Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ARTICLE - Is It Really Necessary to Change the Oil Every 3,000 Miles?  (Read 1950 times)

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate

Part I of II

Is It Really Necessary to Change the Oil Every 3,000 Miles? - by Tom Torbjornsen

The 3,000-mile oil change has gone the way of the dinosaur. What do I base this statement on given my staunch support of the 3,000-mile oil change for so many years? Today oils and lubricants are so much better compared to several years ago. Under normal driving conditions, viscosity breakdown (viscosity is the oil’s ability to flow and lubricate) usually occurred at about 3,000 miles. The elements that cause deterioration of oil are heat, friction, chemical contamination, and oxidation. In recent years the petroleum companies, working hand-in-hand with carmakers, have developed stronger additive packages that address these factors. Today, oil is tougher and holds up much better under the rigors of the internal combustion engine environment.

Additionally, leaders in synthetic oil development like AMSOIL and Mobil One have come up with “super oils” in their full and semi-synthetic oil products.

Game Changer
About ten years ago GM introduced their OLM (Oil Life Monitor). This was a game changer for the industry. Essentially, GM told their customers to simply follow the dictates of the oil life monitor light on the dashboard to decide when to change the oil. Auto service departments across the nation raised a brouhaha that resonated in Automotive Heaven! Follow the dictates of a light? “Absurd” they cried! How can the vehicle itself know when to change the oil? Based on what? Ludicrous!
A few years later, Ford issued revised oil change drain interval recommendations: Every 7,500 miles for normal service, and 5,000 miles for severe service.

Again, traditionalists cried “Outrageous!” “Ridiculous!”
Cry as they may, I think that the “proof is in the pudding.” How credible are the extended drain interval recommendations? How about this for credibility: The carmakers stand behind their warranty if a vehicle comes into the dealership with a failed engine and the owner/operator shows proof of regular oil change intervals according to factory-recommended extended oil drain intervals. End of story.

I think it would be wise to explain the GM OLM so that you understand how the system works, and consequently you will know you can trust it.

What is the GM OLM?
The GM OLM (Oil Life Monitor) is a system designed to calculate remaining oil life in your car's engine. The system is based on a computer algorithm that measures the serviceable oil life based on three criteria: crankcase temperature, combustion chamber events (work the engine does), and moisture (which is affected by environmental as well as internal temps and conditions). These three elements are what determine engine oil life. The system is able to calculate the serviceable engine oil life to within (+) or (-) 5 percent.

Can I trust the GM OLM?
Yes, GM engineers have tested the OLM extensively in both laboratory and real world settings since 1984. As a matter of fact, GM has so much faith in the OLM system that they have issued a new "Simplified Maintenance Schedule." Simply stated regarding oil changes, you follow the dictates of the OLM light.

The following is a quote from Peter Lord, the executive director of GM Service Operations: "Customers don't have to worry about deciding when it's the best time to change their engine oil because our Oil Life System technology adapts to their driving conditions and habits, and determines the right interval. Since the new maintenance schedule is based on oil change intervals determined by this technology, customers can save time and cost."
Finally, in the event that you file a warranty claim for the engine, the dealer will be able to determine that the oil changes were done according to the dictates of the OLM and therefore will be able to exonerate you from any denial of a warranty claim.

What are some benefits of the GM OLM?
Use of the GM OLM will often double or even triple the oil change interval for a typical vehicle when compared to the 3,000-mile oil change. The GM OLM will automatically adjust the oil change interval based on engine characteristics, driving habits, and the climate/environment in which the vehicle is operated.For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 7,000 miles and as high as 12,000 miles (in some models). On the other hand, short trip driving in a cold climate may limit the oil change to 3,000 miles or less. In general, most people that drive a combination of city and highway find that the GM OLM will indicate an oil change every 5,000 to 6,000 miles. GM data shows the OLM extends oil change intervals without risks to the engine, saving you money in oil changes.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:54:53 PM by DDavidson »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
Re: Is It Really Necessary to Change the Oil Every 3,000 Miles? Part I
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »

Part II of II

Is It Really Necessary to Change the Oil Every 3,000 Miles?

Savings realized using extended drain intervals
Say you drive 20,000 miles a year, which is above average. If you change oil according to the old recommendation of every 3,000 miles, you will spend on average of $210.00 annually for oil changes (based on $35.00 per oil change for regular oil). Following the extended drain interval for normal service recommendations for Ford at 7500 miles, you can expect to save $116.55 over a year. If you follow the dictates of GM’s OLM, which comes out to approx every 6,000 miles, you can expect to save $93.45 annually.

