Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Need directions or pictures with instructions for passing lamp implacement  (Read 18986 times)

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08

People,
I need your help! I have the service manual for 08's (touring). It does not deal with wiring inside the handle bar. Spending $ here and there has finally taken its toll. Please if anyone has pics or specific instructions on how to that would be awesome.  :2vrolijk_21:
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Need directions or pictures with instructions for passing lamp implacement
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:30:28 PM »

wires for passing lamps dont need to touch your bars

you have a toggle switch behind the nacelle
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:43:21 PM »

People,
I need your help! I have the service manual for 08's (touring). It does not deal with wiring inside the handle bar. Spending $ here and there has finally taken its toll. Please if anyone has pics or specific instructions on how to that would be awesome.  :2vrolijk_21:

Are you looking to add passing lamps to the bike? If so, any kit from HD will come with very specific instructions on how to do that. Naitram is right tho, no handlebar wiring is necessary.

:indian_chief:

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »

thanks guys,
  So if I move my blinker to the bracket how do I use my turn signals? I have to remove the existing blinker from the handle bar and wire the new ones, now that they are relocated to the bottom? I assembled lamp and new blinker in the shed prior to doing everything and stopped.
So basically I had to buy new blinkers to fit bracket. I have to remove blinkers on handle bar and replace them with new blinkers on the bottom of the bracket. If I hit the turn signal switch will they still turn on? I know what a dumb ( you know the rest) just don't want to fry anything. Sorry about the OCD thing, hope you all understand. I got dust on the bike sitting in the shed and had to get coffee filters to wipe it off. The only no fiber material I have right now. It really works though, try it if you are in a pinch.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 11:00:20 PM »

Do you have picture or a part # of what you are putting on? That would help to understand what you are asking.

owenja

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 11:02:33 PM »

I've been told that all of the wires in the handle bars are in a bundle and to relocate the blinkers that bundle has to be removed...the blinker wire removed from that bundle and then everything reinstalled.  At least two hours labor the stealer is telling me.  I'm moving the turn signals only (not adding passing lamps) on mine so that I will still have them when my fairing arrives from Gene next week!  Yes, I will post pics when it arrives...

Jim

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »

I've been told that all of the wires in the handle bars are in a bundle and to relocate the blinkers that bundle has to be removed...the blinker wire removed from that bundle and then everything reinstalled.  At least two hours labor the stealer is telling me.  I'm moving the turn signals only (not adding passing lamps) on mine so that I will still have them when my fairing arrives from Gene next week!  Yes, I will post pics when it arrives...

Jim

Ok, this is posted in the SERK area, so I'm assuming we're talking a SERK. The wires do run through the handlebars but the connector plugs are inside the headlight narcelle. So if you wanted to relocate the directionals to (where ? you don't say ?)  you can remove the directionals that hang from the handlbars by undoing the hardware and clipping the wires where they disappear into the bars. take the narcelle apart and clip the wire where it comes out inside. The wire is easy to find because both the right and left sides are connecte to one plug and form a loop around the other wires. So you can just unplug that connector or clip the wires back if you don't ever want to reconnect to your handlebars. Then you go to your local H-D shop and buy a male connector like the one you just unplugged and some pins. Solder the pins on the ends of the appropriate wires and then run them to your new directionals. If you were using the passing lamp setup, that comes with everything pre-wired and all you'd have to do is plug it into the female end of the old connector from the handlebar location. Anyway, changing the directionals is one of the simpler things because the wires are independant of all of the other wires in the handlebars. You'll see once you unbolt them from your bars and open up the narcelle. Good luck !

B B 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:28:35 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 09:29:19 AM »

Once again, thanks guys

the part #69227-04A I purchased. After closely looking at the touring model 08 manual and the directions coming w/ the kit make it a little clearer. I will take off the head lamp first and go from there. What about the accessory switch located behind the headlamp?

Thanks guys!

You have to jump from pamphlet to pamphlet in order to get the course of action going. 

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 09:34:53 AM »

Once again, thanks guys

the part #69227-04A I purchased. After closely looking at the touring model 08 manual and the directions coming w/ the kit make it a little clearer. I will take off the head lamp first and go from there. What about the accessory switch located behind the headlamp?

Thanks guys!

You have to jump from pamphlet to pamphlet in order to get the course of action going. 

My suggestion would be to hit up Hoist since he did this on his '07 SERK. I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you what he did. :bananarock:

:indian_chief:

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 09:41:08 AM »

lzyboy,

I know what you are trying to do........basically it is my understanding that others may not seem to get is that you basically want the set-up that a Heritage Softail has. Big headlamp in the center, passing lamps on either side with your signals hanging below the passing lamps.

Unfortunately I don't have the instructions on how to do this but I think the post above your last one (SPIDERMAN 
) explains it as good if not better than I might be able to.

