Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How would you run your dealership?  (Read 1051 times)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
How would you run your dealership?
« on: December 28, 2005, 11:21:15 AM »

I am curious if other folks have had frustrating experiences with dealerships. Not necessarily due to a specific problem/disagreement you may have had but more systemic problems occuring from mismanagment and faulty processes. My personal experience is that often parts and service dont communicate very well and that ego tends to thwart collaboration.  Specifically, it seems that there should be someone from the dealership that "owns" each customer and their project. So if i come in and want to achieve a certain look or performance from my scooter, someone takes ownership and works with me and most importantly collaborates with service/mechanic to determine all the issues.  My experience is limited to a period since 1991 and with primarily 3 dealerships, but they all seem to suffer from the following:

In summary

1. Parts and Service dont always talk which leads to problems
2. Ego (no need to collaborate with anyone else, I know everything attitude)
3. Poor follow-through
4. Poor management usually results in wasted mechanic labor time which of course results in higher cost to the customer

I am curious -  WHAT CHANGES WOULD YOU MAKE TO YOUR DEALERSHIP TO MAKE IT MORE EFFECTIVE?

Dont know if this is of any interest to folks but thought i would throw it out there

best,

FreeFXRS

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: How would you run your dealership?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 11:44:20 AM »

Of course it's of interest to everybody on this site.  If it's not yet, it will be..........as soon as they take delivery of their bike.

I'm curious as to which three dealerships you are referring to?

I find that at Harley Davidson of Sacramento the service dept. and the parts counter communicate very well.  However, I've been to those dealerships that you are talking about and I try to avoid them at all costs.  

I can tell you another thing about Sac. HD that is "different" from a lot of other dealerships is that when they screw something up they don't stand there and argue with you, they make it right and right now!  Once again, I've experienced that first hand, recently and once again, they've restored my faith in them. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 01:50:12 PM »

Pay the good mechanics to stay. Turnover at my local shop is scary.

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 08:40:56 PM »

yeah - at my dealership (Dudley Perkins in San Francisco), they had mechanics that were around for many many years but about 4 years ago, they all seemed to disappear and their was a lot of turnover.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.