Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley recalls 13,400 Dyna motorcycles  (Read 1304 times)

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
Harley recalls 13,400 Dyna motorcycles
« on: November 23, 2005, 06:08:37 PM »

Harley recalls 13,400 Dyna motorcycles
Defect may allow bikes to go into false neutral position
 Harley-Davidson said it will provide owners with free pickup and delivery and will make recall kits, which include three redesigned transmission components, available at dealerships starting the week of Dec. 12.

Updated: 4:21 p.m. ET Nov. 23, 2005
MILWAUKEE - Harley-Davidson Inc. issued a voluntary safety recall on 2006 model Dyna series motorcycles built between June 9 and Oct. 19 due to a transmission defect.

The company said late Tuesday the recall affects some 13,400 motorcycles and is expected to cost less than $5 million, which it will make reservations for in the fourth quarter.

Harley-Davidson also said it expects to meet its previously announced wholesale shipment target of 329,000 motorcycles for 2005.

The Milwaukee-based company said it will provide owners with free pickup and delivery and will make recall kits, which include three redesigned transmission components, available at dealerships starting the week of Dec. 12.

The defect may allow the motorcycles to go into a false neutral position even though the neutral indicator light is illuminated, it said.

“If that happens, the transmission could engage into first or second gear unexpectedly,” Harley-Davidson spokesman Bob Klein said Wednesday.

Two accidents related to the problem were reported, but none resulted in injury, Klein said.

The defect resulted from a design flaw in the six-speed transmission, which replaced the five-speed on the Dyna to make for a smoother ride at highway speeds and increase fuel efficiency, Klein said.

The redesign also resulted in a change to the front forks, chassis and a wider rear tire.

Shipments of the 2006 Dyna had been delayed but resumed after a change to production, he said.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Harley recalls 13,400 Dyna motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 10:17:21 PM »

Approximately $375.00 per bike.  Wonder what they're actually changing?

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 08:02:13 PM »

Do you think this will delay the introduction of the 6 speed in any of the '07 models??
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 08:53:38 PM »

Do you think this will delay the introduction of the 6 speed in any of the '07 models??

Unless there is more going on than the recall notice implies can't really see how.  The problem is already fixed for ongoing 06 production so even later production better be beyond the error.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 08:58:08 PM »

I wonder if during the recall the Mo Co will address this 15k bearing issue listed below:

This was posted on the Delphi Board very interesting  

NOTICE OF AMENDMENT TO OWNER’S MANUAL

2006 MODEL DYNATM MOTORCYCLES

Dear Customer:

In order to monitor the quality of our products, it has become customary in recent years for Harley-Davidson to implement an Initial Care Program on any significant new product changes.

These programs are generally managed through the Company’s authorized dealers during the motorcycle’s introduction period.

In keeping with this practice, Harley-Davidson implemented an Initial Care Program for the all new 2006 model year Dyna motorcycles at the time of introduction. This program allows Harley-Davidson to better monitor initial repair trends on this new motorcycle family and provide rapid resolution to customer concerns. The Initial Care Program for the 2006 Dyna motorcycles differs from the service interval information published in your owner’s manual:

. A lubricant change for the primary chain and transmission is now specified at 1,000 miles, and at every 5,000 miles thereafter, and

. An inner primary bearing replacement is required at 15,000-mile intervals.

Harley-Davidson has preliminarily determined the inner primary bearing on your 2006 Dyna motorcycle will require replacement at 15,000 mile intervals. The bearing will be replaced by your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer at 15,000 miles and at subsequent 15,000-mile intervals, at no cost to you. This service requirement may change over time as we make improvements and monitor repair trends on 2006 Dyna motorcycles. Your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer will be your best source of any updates to this requirement.

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood these provisions regarding your new

Dyna motorcycle by signing below. We request that you keep your copy of this notification with

your Owner’s Manual so that you have it for future reference.

Steve Phillips

Vice President – Quality and Customer Service

Acknowledgements:

Customer Name (please print) Customer Signature

V.I.N. _______________________________ Date:

Dealership Name and Dealership Number Dealer Representative Signature

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, 3700 West Juneau Ave., PO Box 653, Milwaukee, WI 53201
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 08:59:28 PM by jeffj »

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 10:45:44 PM »

I thought I would take advantage of the Black Friday deals at my dealership and the deals were more light grey than black.   :-/

However, I also learned of the issues with the 6 speed.  I was also told that this had a direct effect on the Dyna/CVO delay.  Apparently, no bikes (or very few) were leaving until the issue was resolved.

At first, I felt jipped that the Dyna's got the 6-speed and not the Touring's.  But I figured it would probably be best not to get the new tech first year, and I would survive with a 5-speed, just as we all have, all these years.

However, I will not live without a microwave!   ;)
84 GoldWing GL1200i (mint... pretty much)
06 FLHTCUSE Black/Haze (on order)  ETA: Q2-2006

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.