Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: db's 2014 CVO Road King  (Read 14567 times)

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
Re: db's 2014 CVO Road King
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »

Ha Ordered my Heat Demons and expect delivery tomorrow so you can expect plenty of PMs for help over the weekend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

db252

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 12:44:38 PM »

No worries. Ask anything that comes up.

BritGuy

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 09:59:50 PM »

Had HD heated handlebar grips fitted from new (2014), by supplying dealer, stopped working after 1800km. Covered by warranty, but hardly the point. Sounds like I should have fitted Heat Demons.

db252

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 12:01:51 AM »

Small but important (at least to me) change.  I was warned of this in an earlier post above and kept it in my mind but the experience is what made the change before it could have had a worse result.

I have, or should say, had floor board extensions that lots have added and some that have commented on how dangerous they can be.  I removed them but did add some different extensions that prevent what the first could and has caused; that being scraping on the wrong parts and accidents.

The extensions that were removed, made by various vendors, are made to space out the floor board supports by 1" between the frame and supports thereby extending the arms outward along with the floor boards.  I very much enjoyed the position but not what also followed.  I don't mind floor board scraping the ground in turns as they are designed to fold upward preventing a 'fixed' contact with the ground.  These previous extensions I had on did cause this since the support arms were pushed out by 1" thereby creating a contact with the ground before the floorboards.  This, as you know, is bad because a fixed object is and has created catastrophic events to riders/passengers.  As you can see below, the  level is placed midline and shows the contact with the support arms prior to the floorboards which is what I have scraped on a couple of occasions noticing that the floor board didn't move when said scraping occurred.

VERY BAD

So, I took those off and looked for something else.  I ended up finding some extensions from Kuryakyn that moved them out 1" what I liked from previous and also mounted in a better way that I'll get back to, but also moved them forward 1" which I didn't really want.  After looking at the design, I wondered if I could mount them in reverse to move them 1" back so I looked everywhere on the internet to see if anyone did and couldn't find anything.  Then I called Kuryakyn to see if they knew or heard of anyone doing that and they didn't.  Oh well, bought them and tried it and I will say that I can't be more pleased with the results.  Here is the pic of the extensions which mount between the stock support arms and the floor boards thus moving the support arms back to there stock position.

Here they are mounted in reverse of how they were intended.

Shots with the floor boards back on.

RIGHT SIDE BEFORE:

RIGHT SIDE AFTER:

LEFT SIDE BEFORE:

LEFT SIDE AFTER:

Here is a pic showing the scrapes on the bottom of the rear left side support arm which is the lowest of all 4 arms.  By design, the right side does not go as low so it was never a problem.

After changing to the new extensions, the result makes a huge difference in approach angle thereby making it a much safer setup.  The level shows how much space is there now upon contact of the lowest part of the floor board.

I was a little worried about how much the 1" back would change things for me but there is nothing I don't like.  It may be a problem or dislike for someone tall as that's what the part was intended to help with but being 5' 10" with a 32" inseam, it's perfect. 
In regards to the right side, the floor board has better clearance of the brake pedal due to coming back which I very much like.  The left side has no effect on change of shifting as I thought it might but I also have no rear shifter which might be an unwelcome difference if you do have that.  Both sides are not close to anything and have no effect on placing my feet down at stops.  I naturally center on the boards as I take off from a stop and have the ability to move my feet forward or back at will.  The boards don't rattle and are tightened in such a way that if I lift them they stay up and gentle foot pressure puts them back down just like stock was.  For me it fits absolutely perfect and it is much safer for myself and the wife.

By no means am I saying to change yours or get rid of them nor am I trying to create any debate.  I'm just offering my experience and what I changed to for my own piece of mind and consider it a win win situation.  This may be something you consider if it concerns you and want an alternative.  If I didn't cover something that you might question, please ask away.

