Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: What do you guys think about Ducati?  (Read 12430 times)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
What do you guys think about Ducati?
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:37:55 AM »

I've been watching a bunch of vids for a few days and I'm in love with how some of these (or any Ducati) sound with exhaust. I went to the local dealer today and checked out a Diavel and was kinda impressed how the seat fit me like a glove. The rain ruined my chance for a spin, but next chance I get to try out 162 hp I'm doing it. I think I'm starting to get bored with my bike and want something different, but not sure how I would cope without all the goodies and storage I'm used to on mine. Any experience some of you have with Ducati would be greatly appreciated!   
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
Re: What do you guys think about Ducati?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »

I like them as well.  Not so much for riding two up.  Very nice handling,  had a 2006 998 monster. 

Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:35:46 AM »

Beautiful bikes. Love to have one as a second motor one day.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »

I lust after a Mulitstrada. Afraid to test ride one for fear I won't be able to walk away. Definately the second best sounding motorcycle brand on the planet. Concerned about the dealer network in the US. All models exude sex appeal and run like banshees. Have known more than one person to sell theirs due to excess power and fear of death. Good luck on your search.

mark

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »

Diavel is one of the coolest bikes out there.  Would love to have one.  The only down side is the lack of dealerships and I imagine maintenance is costly.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 10:39:47 AM »

You should PM Terry (midnight rider) he has owned one or two and can fill you in. :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 10:46:12 AM »

I owned a 2005 Multistrada for about a year and loved the bike, after making a few mods to it.  The seats back then left something to be desired, but they have since addressed that problem.  No other bike sounds like a Ducati.  The maintenance intervals on the newer engines have been increased...the largest expense is valve adjustment, which used to have to be done at 7500 miles, but is now at 15,000 mile intervals.  Other services are easy enough to do yourself, if so inclined.  The dealer network is limited, depending on where you live.  

The Diavel Grand Tourismo is a bike I would definitely consider....with a rack on the back, you could load it up for true touring.  Same is true for the Multistrada GT.   People either hate the look of the MTS or love it...I happen to like the look. Both of the GT models have enough bells and whistles to satisfy the real needs for touring...heated grips, heated seat, electronically adjustable suspension and engine output.  IMO, you get a lot of bike for the buck.

With the power those bikes put out, you do have to watch yourself though, as they just beg to be run, and you'll be going much faster than you realize before you know it.  Handling is outstanding, as are the brakes.  The seat heights are pretty tall, but the bike doesn't weigh much...less than 500 lbs...so it's not a huge deal.  I'm only 5'8" with a 29" inseam and while I was on my toes when stopping, I got used to it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »

I think the Diavel with an aftermarket exhaust like Werkes, Remus, Zard or the full Termignoni system sounds wicked.  I absolutely love this bike.  My biggest problem is the maintenance annunciator light has to be reset by a dealership.  There is a company that is close to developing the software that allows you to reset it yourself but I understand it to be expensive.  Ducati has their oil changes due at 7500 miles and personally, I would be doing mine at half that just because of my OCD.  You should get on the Diavel Forum and check it out and read about the good, bad and ugly of the bike.  If I do get another ride it will definitely be the Diavel. 
Jesus is Lord

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »

I made an error in the above post:  The Multistrada is available in the Grandtourismo configuration and the Diavel Strada is the "touring" version of the Diavel.

TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »

I made an error in the above post:  The Multistrada is available in the Grandtourismo configuration and the Diavel Strada is the "touring" version of the Diavel.

We all forgive you.   ???
Jesus is Lord

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 08:39:50 PM »

The Multi is an amazing bike.  If your body works with the seating position, it's immensely rewarding to ride. 

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »

no biggie I didn't know the difference.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 09:31:07 PM »

I got the same itch a few months ago and went and spent a day on a Diavel (around 100+ miles) that they let me try out. Amazing power and braking for sure! Truth is that if I would have had a good salesperson I would have bought it that day. I got back to the dealer about a hour before they close and gave him all the "buying signals" I could but he was worried about getting stuck late at work. They are closed on Sun and Mon which gave me enought time to reconsider so by the time he called me late on Tues to ask me "if we have a deal" I had decided I needed it like a hOle in the head. As far as the bike goes though it is definitely a E ticket ride. For me it was just that I struggle with my work schedule to ride my bike now as much as I would like and I am afraid that having another would just frustrate me more. When I do ride I was also worried that I would miss my stereo system and other comfort deals that my CVO has. To fix my "boredom issue" I stuck in a 120r trying to ge the best of both worlds..
Sorry to ramble but I know exactly what you are thinking so thought I would share..
Alan

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 11:10:11 PM »

DUCATI??????? Ahhhhh The Pasta Glide!!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »

I just got rid of a Multistrada it was a great bike 150hp great handling bike.  the electronic suspension has great adjustability.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »

:coolblue:
I just got rid of a Multistrada it was a great bike 150hp great handling bike.  the electronic suspension has great adjustability.

