Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 cvo 110 engine noise  (Read 9357 times)

King2013

2013 cvo 110 engine noise
« on: August 18, 2013, 12:08:42 AM »

when i first start it up it has a loud chatter or rattling noise. i mean its really loud. wondering if this is common.
it stops shortly after its running.
I'm thinking maybe its just until the oil gets flowing up into the heads?

im only asking because my street glide never did this.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2013 cvo 110 engine noise
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:58:04 AM »

Sounds like another set of lifters unloading....

King2013

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 06:40:15 AM »

Sounds like another set of lifters unloading....

please explain. it has done this since new at 4 miles and now has a total of 21 miles on it.
should i be concerned and get it to the shop?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »

please explain. it has done this since new at 4 miles and now has a total of 21 miles on it.
should i be concerned and get it to the shop?

Best guess is you are describing an issue with a hydraulic lifter.  That part rides on top of the cam shafts and the push rods set on top of them (the lifters, you have four).  The push rods then go up and engage the rocker arms when then push on the valve stems causing the valves to open and close to either allow in fuel or allow exhaust to escape the engine.

When the lifters are hydraulically pumped solid by oil pressure there is no slack or free play in this system.  When  you shut the engine off oil pressure of course oil pressure goes away.  There is a pressure check valve in each lifter that is supposed to keep it from bleeding pressure.  This is so there is not free play in the valve train when the engine first starts before full oil pressure is restored. 

If there is a problem with a lifter this internal pressure maintenance may not happen.  If so the valve train will be noisy on start up.  This should only happen briefly though.  Even a few "clacks" indicates a problem lifter though.  Just because it's got almost no miles is really irrelevant to the problem. 

The following illustration was lifted from the Hammer Performance website in their effort to explain a different issue (pushrod length questions).  But the illustration does do a good job of showing the valve train from the cam to the lifter to the pushrod to the rocker arm to the valve.  It'll help understand how that when these pieces are fully in contact all the time they don't rattle off one another.  But if some slack is allowed you'll hear the pieces hammering against each other.

King2013

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 07:06:11 PM »

my apologies,
I should have asked if i should take it in for warranty service or are they going to say that's normal?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »

my apologies,
I should have asked if i should take it in for warranty service or are they going to say that's normal?

Couldn't hurt to have them write it up and check it. If they say it's normal get them to show you another one that does it.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 08:46:27 PM »

my apologies,

They may say it's normal, but that doesn't mean it actually normal, if you get my drift.  Lifters bleeding down prematurely is a common issue (problem) with the 110 motors, which a few dealerships acknowledge, but most are either uninformed, unaware or just plain shady...   :nixweiss:

It would be worth getting it documented for sure.  If lifter noise increases, it might be wise to be proactive and inspect/replace them.  If you're not familiar with why, do a site search and I think you'll find plenty of reading material explaining why.   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

King2013

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »

i have a feeling they're going to say its normal (i know its not).

thanks for reassuring me the best thing to do is get it documented.
from what i read about the moco on this site, it doesn't sound like it makes much of a difference. documented or not, if the moco don't want to fix it they won't anyway.

with any hope the dealer will see it as an issue and make the needed repairs with no trouble. (yeah right!)

wish me luck...lol

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 08:50:44 AM »

i have a feeling they're going to say its normal (i know its not).

thanks for reassuring me the best thing to do is get it documented.
from what i read about the moco on this site, it doesn't sound like it makes much of a difference. documented or not, if the moco don't want to fix it they won't anyway.

with any hope the dealer will see it as an issue and make the needed repairs with no trouble. (yeah right!)

wish me luck...lol

Lifters that bleed down overnight and are slow to pump back up are in fact defective, no matter what the folks in Milwaukee or a dealership may tell you.  If the dealer tells you it's "normal" or "they all do that", insist that they roll out a few new bikes and prove it to you.  Btw, there is a huge difference between "normal" and acceptable, especially when dealing with Harley.  There have been many characteristics of the bikes that Harley labeled "normal" over the years just to avoid spending money to fix them, but they weren't acceptable to consumers nor were they representative of what other manufacturers had.

When folks tell you to get it documented, they mean have it written up on a dealership repair order with all the info filled out (VIN, date, mileage, customer name, problem description, etc.), and insist on being given a copy after they enter their diagnosis.  Don't accept a strictly verbal "blow-off" from the service writer, which is what many try to do.  The reason for doing this is to protect your legal interests, in case you have repetitive issues or a major related failure when the warranty expires and you decide to pursue legal remedies. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »

Did you get the dealer to repair you bike ?

I think I have the same issue here...  It only happens while the engine is cold after having rested for the night.  It's worst if I don't start it for a couple of days...

Going for the first oil change tomorrow...  I hope they'll do something to make this annoying noise stop !

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 11:14:13 PM »

Couldn't hurt to have them write it up and check it. If they say it's normal get them to show you another one that does it.

X2  Have them show you that "they all do that".  Don't let them BS you after spending that much $$$ on a new bike.  :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

King2013

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 11:32:28 PM »

Did you get the dealer to repair you bike ?

I think I have the same issue here...  It only happens while the engine is cold after having rested for the night.  It's worst if I don't start it for a couple of days...

Going for the first oil change tomorrow...  I hope they'll do something to make this annoying noise stop !

same exact issue. the dealer did tell me that it was normal.
i have 200 miles on it now and the noise has actually quieted down. not sure why.

how did your oil change go. did the dealer figure out/tell you what it is?

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »

Local dealer told 2 clients, last year, the "normal" words.
Once they were here, both had lifters fubared, cams were harmed, 1 requiring the engine to be fully dissasembled.
Used S&S valvetrain components as usual, and all is well now.
Scott

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 25 queries.