I guess my question is why? Why not keep the turn signal where they are and just add the passing lamps? I know they make a kit for that as well. I do also understand that the kit your using REQUIRES you to do what you are doing because of the way the passing lamp mounts to the bar, you have to screw it into something and that something is (on that particular kit) the turn signal. It has the female thread to your male threaded light on the other side of the bar........or am I just way off base? If not, find some sexy acorn nuts that fit and leave your turns where they are.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:45:17 AM by sefatboyscott »
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

owenja

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 09:58:14 AM »

Ok, this is posted in the SERK area, so I'm assuming we're talking a SERK. The wires do run through the handlebars but the connector plugs are inside the headlight narcelle. So if you wanted to relocate the directionals to (where ? you don't say ?)  you can remove the directionals that hang from the handlbars by undoing the hardware and clipping the wires where they disappear into the bars. take the narcelle apart and clip the wire where it comes out inside. The wire is easy to find because both the right and left sides are connecte to one plug and form a loop around the other wires. So you can just unplug that connector or clip the wires back if you don't ever want to reconnect to your handlebars. Then you go to your local H-D shop and buy a male connector like the one you just unplugged and some pins. Solder the pins on the ends of the appropriate wires and then run them to your new directionals. If you were using the passing lamp setup, that comes with everything pre-wired and all you'd have to do is plug it into the female end of the old connector from the handlebar location. Anyway, changing the directionals is one of the simpler things because the wires are independant of all of the other wires in the handlebars. You'll see once you unbolt them from your bars and open up the narcelle. Good luck !

B B 

Brian,

Mine is a 2007 SERK and I'm moving the turn signals from the bars to the forks (no passing lamps).  I don't have the part number handy, but it's a standard HD kit that sells for about $150.  Does your above procedure cover this?  Sorry, don't know much about electronics.

Jim

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 12:52:10 PM »

Brian,

Mine is a 2007 SERK and I'm moving the turn signals from the bars to the forks (no passing lamps).  I don't have the part number handy, but it's a standard HD kit that sells for about $150.  Does your above procedure cover this?  Sorry, don't know much about electronics.

Jim

I believe so. The plug you're looking for inside the narcell is NOT a Deustch connector. It's a small black four pin. You only need the female side that is part of the main harness. I would expect if you wanted to, you could cut the wire close to the directionals you're taking off and pull both wires down through the bars and out. You should be able to do what you want by running the wires from your new directional location into the narcelle from the underside (it's open) and simply plugging the male connector from your signals to the female you disconnected from the handlebar controls. You'll see what I'm talking about as soon as you open the narcelle because the SERK is the only RK that comes without the spotlamp/directional setup, so the wires that run into your handlebars are obvious cause they are not bundled with all of the other wires. Bottom line, get started and if you need more advice, your CVO buddies are here for you.

B B

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 01:49:58 PM »

actually its a "6" pin

left run
left turn
ground
ground
right turn
right run

not neccasarily in that order

i forget who but  member here added passing lamps and directionals but also chose to leave the existing driections wired in

the switch on the nacelle is alreay pluged into the harness to turn on/off the passing lamps the plug into a small white 2 pin plug
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

owenja

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 03:04:40 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm not starting until I have the fairing and everything so it may be a couple of weeks.  Thanks again!!!

Jim

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »

Brian,

Jim

I too want to relocate just my turn signals to the front forks. 

I bought the $149.95 kit and it would look great, BUT....

It's basically the same kit as is used on stock Street Glides.  The problem is that the wires from the included turnsignals have to get back into the nacelle somehow.  The new chrome brackets will fit over the windshield grommets nicely, but you're still left with the wires to deal with.

On the Street Glide they take the wires forward about 1/2" right into the bottom of the batwing fairing and they're gone.

Also on the chrome brackets that you get they have a cresent cut out of the front edge of the bracket.  This is where the wires on the Street Glide escape from.  You can't do that on the SERK or the windshield hardware will hit the wires.  Also there is no way to get the new wires down and back up into the nacelle without just having them out in the open.

What I was going to do was to drill a small hole in the nacelle cover just behind the new chrome mount and put a grommet in the new hole and thread the wires to the inside less than a 1/4" from the rear of the new brackets.

Again another but... But doing this still leaves the cresent cut into the front edge of the chrome bracket to deal with and it will look like crap.

So off came my brackets and back in the box they went.  I can't return them now so I'm not sure what I'll do if I ever go with a batwing fairing.

Like someone else said, maybe the "others" currently running the Hoppe and Deadcenter fairing can fill us in on what they did.

Also what someone said about the existing wire for the handle bar turn signals is that they might be able to be reused for the mini powered speakers that some of the new MP3 players use.  Just a thought.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 24 queries.