Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: My baby is sick, too  (Read 4652 times)

Kilaani

• Scarlett - The Bike On Fire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • CVOH! My Scarlett built 3-13-12, & arrived 6-1-12
My baby is sick, too
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »

i had a double-f stupid crash last Saturday the 9th. It was "free" weekend at Lake Mead, so as I was going in the south booth guy waved me through. Coming back through the north booth, I was waving, going maybe 5-10mph and the guy starts Yakking like I needed to stop.

No explanation for the stupidity next: left hand off the grip while waving, I somehow panicked to stop, hit the throttle as I was trying to right brake, trying to get left hand on grip, hit a patch of gravel as I'm wildly accelerating, hit the curb, missed the booth, up and over the curb into the gravel median, missed the light pole, still accelerating, bounced down, hit left side, still accelerating as I'm trying to keep from nightmare, bike flips over on right side, I fly over windshield, hit my head, everything crashed and settles on right, silence. Guy from booth yells am I all right, I'm like hell no, Im hurt. Look at my dog, he is still harness in carrier, but standing next to it unafraid and unhurt like "what the f@&$ just happened." Which is how I feel. I look at my beautiful bike, now silent and wounded lying on the gravel.

Biker guys stop and help me gather my wits. I'm mad now and I go to the guy in the booth and ask him why the hell was he yelling for me to stop, it's a f$%*ing free weekend? He says its "policy" to give a pass. I ask why the hell didn't anyone else and why are all the cars and bikes going by ??? He says "so you are saying this is my fault?" And I'm like, uh, yeah, basically. If you hadn't tried to stop me, none of this would have happened, and I would have been merrily on my way. And it's a f@&$ing motorcycle, really, I need a pass? Besides, I already have the annual, fer goshsakes. I realize, my poor reaction caused it, that's all my fault, but SHEESH, it was sooooo unnecessary.

Leaving this useless POS, he yells don't move it, don't leave, park ranger needs to come since you are hurt. I am like, hell with that.

Had the bikers guys get my poor wounded Scarlett up and on the pavement. Survey damage. Not good. Front fairing fubarred, scratches all over above headlight, right and left bat wings. Front fender dented and scratched. Engine guard and lower fairings beat to chit. Left lower bent forward and right bent back. Highway pegs and guard scratched to hell. Both saddlebags and lids scratched up. Tank may be ok. Rear fender and luggage rack ok. Inner fairing may be alright. Right and left clutch and brake levers bent. All other chrome may be ok. Latches (blinged from Devas Bling) may be scratched up, rest of bling looks ok.

So, replacement painted parts will take, what, 3 months? 4? I know regular takes 2, so CVO will take a LOT longer. I have to pay my 500 deductible, but Liberty Mutual shouldn't give me a problem I have better bike replacement and this is my first accident since I was 16. Still, it's got to be 12-15k in parts, just a wild guess...ugh. Hope my insurance doesn't go up.

Physically,  I am mostly ok. Scratch on my chest from where I hit the windshield, bruised, headaches, i hit my head, threw away my helmet... i got a toradol shot for where I cricked my neck, right neck muscles to shoulder hurt, going to Chiro today..had headaches since.

I'm off work permanently due to the Cancer, hair been growing back since last chemo, going to get a cat scan in Jan to see if it is gone, but, who knows. if the ovarian had spread or if it was in my lymph noes, if it isn't gone screw it, I'll take my Ira and 403b and spend whatever time I have left traveling.

Definitely no more of that chemo chit for me. I had no idea I would feel WORSE after chemo than I did during. My mental capacity is gone feel like Forrest Gump these days. Feels good riding, except for now I'm depressed as hell about being off the bike, and from all the assorted feeling like crap in general, personal life sucking, feeling at 48 like I have a huge L on my forehead. Thankfully have long term disability. Can't work because of the extensive lymphadema - no working on my feet, and the chemo fog has killed my brain. Short and long term memory loss big-time.

Not talking to anyone in my hog chapter about it. My true story is that Scarlett was scheduled for her 15k check up today to get new tires and all, but now have to wait for parts (true). <<<SIGH>>>

If Ken or Judy or anyone with part ideas wants to call, that'd be great. I want to know, from Ken or others, which chrome I ought to consider, since it is going to be apart already. If you can call me, today is my 20% HOG appreciation day at my dealership, so today is the day I gotta decide. Maybe that neck cover Ken got, don't know what it's called....

i appreciate your help and support, you guys have been good to me (except the occasional ribbing) even being a girl and being a virtual noob since i only started riding my Sportster 10-12-11 and got my CVO at 9k riding experience. Totally sucks that I was getting so close to 16K on Scarlett so that I could get my 25k HOG patch. Guess that won't happen until spring. Can ride my husbands RG if I really feel like it, but he's already chewed me out about putting miles on HIS bike, though he's been SUPER sweet about this crash, he knows how depressed I am.

