Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zero Oil Pressure  (Read 3311 times)

Ramblin Man

• Ride it like you stole it!
Zero Oil Pressure
« on: March 15, 2006, 10:41:06 PM »

I rode to Daytona for Bike Week on my new Black and Slate SE UC last week.  Before leaving town, I had the 1,000 mile service done, even though I only had 647 miles on the bike, because I knew I'd be going over a thousand on the trip.  The bike ran fine going down to Daytona, and ran fine all week, until Friday evening.  I was cruising down Beach Street towards the old Harley dealership when the oil light came on and I noticed the oil pressure gauge was below zero and not registering.  The engine started making a chattering sound.  I quickly pulled off the road and called my local dealer.  He said to have the bike towed into the dealership there in Daytona.  The H-D service writer asked what non-stock stuff I had done to the bike.  He could see I had the Freedom Cycle true duals.  When I told him the bike had a Power Commander, he immediately said my factory warranty wouldn't cover fixing the bike, and I would have to pay for it.  It was 6:00 p.m. Friday, so I asked him to just take a look at it in the morning and let me know.  To make a long story short, the Daytona H-D shop advised I take it back home to my dealer.  They didn't want to deal with it.  The bike had 1,044 miles on it when I hauled it in.  My dealer's ace mechanic is on vacation this week, so it'll be another week before they even look at it.  Anyone else have a problem with losing oil pressure?  --  JR  :(
2006 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
2005 Softail Deluxe (sold 10/15/05)
2003 Dyna Wide Glide (still ridin' it)
1998 Sportster (sold)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Zero Oil Pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 11:00:46 PM »

If you haven't already you may want to read this thread: Cuse in The hospital circumstances sound similar.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:48:30 PM »

Some day some pissed off rider with a busted bike is going to take a swing at a service writer so overburdened of hubris and underinformed as are the jackasses like the guy that blew you off here.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 12:36:46 AM »

Another dumba** service writer. The PC does not have anything to do with the oil pressure. Check out Cigarmike's thread as Dood posted. His turned out to be a split oring on the oil pump return from the cases. The motor sumped and lost power.
Stupid question but how's the oil level?

seultrarider

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 10:53:29 AM »

I am so tired of service writers/dealers that say no warranty coverage because of pipes/PC! >:( I have a copy of the Federal law that clearly states no warranty coverage IF the failed part was directly affected by the aftermarket part. Oil pressure had NO connection to exhaust system/PC. I have owned 9 Harleys since 1977, 6 purchased new. Not until recently has MoCo and Dealers tried to pull this crap!!!! Every Harley owner needs to stand up and challange these uneducated morons with written proof [smiley=argue.gif]!!!!!

cigarmike

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 10:59:51 AM »

Wow, Thats like reading my own post. That really sucks, Dont worry, it is covered by warranty, sounds like that Florida service writer is cousins to the ones at Drons in calif. Your problems sound like mine almost, except I had little and sometimes no oil pressure since day one, but the end result was an O-ring tear, or at least, thats what the service challenged dealership that did my work said.

My scooter is back in another shop to be re-checked and fix the 4 new oil leaks that I now have as a result of poor service, maybe your better off taking it back to your place of purchase, obviously has to be better than at Daytona Donkey HD. GL man, I feel your Pain. PM me if this doesnt get resolved. Or for your own piece of mind, call the warranty dept. 414-343-4056 They asured me all would be well in the end.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 11:02:22 AM by cigarmike »

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 11:00:44 AM »

Unfortunately, the uneducated consumer won't do that.  They'll only lay down and pay.  Further, the MM act (Moss-Mag. act); while it doesn't allow the dealer/factory to void warranties just because parts are installed; the liberal do-good judicial system in this country has changed the protective aspect of the law to really now require to OWNER to prove the parts DIDN'T cause the failure, instead of the FACTORY having to prove THE PARTS DID CAUSE THE PROBLEM!  Virtually every judge in this country needs to have their a$$es flat out kicked until we decide they've had enough.    rant off.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 12:09:12 PM »

Unfortunately, the uneducated consumer won't do that.
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 08:49:11 PM »

If you want more info on the M-M act, here's the basics, and as Arctic says the flow seems to be going with consumers proving it did no harm. SEMA organization does some support in this area since they are the National folks for aftermarket items in general. Fine print on warranty rules unfortunately
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in part: No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

DREBBIN

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA # 22419
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 07:11:21 AM »

AGREED - It's called Magnusson-Moss Act right?  I just read up on it too.  NO WAY can a dealer candel or void your warranty WITHOUT SPECIFICALLY PROVING THAT YOUR MODIFICATION CAUSED THE PROBLEM.  THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS ON THEM.  BLANKET WARRANTY 'DENIALs" ARE i l le g a l.  Time to write the local BBB, State Secretary of Consumer Affairs and local Consumer affairs.  DREBBIN

I am so tired of service writers/dealers that say no warranty coverage because of pipes/PC! >:( I have a copy of the Federal law that clearly states no warranty coverage IF the failed part was directly affected by the aftermarket part. Oil pressure had NO connection to exhaust system/PC. I have owned 9 Harleys since 1977, 6 purchased new. Not until recently has MoCo and Dealers tried to pull this crap!!!! Every Harley owner needs to stand up and challange these uneducated morons with written proof [smiley=argue.gif]!!!!!
IBA # 22419
SS1K
SS1K

Ramblin Man

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 05:35:33 PM »

Well, I just got my bike out of the H-D shop in Tifton, Ga. today.  What a great bunch of guys (totally unlike Daytona H-D).  It seems the problem was caused by the Kuryakyn tech who put the Kuryakyn oil line cover and transmission shroud (part # 8209) on my bike there in Daytona.  If you look at the part, it's got 2 outward indentions to accomodate the oil lines.  However, the lower one is shorter than the other, and that happens to be the oil input line to the oil pump.  It's not long enough, and when the tech tightened down, it crimped my oil line, preventing oil getting to the pump.  At the time when my oil light came on and the oil pressure dropped, my wife said, "Well, all we've done is add that Kuryakyn piece.  That's got to be causing it."   I said, "No, honey, that's just a cosmetic cover and shouldn't have anything to do with a drop in oil pressure."  WRONG!  Boy, am I hearing about that now!  Anyway, the good folks at Little River H-D in Tifton, Ga, figured it out.  They put a spacer on the bottom, preventing the cover plate from pinching the oil line.  No more problems.  The engine is fine and purring like a kitten.  I feel like an idiot, and my wife reminds me constantly that I should listen to her from now on.  Yeah, honey...  --  JR  
2006 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
2005 Softail Deluxe (sold 10/15/05)
2003 Dyna Wide Glide (still ridin' it)
1998 Sportster (sold)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 05:43:56 PM »

Ramblin Man,
Glad to hear you got your problem resolved. If I were you I'd be contacting Kuryakyn and letting them know about this "snafu", and the outcome of it before it happens to somebody else. :( On top of that I would want some kind of compensation for my time, and trouble. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

BTW - Something I've learned in my years of marriage... If you want to get the last word in, always, always the reply is.....

Yes, Dear ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cigarmike

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 12:57:30 PM »

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.