!

fredbiker

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »

DB,
your bike is awesome. I put a little more black on mine as well. My initial focus was on the pedals (relocation kit, thanks to your posting, plus break pedal lever and long horn shift pegs to adjust the foot controls), and bike tuning (Vance & Hines "X" pipe with Monster Rounds and Race Tuner).
I am attaching a picture of my bike on the "classic" config (with windshield and sissy bar). I powder coated black the chrome parts of the windshield because I thought it matched better with the style of the bike. I actually ride without windshield and sissy bar when my wife is not with me.
I am still analyzing whether I will put auxiliary lights. This will be the next step...
I appreciate having you guys posting your pictures and ideas.
I loved Puma's bike with the Fastback seat. It got a very aggressive look.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:53:33 PM by fredbiker »

fredbiker

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 02:23:05 PM »

Picture of the other side

fredbiker

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »

I changed the mirrors to the tribal ones. These are the ones I  had in my previous bike. They have an aggressive look, match with the bike style and provide good visibility.
I also installed the Custom Dynamics Clusters.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 02:27:39 PM »

I changed the mirrors to the tribal ones. These are the ones I  had in my previous bike. They have an aggressive look, match with the bike style and provide good visibility.
I also installed the Custom Dynamics Clusters.

What make are the tribal mirrors? Are they H-D?

Using Tapatalk

fredbiker

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »

These are Harley Tribal Mirrors (92398-09)

db252

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »

DB,
your bike is awesome. I put a little more black on mine as well. My initial focus was on the pedals (relocation kit, thanks to your posting, plus break pedal lever and long horn shift pegs to adjust the foot controls), and bike tuning (Vance & Hines "X" pipe with Monster Rounds and Race Tuner).
I am attaching a picture of my bike on the "classic" config (with windshield and sissy bar). I powder coated black the chrome parts of the windshield because I thought it matched better with the style of the bike. I actually ride without windshield and sissy bar when my wife is not with me.
I am still analyzing whether I will put auxiliary lights. This will be the next step...
I appreciate having you guys posting your pictures and ideas.
I loved Puma's bike with the Fastback seat. It got a very aggressive look.

fred,

Glad the postings helped and thanks for the comments.

I really like the chrome to black windshield supports you did.  I considered doing that myself but I have a Dragonfly fairing that will be here soon which means I'll be running with that or nothing and the windshield will probably never go on again.
The tribal mirrors fit with the bike perfectly and never really thought of those so it's great to see that on the bike.  I have thought about going with the slipstream mirrors that match the rest of the bike but I think that what you did is a better call especially with the all black look of them.

I just added a tour pak recently as well which is a very nice addition when needed but also great that it can be removed in a matter of seconds.  I updated the first posting with more pics of it but here is a shot just for this post.  I have since painted the chrome strip on the bottom of the pak to black which looks better.

My wifes first preference is to ride with the bike stripped down as much as possible other than the sissy bar but does admit the tour pak is nice for the longer runs.  She isn't a fan of the windshield but is looking forward to the fairing because she likes that look and looks forward to the tunes.

fredbiker

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2015, 06:08:18 PM »

wow, you got matching colors and seat. Impressive! I look forward to seeing the pictures of the bike with the Dragon Fly Fairing. You will have 2 bikes in 1 (touring and street versions)! Very cool!

casbar

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 RK
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 03:46:12 AM »

Love the look of the clusters. Which part number did you use? Are they plug and play or do you have to do some wiring to get the white light and then yellow for indicators?

Ok having researched this a bit better, those won't fit Euro speck bikes, because we use 1156 type bulbs as we don't use indicators as running lamps.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:02:25 AM by casbar »

fredbiker

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »

Love the look of the clusters. Which part number did you use? Are they plug and play or do you have to do some wiring to get the white light and then yellow for indicators?

Ok having researched this a bit better, those won't fit Euro speck bikes, because we use 1156 type bulbs as we don't use indicators as running lamps.

These are the  Bullet Ringz BTR-AW-1157. They are “plug & play”.

casbar

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 RK
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 01:57:14 PM »

These are the  Bullet Ringz BTR-AW-1157. They are “plug & play”.

Not in the UK. Our connectors are 1156 single filament, not 1157 double filament, as we are not allowed to have our indicators on as running lights. I can fit 1156 less, but they don't make the Bullet Ringz for Europe bikes ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 21 queries.