Why did you sell it? Just curious.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »

Thanks for all the support so far and please keep it coming. I've been going so crazy thinking about this lately my head feels like the robot from "Lost in Space" on sensory overload. I don't have as much time right now to address everyone & everything, but I'd like to at least get started.

First off ... I'm real picky, meticulous, impatient, impulsive, PITA sometimes and trying my best to make the right decision this time. As much as I would love to keep mine and get the Ducati of my choice ... that's out of the question until I hit the lottery. I love the looks of the Diavel but I can kiss goodbye all my storage and tunes for all that power. The Multistrada is an awesome bike. I watched a National Geographic show all about it and was amazed at how much time, money, quality and engineering was poured into the making of it. While that bike also appeals to me I'm not sure if I can get past the funky look of it. The Grandturismo (thanks Terry, I knew what you meant) would give me back some of the storage loss and I doubt I would even notice a 12hp drop from the Diavel.

Maybe I should ride both if possible? One problem is the 1.99% financing isn't offered for the Multistrada like it is with the Diavel. Another downer is the riding season will be coming to an end here pretty soon and that rate is only offered til Dec. 31st this year so I can't ponder about it as long as I would like. I still owe about $13k for mine and was told he would most likely be able to give me payoff (or possibly a little more), but I'm afraid of making another impulsive decision I may regret.

I'm pretty sure the handling and performance of either model will not disappoint me so that's another fear. Insurance cost for a performance bike also has me scared, I have a lot to think about. I've rambled enough for now so thanks if you took the time to read chapter one of this novel.

Brian         
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:31 PM »

If you can only have 1 you really need to think about that! I have never regretted not buying the Diavel and I was getting it as a 2nd bike. Couldn't imagine not having the option of "cruising" with my music going not to mention what I would do with all my D
HD gear...
I spent a few nights on a couple of the various Ducatti/Diavel forums and for that reason alone don't do it...
Alan

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 01:57:30 AM »

Too bad they don't let you order the Diavel with a trunk, saddlebags, cigarette lighter and radio then I know exactly what I would do.

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »

I personally don't think you'd ever know the MTS has 12HP less than the Diavel.  Both bikes are scary fast.  I think the MTS is a more versatile bike overall, plus it has more bells and whistles standard.  It is probably more suited to some off road stuff too, like gravel roads, etc.  The MTS look is something you either like or don't...personally, I've always liked the look.  It looks like some kind of Raptor bird...like a Hawk.  There's a few things to be mindful of with the MTS: The seat height is pretty tall, so if you're a short person, that's something to be aware of.  It's not heavy, so it's not a HUGE deal, but takes some getting used to when stopping at lights, etc.  I had to sort of cock my ass off to one side of the seat in order to get a good purchase with my foot of choice (usually the left).  I understand they have improved the seats a lot, so an aftermarket seat might not be necessary now...the older models had seats that were like sitting on a 2X10.  I put a Corbin on my '05 and solved that problem.  Also, because I have a 32" sleeve length, I put risers on the bars to get them up a bit more...again, I understand they have improved the bar position now.  You have to be really aware of how fast you are going...the bike LOVES to run, and you'll be going much faster than you realize, really quickly.  I looked down one day on a long stretch of straight road (with line of sight for a good mile) and was doing 110mph and still had another gear left.  And that was on the old air cooled motor...the new one would be MUCH quicker.  The problem, if you want to call it a problem, is that the bike is so rock solid and handles so well, the perception of speed changes as you grow accustomed to the ride.  The suspension and brakes are so good that it actually improves your riding ability...in the twisties, there's nothing like it and I never came close to reaching the limits of lean angle, and I consider myself to be a pretty aggressive rider in the curves.  The accessories are kind of pricey...the full Terg exhaust system will set you back about 2K. But that includes the ECM modification, K&N filter, and the exhaust system. There are some other systems out there too, for a bit less money.  And you can just put slip on mufflers to get a bit more sound, with the stock header pipes.

