Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gas Tank Leak Test Method  (Read 4255 times)

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Gas Tank Leak Test Method
« on: January 12, 2005, 02:55:49 PM »

Does anyone have experience leak testing a gas tank?  [smiley=vrolijk_15.gif]

Particularly, what pressure to use?  Also, whether or not to submerge in water and check for outgoing air bubbles?.........or fill the tank with water, pressurize the remaining space with air and look for outgoing water.

Also, does anyone have experience coating tanks with products like Kreem?  I've heard both positives and negatives.  It kind of sounds like the preparation is the most important consideration to getting this stuff to adhere to the inside of the tank.
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Gas Tank Leak Test Method
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 04:13:54 PM »

TB;
I have not pressure tested a tank but I have used the Kreem tank liner several times. It worked well for me with no problems but i've had others that had problems with it coming off the tank. The most important thing is to follow the instructions thouroghly when preparing the tank for the liner. Allow your self a lot of time to do it because it is a very lenthy process.

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 08:16:10 PM »

I've used Kreem in restoring some old bikes and it worked well.  Just follow the instructions to the letter!
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 09:45:31 PM »

I was watching "biker buildoff" last night and some guy near cedar lake indana checks the oil tanks he builds by filling them with beer. If you saw the episode you saw it leaked like a siv cause the guy forgot to weld the bottom of the tank.

Seriously now....... I have pressurized tanks in bikes using shop air with a regulator and a very accurate low pressure guage. I would stay below 10psi, 2psi to 7psi is usually good. I pressurse with air inside, a shutoff valve after the regulator before the gauge helps monitor possible loss of air. If you have a leak motorcycle tanks can be easily submerged in water or sprayed with soapy water, soapy water will stay on the surface longer and will produce a buble if a leak is present.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 09:52:56 PM by reo »

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.