 tires in 12 months is BS.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »

That sucks because you know the dealer is going to try to charge you for the tire and then it covered under warranty for them so they get paid double.

I got 2 small hairline cracks at 4,500. Dealer said he would replace but could only use Duncrap. So I used the Metzeler 888's instead and paid the difference. Well worth it IMO
I get a new tire for free every 3k or so, hard to beat. The cracks are purely cosmetic but you would think they would get tired of losing $$$ and fix it.  :nixweiss: Oh well, in the meantime, I continue to monitor and have a new tire replaced when required.  8)

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

harleybar7

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »

Just had mine replaced. 9500 miles on it. The bike is off warranty. New service Mgr. (actually old one returned thank god) replaced it no charge, along with a few other things I have been fighting about for over a year. In 10 Min. he had me completely taken care of. I am a very happy camper now. I don't know why they feel it's right to jerk you around, but get the right person and they will take care of you. Seems like they ALL should be "the right person".
If Ailiens are looking for intelligent life, why are you scared?

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »

Just had mine replaced. 9500 miles on it. The bike is off warranty. New service Mgr. (actually old one returned thank god) replaced it no charge, along with a few other things I have been fighting about for over a year. In 10 Min. he had me completely taken care of. I am a very happy camper now. I don't know why they feel it's right to jerk you around, but get the right person and they will take care of you. Seems like they ALL should be "the right person".
I agree, I got 100% static from the service manager at my local dealer. I happened to call on his day off and hit it off right away with the other guy. I now only call or show up on Tuesdays and deal with him and not the service manager. He takes good care of me, he gets "it".

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »

Anybody have numbers other than one on Dunlop page at dealer right now and saying that at a little over 2/32 tire they will warranty. Call dunlop got recording.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »

I get a new tire for free every 3k or so, hard to beat. The cracks are purely cosmetic but you would think they would get tired of losing $$$ and fix it.  :nixweiss: Oh well, in the meantime, I continue to monitor and have a new tire replaced when required.  8)

Cracks are more than just cosmetic. They are happening for a reason and IMO they make the bike unstable and/or unsafe if left un-noticed and allowed to spread and get worse. And personally I don't want to be checking for cracks before and after every ride and replacing the tire all the time
Enjoy the Journey

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

you know what pisses me off the most?  everytime you buy a new bike, the dealer gives you a bunch of paperwork.  one of those things is a 'brochure' from dunlop that explains in great detail what they, the dealer, and you should do in the case of any problems with their tires.  one of those things is that if the tire is not more than half worn, the dealer should replace it.  if more than half worn, it is prorated at 50%.  you are just responsible for the dealer's labor.  yet, you read time and again where someone has taken a tire in to the dealer, and the dealer is not willing to do anything for their consumer.

Quote from: dunlop warranty
•You should present the tire to the retailer from whom you bought the tire or, if the Dunlop tire in question was fitted as original equipment, to the retailer from whom you bought the motorcycle. Except for mail-order tires, you may also submit your tire to any other retailer selling Dunlop motorcycle tires. Should you be unable to contact any of those retailers, please contact the Dunlop Motorcycle Tire Sales office at 800-845-8378

link to dunlops warranty: http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/warranty-info/
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »

It looks like this issue is not correcting itself.  Harley wants to deny it and Dunlop just keeps replacing tires without fixing the obvious design flaw in the tire.  Has anyone made a report to the NHTSA of this issue?  If everyone who had this tire issue did report it maybe Harley would be forced to work with Dunlop to correct it.  i spoke with a dunlop rep at the 110th and he stated the D407 and D408 are 100% Harley designed.  That is why Dunlop sell a similar tire of their own design under the name 2nd Generation American Elite.  To have your bike tied up because of a continued safety issue sucks.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »

Cracks are more than just cosmetic. They are happening for a reason and IMO they make the bike unstable and/or unsafe if left un-noticed and allowed to spread and get worse. And personally I don't want to be checking for cracks before and after every ride and replacing the tire all the time
Aaaaaannnnndddd I just had a new front tire installed today. Shipped directly from Dunlop to my dealer. That's the first time they have shipped it specifically for me and the THIRD front tire replaced due to cracking this riding season!!!!  :o

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »

It looks like this issue is not correcting itself.  Harley wants to deny it and Dunlop just keeps replacing tires without fixing the obvious design flaw in the tire.  Has anyone made a report to the NHTSA of this issue?  If everyone who had this tire issue did report it maybe Harley would be forced to work with Dunlop to correct it.  i spoke with a dunlop rep at the 110th and he stated the D407 and D408 are 100% Harley designed.  That is why Dunlop sell a similar tire of their own design under the name 2nd Generation American Elite.  To have your bike tied up because of a continued safety issue sucks.

Yes I have made a formal report there
Enjoy the Journey

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 07:40:24 AM »

well the dealer after fussing and showing him the Dunlop warranty charged me for half the tire, fair enough considering the tread, I also talked to Dunlop and complained he said the cracks in the sidewall are just cosmetic.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 08:57:25 AM »

well the dealer after fussing and showing him the Dunlop warranty charged me for half the tire, fair enough considering the tread, I also talked to Dunlop and complained he said the cracks in the sidewall are just cosmetic.

You do realize that if that was really true they wouldn't be spending all that money replacing all those tires, right?  Perhaps they start out as only cosmetic (surface) cracks, but they are an indicator of a real problem that could in fact get worse.  Many manufacturer's these days seem to think the general public is woefully stupid and will buy into most any lame story.  Case in point, all the ridiculous BS Harley and it's dealers spout to customers on a daily basis.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 09:59:46 AM »

I agree with you just thought I share. Like I have said if Michelin made a rear tire to fit I would try them.anybody tried the metlzer. I need milage we ride about 15000 miles a year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.