Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorman's Road Test - 2006 FLHTCUSE  (Read 6650 times)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
Motorman's Road Test - 2006 FLHTCUSE
« on: May 01, 2006, 11:53:33 PM »

This is a copy of the column "Motorman's Road Test" from Georgia Full Throttle magazine:

2006 FLHTCUSE - Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic E-Glide

I'm sitting at a red light when a guy in a pickup in the next lane yells, "hey, what model Harley is that?"  I yell, "this is a 2006 FLHTCUSE Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide".  By the time I get all that out, the light has turned green and the cars behind are starting to lay on the horn.  The guy says, "what, I didn't hear ya".  I didn't repeat myself, number one, because I was sure the mini van behind me was getting ready to ram me through the intersection and number two, I figured he was just breaking balls anyway.  For obvious reasons, I'll simply refer to this motorcycle as the CVO Ultra for the rest of this article.

Let me start by telling you what you get for 32,000.00 that differentiates the CVO from the standard 21,000.00 Ultra Classic.  We'll start with the motor.  The CVO Ultra has the Screaming Eagle twin cam 103 cubic inch version with ESPFI of course, standard.  This motor puts out about 83 hp to the rear wheel and close to 100 ft. lbs. of torque in stock condition.  You can expect another 3 to 5 hp with Harley Davidson's open element air filter, but since the CVO comes standard with the Screaming Eagle touring mufflers, changing the pipes will probably only get you more noise for your money rather than a large power increase.  You also get a custom oil cooler with chrome cover, custom oil filter mount with internal thermostat, chrome oil line cover, chrome voltage regulator, chrome billet timer and derby covers, and ribbed air cleaner cover with Screaming Eagle insert.

In other words, probably everything you've ever thought of chroming on your motor, has been done for you by the motor company.  You'll also get a color matched inner fairing and switch panel, custom leather dash pad with chrome accent, color matched saddlebag filler strips, custom leather tourpak with LED interior light, plush liner, carry out bags, luggage rack and lumbar support passenger backrest and a standard driver backrest.

The sound system is also the best Harley offers with XM Satellite radio, CB/Intercom, amplifier and premium front and rear speakers, standard.  The list goes on and on and I haven't even mentioned your choice of 3 beautiful custom paint schemes.  The point is, though 32 big ones is a ton of money for a motorcycle, you get a ton of custom equipment for your money.  If you added all the performance and chrome on your own, it would cost you a lot more.

So, there's no question this is a fully equipped and beautifully styled top of the line Harley, but, how does it ride you're thinking about now?  Well, pretty much like any other Ultra with another 20 hp available at your right wrist, believe me, the extra horsepower is needed on this almost 900 lb. motorcycle.  Especially when two up, and filled with luggage.  As far as drive ability, the CVO is just as docile and well mannered as a standard twin cam.  The bigger motor doesn't cause anymore heat or vibration either and gas mileage in the 40mpg range is still attainable.  Simply put, it's all good.

Low speed handling on the CVO Ultra is still top of the touring class, due to the short 63.5 inch wheelbase and 26 degree rake.  When fully loaded with the rear shocks pumped up, ground clearance is good as well.  In other words, you can lean this bike over further than say, a Yamaha Venture, but not near as far as a Gold Wing or LT1200 BMW.  To be fair, the CVO Ultra is really a luxury sport tourer like the Beemer or Gold Wing1800.  This becomes readily apparent when pushing the CVO at higher speeds on a winding road.  In that situation, the Ultra shows its rather low tech suspension, especially if you happen to hit a bump or two in the middle of a turn at speed.  In other words, high speed handling is not the CVO's forte.  Let's face it, this motorcycle is meant for the serious tourer who's not in a hurry.  You can cruise all day  long at 80mph on the interstate with the fabulous stereo cranking out your favorite tunes, the seat and backrest offer all day comfort for both the driver and passenger, the motor is smooth and offers adequate passing power and this bike also draws plenty of stares at the local bike night.

What more could you ask for?  For a closer look, check out your local Harley-Davidson dealer, but you better hurry, the FLHTCUSE Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide is made in limited numbers.

Best Wishes,
Jerry Palladino
www.ridelikeapro.com
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Motorman's Road Test - 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 10:37:30 AM »

Nice review,
Thank you Vgirl for posting it! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Wakko

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Motorman's Road Test - 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:44:42 PM »

If nobody minds a plug, I can recommend Jerry "The Motorman" Palladino's videos on low speed handling. Very thorough and well worth the money.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 22 queries.