Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Color Match of Factory Parts  (Read 3898 times)

mfgreen

Color Match of Factory Parts
« on: April 29, 2003, 10:16:43 AM »

Do any of the SERK owners notice that some of the colors on the most expensive machine that H-D makes do not match.  For example, the fenders, tank, saddlebags, and saddlebag lids should match and do not match? [smiley=confused5.gif]

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Color Match of Factory Parts
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 10:31:21 AM »

Do any of the SERK owners notice that some of the colors on the most expensive machine that H-D makes do not match.  For example, the fenders, tank, saddlebags, and saddlebag lids should match and do not match? [smiley=confused5.gif]

eveything matches on my 02, wonder if they had problems on the 03(s). do you have any pictures?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 11:01:37 AM »

The problem with the paint is either application thickness (color density) or batch to batch matching of color.  The problem does not appear to be metameric (different light sources changing the look of the color match).
The appearance of the color match has appeared on more than one bike that I have personally seen.  So far, (3) of the five bikes that I have seen have this problem. Maybe I have just seen the disproportionate amount of color matches.  Additionally, I have seen other fit and finish problems with these bikes.  Upholstery, missing parts and general lack of quality control.  Don't get me wrong, I love this bike. As far as pictures go, I do not have an accurate enough camera to insure that you would be able to detect this on the internet.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 11:11:16 AM »

wonder if the surface has anything to do with it, the fenders and tank are metal and the saddlebags are fiberglass. i havent seen a 03 in person yet so i cant really comment on any differences, as for overall quality i only had one isuue on my 02 and the dealer warenteed it for me. the chrome on the tank panel was chipped around the nut that holds it down ( careless installaiton  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] )
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mfgreen

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 07:17:21 PM »

I went down to the H-D manufacturing plant at 3700 Juneau in Milwaukee late yesterday afternoon and a customer service rep(Katie) brought a Q.C. engineer (Rusty) outside the building to look at the bike.  Both agreed that color did not match and asked how I would like the problem resolved. The question about different substrates affecting the color came up and since both substrates are primed to the same color the finish coats should render the same results.  I told them that I would prefer to not put on the saddlebag bras to cover the paint, however, I had considered it.  They said that would talk to CVO in York, PA to find out how they wanted resolve it.  Seemed fairly successful after a sixty mile (one way)  ride in the rain through interstate construction and early rush hour traffic.  We'll see what's up with that. 05-02-03  ;DGot response from H-D that new stuff coming in to local dealer.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 01:35:08 PM by mfgreen »

jbserk

• More Power
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 11:48:10 AM »

Anybody else have an offset fuel tank.  My tank is about 1/4 inch off to the right.  Been through normal customer support and then through HDs monthly evaluation board.  Denied my claim, even with pictures.  Say that it's within HD tolerances!!!  Alot of reasons to be pxxxed but the main ones are:  1) a bike of this value shouldn't have fitment problems at all AND when I'm cruising and look down at tach or speedo, and see the offset, I tend to lean left to compensate (kind of a subconsious equlibrium thing).  What can I do [smiley=nervous.gif] to get what I paid for?

Of course, when I purchased the bike, the excitement and glisten of the gold paint completely distracted me from this kind of detail...

Thanks.

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 03:16:46 AM »

I've noticed this offset. Never really bothered me because the offset on my last rk (99) was way worse. This was an improvement. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

scre103

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 10:52:58 AM »

i have the color match problem with the bag lids and also the chopped tour pack lid. the replacement lids are at the harley dealer right now. i'm waiting for the snow to melt before i take it over there.

another irritating problem i have is that one of the hardbag hinges is too close the the gold painted filler strip and is vibrating into it and removed the paint there and is now rusting.i brought this to the attention of the harley store here in illinois and they said i would have to take it back to where i got it and thats in wisconsin. my dealer in wis had me send in digital photos which he forwarded to the service dept  with an explanation. here's what the techy's wanted to know: what is the general condition of the bike, send a photo of the bike, could this have been done by overpolishing or improper care! my wis dealer assured me he would take care of this.

last year harley seemed to bend backwards for customers, they were elated that everyone was buying anniverary  bikes, and now that the celebration is over it's back to buisiness as usual. these serks cost 30'000$ apiece and i sunk in another 4000$ and i'm not finished yet. and i have to fight with them for a 100$ part damaged by improper fitment. [smiley=confused5.gif]

scre

03 flhrsei2
01 motoguzzi v11 sport rosso mandello
87 honda elite 150 scooter(for the kids)
se high flow air kit
kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs
se efi chip
se performance mufflers
chopped tour pack
standard clea

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 04:45:33 PM »

because of the way that the metallic lays on this 03 you have to watch the angle that you light and view it the silvery metallic particles cast a grey-isgh sheen that means that the plane has to be the same on both pieces to get a view of the color match.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.