Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: The Harley Death Wobble  (Read 51536 times)

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
Re: The Harley Death Wobble
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »

Left foot on the Hi-way Peg, NO WOBBLE.  Left foot on the Floorboard, WOBBLES LIKE A BITCH.   That's an irrefutable fact.  There endeth the lesson.  8) Later--HUBBARD   

Hubbard,
I don't understand why my bike wobbles, but next time it does (I'm pretty sure it hasn't fixed itself) I'll try to remember to stick my foot up on the highway peg to see if that helps. It seems reasonable to me that there could be an aerodynamic angle (triangle?) to all this. I do know that slowing down in a corner when it's wobbling only seems to make things progress more toward the tank slapper direction -it only took one try to learn that one!
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »

Hubbard,
I don't understand why my bike wobbles, but next time it does (I'm pretty sure it hasn't fixed itself) I'll try to remember to stick my foot up on the highway peg to see if that helps. It seems reasonable to me that there could be an aerodynamic angle (triangle?) to all this. I do know that slowing down in a corner when it's wobbling only seems to make things progress more toward the tank slapper direction -it only took one try to learn that one!

Makes ya' quit lookin' at the scenery, don't it?  :o I've always replaced the air shocks with Progressive 440HD's on the 3 Ultra's I've owned, also.  The air shocks were just too rigid for me.  Some will say the Progressives I use are out dated, but they work for me.  8) Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2011, 07:51:37 AM »

What a dork in the start of the video

http://www.kpho.com/local-video/index.html?grabnetworks_video_id=4697488

When he says

I like it just because its a Harley Davidson

Worrying issues for some Harley owners though

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »

Sure is a lotta' fuss about "The High-Speed Wobble."  "  Come follow me and see, if you can keep up.  8) Later--HUBBARD        

Wont even try to follow. I know who Maudie`s doctor is.
Left boot in the wind. I gotta try it .

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2011, 04:43:49 PM »

Lots of wobble stories on here. Pretty much enough of them to declare a common problem that needs attention. I have the high speed wobble in turns on my '05 SEEg and the "tank slap" on my '11 SERG. I had the tech at the local HD shop take the SERG out for a spin and he came back looking like he had seen a ghost. He said "you said it was a vibration, not a death slap". lol

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2011, 04:47:19 PM »

Lots of wobble stories on here. Pretty much enough of them to declare a common problem that needs attention. I have the high speed wobble in turns on my '05 SEEg and the "tank slap" on my '11 SERG. I had the tech at the local HD shop take the SERG out for a spin and he came back looking like he had seen a ghost. He said "you said it was a vibration, not a death slap". lol

Opee

Well, that's one way to get their attention, huh?  :huepfenlol2:

At least you know now they're not going to tell you "it's normal".
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2011, 03:06:19 AM »

very disturbing: as of Thursday evening a late 09 FLHTCUSE4 with some 15.000 m got the high speed wobble just out of nowhere. Bike ran 120 mph last year frequently without any problems. Got new tires last week and at the test ride suddenly developed a violent wobble just above 100 mph (solo). 2 of our mechs retried and got scared like hell. Fall away is ok, stearing head is at specs and freshly greased, wheels are perfectly balanced, tires double checked, pressure in tires and shocks at spec, engine mounts ok - cause of the issue still unknown after 2 days in the shop.

It's the first bike with the new frame to show the high speed wobble over here, both dealership and H-D's importers techs are just clueless. They started totally disassembling her Saturday ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »

Always hear bout how great the new frame is.  I hope they can figure this out.  Is it time for a True Track?  I'm use one, though I'm on a bike with the old style frame. :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2011, 09:47:50 AM »

If I read that correctly, the bike was fine until immediately after the dealership replaced both tires, whereupon the severe wobble reared it's head on the initial test ride.  Common sense tells us that something happened during that wheel and tire service;  hopefully they will find something simple, like an improperly assembled wheel spacer or damaged bearing, misaligned rear wheel, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »

If I read that correctly, the bike was fine until immediately after the dealership replaced both tires, whereupon the severe wobble reared it's head on the initial test ride.  Common sense tells us that something happened during that wheel and tire service;  hopefully they will find something simple, like an improperly assembled wheel spacer or damaged bearing, misaligned rear wheel, etc.

Jerry

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »

I have a 2010 SESG with a King Tour Pak added.  On this recent trip I was able to produce and reproduce a substantial wobble at any speed.

Hands off the bars (I know...I know.. bad)... if I step on the rear brake, the front will start to wobble.  Seems as if with rear brake, the front end unloads and sets up a wobble.

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2011, 01:36:03 AM »

... Common sense tells us that something happened during that wheel and tire service ...

not neccessarily as our friend did a lot of detailing and maintenance himself during winter and disassembled the bike quite a bit. We have riding season since end of march and as it's not his only bike I doubt it did any high speeds solo this year before the tire job. I remember when we rode back from Wroclav together we didn't do over 100 mph because we had a evo with us.

So whatever the reason may be it could well date back to last November.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »

Wont even try to follow. I know who Maudie`s doctor is.
Left boot in the wind. I gotta try it .

Tilley's a hoot, ain't he David?  Now there's a man that can tell you some stories about some "High-Speed Wobble." I don't know of a man that has crashed as many times as he has, and lived to tell about it.  High speed crashes, too.  He'll dam sure put a Motorsickle to the test.  No fear.  Later--HUBBARD      
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »

Tilley's a hoot, ain't he David?  Now there's a man that can tell you some stories about some "High-Speed Wobble." I don't know of a man that has crashed as many times as he has, and lived to tell about it.  High speed crashes, too.  He'll dam sure put a Motorsickle to the test.  No fear.  Later--HUBBARD      

Motorcycle icon in my book. He and old Harry G. got tangled up on the interstate couple of weeks ago.  All ok. Tilley just called it an incident. Like the time he wrapped around a sighn post in canada. lol.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »

our friends bike has been cured: it was the rear engine mount, the litterally last item checked. Exchanged and the wobble is gone. None of the parts showed any wear or damage so it was probably just added tolerance ::)

Might have even been there out of factory as it showed on a Autobahn run solo and he normally uses his Springer for solo runs only. Anyway it's gone  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.