The Diavel Strada has smaller bags and lacks a few bells and whistles.  I have tried to go on the Ducati site and see if it can be fitted with some of the things that come on the MTS, particularly a luggage rack or topcase, but the site is super slow today, or my connection speed is down.  The Diavel has a lower seat height and more upright sitting position, with the bars coming back a bit more, especially on the Strada model.

I would not hesitate traveling on either bike, but probably would not be doing many 500-600 mile days on either.  But, I'm old and stiff, so the leg/feet positioning would start telling on me after 300 miles or so.  But a 300 mile day is, to me, a nice, reasonable distance to travel in one day, particularly if you stop and smell the roses a bit.  With either bike, you'll need a GOOD Full face helmet...something like the Schuberth C3 would likely be a good choice.  Not having external speakers on a bike is not a big deal for me...even on my CVO bikes, I usually listened to the stereo through the headset in my helmet.  So using an Ipod or something similar and streaming via Bluetooth would work fine for me.

Both bikes are engineering marvels, and if you like something "different", excellent bikes.  But they are 180 degrees different than a HD.  Personally, I have probably owned my last HD bike.  The Ducati forums are also different...some good technical information, but don't expect a lot of great social interaction like there is here.  But this site is unique in so many ways, not even other HD sites compare, IMO.

TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »

I like the MTS also but was concerned about the seat height being too tall for my short legs.  The Diavel's fit is just right but having the MTS's ability to do some off road riding is a nice plus.  There have been many times I've come across a dirt or gravel back road that I've wondered where it went to but didn't take it out of fear of bottoming out the suspension or scratching my springer's delicate surface. (she's kinda funny about stuff like that)  I'm about ready to make the switch to one of the ducs.  Wife says that I'll be sorry but I'm not so sure.
Jesus is Lord

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 11:13:36 AM »

Well I finally had a chance yesterday to try out the Diavel Strada and was completely blown away and amazed ... what an awesome machine. The power is just unreal when you're so used to a 103 with no more tweaks other than exhaust with a generic tune. This thing probably has twice the hp than mine. I couldn't agree more that they are a totally different animal from a Harley, but that's a good thing. They gave me no limitations on the time or mileage so trying not to be too greedy I spent maybe a little over 30 minutes with it ... one of the best half hours of my life. I almost didn't want to bring it back ... yes, it's that addictive.

I'm 5'10" and the bike fit me very well ... both feet flat on the ground while stopped if I wanted, comfortable upright stance with a relaxed reach to the bars ... kinda felt at home on it. I think the bars are a bit less of a reach for better comfort over the other models. The single switch for the signals goofed me up at first until I remembered it's not a Harley. The digital or led gauges are a different look but simple to read and were starting to grow on me. Doesn't take long to toggle through the three different performance modes on the fly, you just press a button to have them come up on the screen and then hold in the signal cancel switch to select which one you want provided the throttle is completely closed ... and it spells that out for you if you didn't know about it. I didn't really play with some of the other features like trip meters, avg. mpg ... etc. One feature highly missed is cruise control unless I just didn't know how to work it ... if it even has it, not sure ... didn't inquire about that. I constantly use it on mine because my throttle hand always goes to sleep on me and have to shake the blood flow back into it periodically.      

