Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Samson Exhaust  (Read 2837 times)

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
Samson Exhaust
« on: January 01, 2006, 11:13:57 AM »

I Know we mainly discuss CVO bikes here but I get so much accurate info here and I have a question reguarding an exhaust system for my wife's bike. Samson has a new true dual exhust system for the softail with fishtails either in muffler or longtail style that will give the bike that true retro look and will give me the clearance to put soft Road king bags on. The question is does anyone have experience with Samson? The pipes seem to look good and are very affordable @ 599 retail, but I have seen posts in other forums where complaints have come up about the pipe shields turning yellow or blue. Now it seems to me this would be due to a mapping problem. I am going to keep this bike mostly stock with a race tuner if the mapping seems lean. I'm also curious if anyone knows what kind of sound/decible leval I should expect. Any experience would be appreciated. Heres a pic of the pipes on a bike much like the one I'm talking about.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
Re: Samson Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 01:25:14 PM »

I had Sampson Wide Oval Slip Ons on a 2000 RoadKing Classic and after 2,500 miles I did notice some blueing at the neck of slip on. At 4,000 miles I also installed Sampson True Dual Exhaust using my Sampson Slip Ons. After going with the True Duals I did have to go with a SERT and bike ran good, the True Dual Header Pipe I didn't care for as the Heat Shield didn't cover all of the pipe. Then at 5,000 miles I went with a 211 Cam as my Cam Bearing had the issue and MoCo helped in replacing. So with 211 Cams, Sampson True Duels with Wide Oval Slip Ons the bike ran pretty darn good. The only thing I didn't like was the Blueing at neck of slip on mufflers. As far as Noise - Yeah they barked a little I would say about as loud as a Rinehardt.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 01:27:17 PM by jeffj »

mav7266

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 03:01:31 AM »

I had Samson Rolled Thunder slip-ons on my 99 RKC, and 32K miles. Just sold her, to buy my CVO. Always had trouble with the right side pipe bluing at the neck. Was constantly polishing or using Blue away. Pipes sounded great, not to loud for me but maybe for some. You could really hear them when you got on the trottle.
I would buy another set for my Ultra if not for the bluing problem, just have too clean often. Hope this helps!
Ride Safe! Ride hard! Enjoy Life!!

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 08:42:33 AM »

Thanks Jeff and Mav, any comments suggestions would would be greatly appreciated.

I need lower pipes than what she currently has to put the soft Road King Classic bags on and I want that nostalgic look. The wife is not crazy about my Rinehart staggards, but those pipe are right under you not out the back like true duels.

I've been riding her bike in the cold weather trying to get it broke in before she wants to do some serious riding and its a little scary riding in and out of traffic with the stock pipes.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 05:32:41 PM »

REO,
I have Samson's true duals with fish on my '97 heritage springer that's bored and stroked and makes it's fair share of hot pipes. I have a set of the drag fishtails with a Khrome Werks baffle and I also have a set of 3 1/2" X 29" fishtail mufflers. I run the drags most of the time, but if I plan a long ride involving many states I put the muffs on just to avoid the blue lights as much as possible.

I think they look, sound and fit great. But I will say that on my springer the rear pipe does it's turn about pretty close to wife's right leg and on a long hot day she tends to let me know that the pipe is hot. So I let her know she should keep her leg away from the pipe.

I also have read that some riders don't like the weld that is right on top of the fish fin. But on both of mine the weld has held up fine and there is no burrs, but clearly you can see that it has been welded. Far as the sheilds color change, I don't see any such change, but I guess there is a certain amount of personal likes and so on.

good luck

chappy

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 05:35:51 PM by chappy »
Ps 118:8

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 06:07:44 PM »

I had Samson Rolled Thunder slip-ons on my 99 RKC, and 32K miles. Just sold her, to buy my CVO. Always had trouble with the right side pipe bluing at the neck. Was constantly polishing or using Blue away. Pipes sounded great, not to loud for me but maybe for some. You could really hear them when you got on the trottle.
I would buy another set for my Ultra if not for the bluing problem, just have too clean often. Hope this helps!

Met a dude one 2002 RC and had these slip-ons on his bike and they sure sounded sweet. I'm sure I wouldn't want them if they were going to be work to keep bluing off. Got enough work keeping all that chrome a sparkling. ;D

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 25 queries.