Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wide Tire on 03 SERK  (Read 2980 times)

SERK03

• Bigger is better
Wide Tire on 03 SERK
« on: June 05, 2004, 08:17:23 AM »

I thought I would replace the 130 rear tire with a 140 or 150 this time.  I bought a 1/4 pulley spacer and checked the fender clearance.  I also talked with several other 03 RK owners who had made the change.  When I started pulling the wheel off, I discovered that we are "blessed" with the old 1 1/2 inch belt.  The pulley has only 1/4 inch clearance with the swingarm and the belt has only 1/4 inch clearance with the tire.  Definitely not enough for  even a 140.  I hope this saves someone else the trouble of trying.  It looks like the only way to pull this swap off is to go with a 1 inch belt and new pulley.

SERK03

mfgreen

Re: Wide Tire on 03 SERK
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 11:25:47 AM »

As I recall, from a discussion with H-D, the belt used on the SERK is the heavy duty one associated with sidecar usage.....you may want to ensure that the spec's for the belt that you are going to use are able to handle the power that you consistently will be attempting to put through this setup.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 07:22:19 PM »

SERK,

I have put the Metzeler 140 on both 02 Electra Glide and 03 Road Glide, no major mods required, took off the rubber strip off lower belt guard, enough clearance. Some I know who run the 140 Metzeler do not even take the rubber strip off, only time tire will rub is when you push the bike backwards.

The 04 FLH family of frames use. I think a Dunlop 143, pre 04 FLH frames have the Dunlop 130.

I found the Metzelers to be a better handling tire in the curves dragging floorboard and a great tire in the rain and occasional snow we get here in the spring and fall.

My 02 cents.

Gezzerglide

SERK03

• Bigger is better
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 08:06:39 PM »

There is plenty of clearance on those bikes.  Not so on the Screamin Eagle Models though, because of the belt.  However, the 04 SE bikes do have more clearance because the have the new wider 144 (or 143) tire.  I don't plan on changing because I doubt that the smaller belt will hold up.

SERK03

BIKER77

• HARLEYS FOREVER
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 11:06:48 AM »

SERK03, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. DM customs out in California has been selling wide tire kits for years, using a narrower belt and pulley. They have been used on bikes with engines as big as 124 ci. These poly belts that are out now are very strong. I would not be afraid of going to a narrower belt and pulley to use a wider tire. Go to their web site and check out the 180 tires on the road kings and electra glides. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

SERK03

• Bigger is better
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 07:04:36 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  I may take a look at them.  I have seen some of them snap too, but these belts are about the strongest thing you can buy nowadays.

SERK03

FLHRSEI

• I'M FREE
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 01:24:52 PM »

GOT A  150 (DUNLOP K591) ON MINE, BOUGHT THE BIKE WITH IT INSTALLED ALREADY, THE GUY SAID HE HAD IT DONE AT THE DEALER WITH SOME SHIMS TO THE LIMIT OF SPREADING THE SWING ARM, ALTHOUGH THE TIRE'S WIDEST EDGE SLIGHTLY RUBS THE ON THE DRIVE BELT THERE'S NO PROBLEM AT ALL WITH THE RIG,
THERE'S A GUY AT EBAY WHO CLAIMS TO HAVE FIGURED A WASHER SETUP WHICH WILL ALLOW A 150 TIRE ON ROAD KINGS, CHECK IT OUT, MY BIKE LOOKS GREAT.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 24 queries.