Synthetic Motor Oil
Synthetic motor oil was first introduced by AMSOIL corp in 1972; Mobile One came on the scene about a year later. Good quality synthetic motor oil, while it is not inpervious to, is highly resistant to viscosity breakdown from heat, friction, oxidation, and chemical contamination. Why? Because of the purer base stock oil used as a foundation coupled to a vigorous chemical additive package added in the final formulation. Synthetic motor oil is more expensive than regular petroleum oil at the outset. But because of the extended drain intervals it’s actually cheaper to use in the long run than regular petroleum oil. Typically, good synthetic motor oil has a drain interval of 7,500 miles for semi-synthetic blend and 20 – 25K miles for full synthetic motor oil. Much longer drain intervals have been recorded but I am not comfortable with going much beyond these intervals. Also, I am only quoting AMSOIL and Mobile One drain intervals, as these are the number one and two oils respectively. For more info about AMSOIL online go to: www.thelubepage.com and for Mobile One: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Home/Homepage.aspx.

Til’ next time…Keep Rollin’

Tom Torbjornsen is an automotive expert of 37 years. An automotive journalist in good standing with the IMPA (International Motor Press Association) and MPG (Motor Press Guild), Torbjornsen is the Repair and Maintenance Editor for AOL Autos, At Home Portals, and many other websites. Hear his radio show AMERICA’S CAR SHOW, on the SSI Radio Network Saturdays at noon and on Sirius XM Satellite Radio Channel - Stars Too – Sirius 108 and XM 139; Sunday afternoons - 5PM EST, listen to the show on the live stream during regular show times at www.americascarshow.com. Send your car questions to his website at: www.americascarshow.com.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:52:29 PM by DDavidson »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe

Good advice that I (and most others) were already following. Gives me a warm fuzzy to see it in print.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member

Good advice that I (and most others) were already following. Gives me a warm fuzzy to see it in print.

I like warm fuzzy feeling too, I change my oil every 2500-3000 miles, closer to 2500.   I'm one of those ancient dinosor users.   :2vrolijk_21:.....   I also change filter with each oil change.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:09:12 AM by cvobiker »

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B

I've been using Mobil 1 exclusively in my vehicles (cars and bike) for 20 years.  In the cars I go 10K miles between oil/filter changes and the bike about half that.  My current car has 315K miles on it and the engine runs like new, my bike has 65K miles and engine parts are still like new (have had apart for other than oil related reasons).  I won't use anything else.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange

Using synthetics in both bikes and change the oil every 5K
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black

x2

A guy could go broke changing every 3k miles, expecially if you have to pay a tech to change it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:15:25 PM by 110 Mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black

+ 1      :2vrolijk_21:
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2

I change mine every 3000 miles using Mobil I and new filter each time but then I suffer from OCD.  ;D
Jesus is Lord

dlhovland

My TDI Jetta has had religious oil changes ever ten thousand miles wether it needed it or not.  LOL   It currently has 245,000 miles and does not burn oil. I change the oil in my duramax once a year about every 5,000 miles. My road glide once a year or every 5'000 miles.  Everything has synthetic in it
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:19:30 PM by dlhovland »
2011 road glide ultra CVO

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: ARTICLE - Is It Really Necessary to Change the Oil Every 3,000 Miles?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 12:38:41 PM »

I am in the automotive industry and absolutely know from empirical data that it is unnecessary to change synthetic often. In my cars I change around every 15000 to 20000 miles. In my bike, every 2500 miles. It just makes me feel better though logically very stupid. Nothing about my SERGC is logical...
Alan

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 03:16:14 PM »

I run Mobil-1 V-Twin in both of my bikes...I change every 5,000 miles, or every fall regardless of mileage if I don't put 5K on either one of them.  I've been using Mobil One in my vehicles since 1979.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »

This question has been rattling around in my head for the last few days and this article couldn't be more timely. 

I've typically use full synthetic in all my vehicles and have for years.  Even though I've been told offhand that you can run them a lot longer than the 3000 mile interval, I never realized it could be upwards of 20,000 plus.  I've changed oil in my four wheeled vehicles around 7,500 miles or when the oil started looking like it was dirty.  I don't want dirty oil in anything I own, no matter how few miles driven. 

Thanks for posting this DDavidson!  It helped answer a question about when to change the oil in my bike.   :2vrolijk_21:

Like some others, I'm pretty anal about maintenance and would rather do more than  necessary, than too little.  But that's just my OCD. 

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 25 queries.