Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Did a bonehead move  (Read 6412 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Did a bonehead move
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »

The siren has a rechargeable battery in it, and eventually it will need to be replaced.  Thus the replacement kit in a previous post.  The battery is there to allow the siren to work if an unscrupulous person cuts the battery cable or otherwise cuts power to the siren.  

When you let a modern low or no maintenance battery go dead, it's almost impossible to get it to recharge with one of the .75 amp or 1.25 amp battery tender type chargers.  You need a lot more oomph to get the chemical reaction going, and I have successfully used a 10 amp regular battery charger in such a situation.  Just be aware if using a regular charger that you can't just hook it up and walk away like a battery tender.  It will need to be monitored to keep the battery from overheating.  

Once the battery is showing a full charge, you will want to do a load test to make sure it's still good enough to rely on.  Take it somewhere where they do load tests, or approximate it yourself if you have a good voltmeter.  Remove the fuel pump fuse to keep the engine from starting, and with a voltmeter across the battery terminals crank the engine for 15 seconds with the starter while observing the voltage.  If the voltage drops below 9.6 volts your battery is toast.

Jerry

Oh, btw, don't hook a charger larger than 5 amps to the battery tender harness.  There is a 7.5 amp fuse in that harness.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:43:57 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Did a bonehead move
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Well , I took the battery to the Indy that's right around the corner from me. They charged the battery for me and I just got done putting everything back together. Everything lit up like it's supposed to. I took it for a spin around the block. All is well.
  That little tender I bought will only top my battery off. Not fully charge my battery when dead. Lesson learned. Thanks to all who tried to help. I will have to look into that siren battery though. It was kinda faint when it went off. Time for a cocktail to celebrate.....................Fuzz :drink:

Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.