Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Installing passing lamps & wind deflectors  (Read 9678 times)

08serkrider

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
Re: Installing passing lamps & wind deflectors
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 10:50:47 AM »

Has anyone solved the problem of attaching the chrome wind deflectors (58121-85B) when using the custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket (69227-04A) to add passing lamps?  I've searched all over the web and so far no luck.  I saw a pair of clear Plexiglas deflectors mounted with a bracket around the front fork covers on a Victory which may work, and I just need to head over to a Victory dealer to compare the size of their forks to those of my '08 SERK.  Another option is to have someone custom machine a set.  The problem with the fitting is in the fact that the auxiliary lighting bracket is contoured on the outside.  The chrome wind deflector brackets are flat and normally fit right along side the removable windshield bracket.  I'm not even sure if I had a custom set made if there would be enough room to insert them and still have the windshield bracket fit (not be splayed out too far).  Then there's the problem of clearance with the engine guard which has been decribed in this forum.  I'd really like to find a solution because I definitely feel the difference in buffeting when compared to my old Road King which had the deflectors. 

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 08:55:43 PM »

Still no luck finding deflectors to fit. Took mine off to put on the passing lamps. Sure did notice the difference. Maybe someone will find a solution. Will keep looking.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 11:03:25 PM »

Has anyone solved the problem of attaching the chrome wind deflectors (58121-85B) when using the custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket (69227-04A) to add passing lamps?  I've searched all over the web and so far no luck.  I saw a pair of clear Plexiglas deflectors mounted with a bracket around the front fork covers on a Victory which may work, and I just need to head over to a Victory dealer to compare the size of their forks to those of my '08 SERK.  Another option is to have someone custom machine a set.  The problem with the fitting is in the fact that the auxiliary lighting bracket is contoured on the outside.  The chrome wind deflector brackets are flat and normally fit right along side the removable windshield bracket.  I'm not even sure if I had a custom set made if there would be enough room to insert them and still have the windshield bracket fit (not be splayed out too far).  Then there's the problem of clearance with the engine guard which has been decribed in this forum.  I'd really like to find a solution because I definitely feel the difference in buffeting when compared to my old Road King which had the deflectors. 

I should get back my wind deflectors next week, i had the bracket moved up 2 1/2 inches with new holes. Not sure the cost . They had to be re chromed.  I will get pictures and install them to see if they orke being lowered.  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

08serkrider

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »

Billy, I'd love to see the pictures when you get them installed.  I assume you to have the custom auxiliary brackets?  I can't quite invision what you did.  You say you had the bracket moved up 2 1/2 inches with new holes, but then you say they were lowered (...and install them to see if they work being lowered).  Are you talking about the wind deflector bracket?  It's integral to the deflector itself, so I'm not sure how you would have it moved up, that is unless you're talking about adding metal to the tab on the deflector where the attachment holes are located, and which said new extened tab would require new holes, and would obviously require rechroming.

Like I said, I'm anxious to see the pictures. amd I sure hope it works for you.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 05:41:59 PM »

Billy, I'd love to see the pictures when you get them installed.  I assume you to have the custom auxiliary brackets?  I can't quite envision what you did.  You say you had the bracket moved up 2 1/2 inches with new holes, but then you say they were lowered (...and install them to see if they work being lowered).  Are you talking about the wind deflector bracket?  It's integral to the deflector itself, so I'm not sure how you would have it moved up, that is unless you're talking about adding metal to the tab on the deflector where the attachment holes are located, and which said new extened tab would require new holes, and would obviously require re-chroming.

Like I said, I'm anxious to see the pictures. amd I sure hope it works for you.
Yes I did extend the tab. i guess my description was not very clear. I will take pictures and test drive the wind deflectors soon as they get back from the chromer. Yes I do have the Custom Aux brackets. Sorry about the confusion.  Billy

2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

08serkrider

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2008, 07:24:14 PM »

Billy, I was just wondering if you had gotten your wind deflectors back and if you had any feedback on how they're working?

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 12:02:46 AM »

I should get them back this week. The first time they only chromed one side Duh.  I will get pictures out as soon as I get them with ride results Billy

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »

Just got the new wind deflectors back, $250 bucks to have them modified. Installed tonightand will test drive tomorrow. I will post pictures if I could figure out how to resize them.          Billy

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 05:55:28 AM »

Thanks for the update Billy. Anxious to see what they look like and how they work
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

08serkrider

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »

Billy, anything to report on the new wind deflectors?  Have you had a chance to get them installed?  Anxiously awaiting.  BTW, I'm not surprised on the cost.  Custom work and chroming aren't cheap.  I took the SERK out on a 4 day trip this past weekend through the western and southern part of Colorado.  What a beautiful ride, but boy could I have used the wind deflectors.  I'm getting a lot more buffeting than I ever had on my '02 RK which had the deflectors.  I've also have this high pitched whistle which I need to track down.  It's coming from the front, so it's either the result of the custom passing lamp brackets, or the Frenched headlamp/passing lamp/turn signal trim rings I've installed.  On the plus side it's probably a great deterrent for deer, elk, dogs, gophers, skunks, raccoons, bear, cougar, etc....   :-)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »

passing lamps work great .. I will check this weekend to see if turn signals fit under  the passing lamps.  I'm sure that Marty from Snake Alley will make you a set.  I/m going 65 when it only feels like 40 I have to be careful. I had the same problem with wind noise I had to put a piece of round foam in the headlight behind the trim ring and all whistles stopped . very annoying. I think the deer can already here us without whistling.  Billy

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2008, 07:28:11 PM »

I also had the high pitched whistle. It was caused by the headlight trim ring. Used clear chalking to seal the gap between headlight and ring. No more whistle.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 22 queries.