702-343-2345 jill
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:54:16 PM by Kilaani »
My first & last CVO, Scarlett, arrived 6-1-12. I always remember my mom while riding.  She had smarts with a spirit of independence & adventure. "You Gotta LIVE!", was her motto; her favorite color red, and she loved BLING.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: My baby is sick, too
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »

Hell of a ride.   Glad your up and ok and the dog is fine too.   Screw it all. Figure out the quickest way to ride on and ride on  :2vrolijk_21: .

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »

Ditto....

Kilaani

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »

Oh, limped her home, strange sound as I made left curves realize now may be was the left lower fairing since it was pushed forward, hope it was nothing else. Had my service tech come and take it as soon as I got home, I couldn't bear to look at it.

Insurance adjuster meeting with Harley service to get the claim going....Pit in my stomach. Only mildly fun, now, that I was looking forward to Scarlett's scheduled 15k for today with my mech...

But it's still 20% off day, and I'm getting my heated liner and dual controls, so that's positive. Just don't get to use it this winter :(
My first & last CVO, Scarlett, arrived 6-1-12. I always remember my mom while riding.  She had smarts with a spirit of independence & adventure. "You Gotta LIVE!", was her motto; her favorite color red, and she loved BLING.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 01:15:18 PM »

Sounds like a wild ride, amazing how fast chit happens! Glad you are mostly ok. Chrome and paint is doable. 
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »

K,
Very sorry to read this but good that it was mostly the bike and not you.  This too shall pass. You mentioned a couple of times, Forrest Gump, memory loss, etc.  That may require some serious soul searching as to whether or not you should be on the bike.  I hate to bring that up but it would be a very sorry point to miss.  Let's hope this is an opportunity to plan and execute those modifications you may have been dreaming about. Good luck!

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:25:05 PM »

Sorry to hear about your accident.  :-\.  I keep trying to visualize how and why you couldn't stop your acceleration by rolling your hand forward.  :nixweiss:  But I wasn't there either.., The good news is you and your dog were able to walk away!   :2vrolijk_21:  The best way to decide what chrome you want to add is to get the HD catalogue and go through it.  The only chrome additions I have on my MC are on the engine.  Inner primary, starter,.., etc.  Keep us posted on how you and Scarlett are doing.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »

Sorry to here about you mishap the most important thing is for you to get healthy first the bike let the Harley dealer handle that you will not even know it was in an accident when they get done with it the main thing you and the pooch are in good shape. As far as the parts they should be able to get them quickly the bike has been out for some time now. Hope it all works out for you !!!

Dante
DND

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Bright side is you were able to talk about it. All else will heal.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »

Sorry to hear of this, hindsight in these mishaps is always 20/20. Get back out there and enjoy riding ASAP and get healthy quickly.

Kilaani

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and thoughts. Looks like the adjuster agreed on all the painted parts, but the dealership put in for the scratched tank and left scratched saddlebag, too....

Total cost to repair: (gasp) $15k (looking at all those painted parts, I was pretty sure it would be 12-15k and I was right).

Ouch! I hope they go along and that it doesn't take too horribly long, they don't argue, and Scarlett is fixed to better than new. I doubly hope my rate doesn't increase! This is my first claim, ever, since I was 16.

Sorry to here about you mishap the most important thing is for you to get healthy first the bike let the Harley dealer handle that you will not even know it was in an accident when they get done with it the main thing you and the pooch are in good shape. As far as the parts they should be able to get them quickly the bike has been out for some time now. Hope it all works out for you !!!

Dante

Kilaani

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »

Sorry to hear about your accident.  :-\.  I keep trying to visualize how and why you couldn't stop your acceleration by rolling your hand forward.  :nixweiss:  But I wasn't there either.., The good news is you and your dog were able to walk away!   :2vrolijk_21:  The best way to decide what chrome you want to add is to get the HD catalogue and go through it.  The only chrome additions I have on my MC are on the engine.  Inner primary, starter,.., etc.  Keep us posted on how you and Scarlett are doing.

No idea. It happened so quickly, I think I kind of froze.....

I did buy saddlebag guards kind of like yours but the new '14 design. I also bought bigger headlight and aux light chrome covers.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »

Like the old pilots say; " any landing that you can walk away from..."

With all else that you have going on, you might beg, borrow, steal, etc... another bike to ride (winter being some of your best riding) as soon as you are physically / mentally able. Sometimes that SE paint can take a while...

Best Wishes!!!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:51:06 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 11:24:20 AM »

No idea. It happened so quickly, I think I kind of froze.....

I did buy saddlebag guards kind of like yours but the new '14 design. I also bought bigger headlight and aux light chrome covers.
Most likely what happened.  When fear triggers adrenaline the connection between mind and body seems to short circuit.  Chit happens so fast you literally don't know what happened.  Glad you are not hurting too badly.  The bike can be repaired.  Hopefully won't take too long. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »

And I thought that I was having a bad day today.  :(  I guess I'll just suck it up and go back to what I was doing.
Good luck with Scarlet. When it's all done, she'll be better than new and it will be time to share a new adventure with her!
RETIRED! :fireman:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.