I threw a few scenarios at it ... a little city cruising, a few minor twisties and a quick blast up/down one exit on I-79. Fire it up and the first thing you hear is a pretty decent rumble at idle for stock pipes. The real eye opener is how really, REALLY responsive the throttle is, it's instantaneous like nothing I've ever felt before. Pull in the hydraulic clutch, click it in first and smile because it doesn't feel or hear like the trans. is going to explode like I'm used to. The hydraulic clutch action has a light feel and works smoothly, a couple fingers is not a problem. The bike easily walks away from a dead stop practically idling without constantly blipping the throttle while feathering the clutch like I see so many people do (just makes me cringe). Start toeing (no heel shifter) up through the gears and you're treated with shifts as smooth as the clutch operates. The same goes for downshifting, but you have to be careful rev matching or you'll catch yourself over-revving it ... just a VERY slight blip is all that's needed. The throttle is like a hair trigger compared to a HD, especially because I left it in the touchiest (sport) setting most of the time. Sport and touring modes both give you all 162 ponies on tap while urban mode cuts it back to 100 hp (never tried it). There is a noticeable difference between sport and touring ... sport has a much faster, racier feel while touring is more gradual and not as abrupt. The engine has plenty enough low-end grunt around 3k for just putting at a nice steady pace, but lay into it hard from there and it feels like you're lugging it, so for that no strain feel just drop a gear and pin it ... although it still lunges forward ok without a downshift if you're in no hurry, just doesn't feel right. The engine's sweet spot seems to be closer to the 4-5k range for those quick blasts of throttle without that laboring feel. Watch the tach's bar graph slide over to around 7-8k and hang on because the engine feels WIDE awake there ... like you turned on the afterburners, what a rush! I almost shat myself on that brief highway blast as I quickly glanced at the speedo showing 140+ mph while noticing how fast I had caught up to traffic and had to get on the binders ... and it didn't take long to get it there or slow down. I'm sure there was much more left, but that was enough for me. Not sure what the speed or rev limiter is set at because I never touched either one and no desire to. You could easily lose your license or life in no time on this bike. It's scary how this bike tempts the little kid out of me because the feeling is so irresistible and it's hard to restrain myself ... that worries me the most.

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »

CONTINUED ...

Handling is also great for a part-time muscle cruiser, but I never came even close to pushing the limits there. It gave me good confidence through the curves and easy to flick around, but I didn't want to get carried away. I'm sure this wasn't meant to be a canyon carver like a sport bike however it felt like one compared to mine. The brakes are awesome and haul you down nicely although I didn't have a need to use them too agressively. I could use just my middle finger on the front lever without the need for anymore than that. At first I had trouble finding the rear brake since the pedal isn't as big as a Peterbilt, but after a couple tries I got it ... sort of reminded me of a dirt bike the way it's tucked in. The suspension was ok for me although I didn't really have time to thoroughly see how it handled every situation, most of the roads I traveled were fairly smooth and I didn't ride it like a crotch rocket either ... except for that one quick, straight line thrill on I-79.

The only dislikes I had was the lack of c/c and wind protection from the shield and the one on the Strada is a little bigger than the rest of the Diavels. I'm used to it blowing over me, not in my face. I wore my half-shell so my uncovered big ears amplified all the wind noise. I couldn't really hear the exhaust at speed unless I turned my head sideways. A nice full face or 3/4 would take care of that problem if I liked them but I don't. Maybe an aftermarket shield could help that. I would prefer hard, lockable bags over the soft zipper ones and also a trunk, not sure if that's possible. Yes, I would miss my tunes as well ... until I spent that $2k for full exhaust and that would be all the music I need on this beast.

All in all ... I absolutely, positively LOVED it, very exhilarating to ride, looks tough (got a couple "What is that? Looks mean!" at a few red lights) and a technical marvel compared to a HD for about three grand less than I paid for mine (both in stock trim, no goodies). Still not sure if I could own one as a primary bike for fear of losing my license or if they don't scrape me off the pavement with a shovel first. They were also going to let me try a Multistrada out if the battery wasn't dead and said to stop back again. I think I'll take them up on that offer today and sit down and pound out some numbers on each bike and go from there. I've ridden quite a few different bikes over the years and this ranks at the top of my list ... most fun I've EVER had on a bike! I almost had to learn how to ride big blue all over again as I left because it felt like a heavy mini-bike with a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton.    

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »

Nice review on the Diavel. Glad you liked it. Keep us posted if you ride the Multi.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »

Thanks and I'll do that ... I think that was my longest post ever on here. I never had to cut anything before and had to call the wife at work so I didn't lose this novel, i'm not computer savvy. I even took pics with my phone cause there was no way I was re-thinking all that if I lost it. I don't contribute here as much as some, but when I do I try to be thorough. Gotta get ready to head up there now so I'll keep those of you posted that are interested in these bikes like I am.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 12:47:45 PM »

Too bad they don't let you order the Diavel with a trunk, saddlebags, cigarette lighter and radio then I know exactly what I would do.

Same here!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »

I am looking forward to your MTS review.  I stopped by my only local dealer but he doesn't have a bike to demo/test ride as my commuter/second bike.  Kind of hard to sell if you don't let people ride it!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »

Don't know anything about them but had a friend come up on one to ride the the Black Hills. With all the tight and frequent twisties he could not get revs up to where the bike was comfortable and he had to stop a few times so it could cool off...

jb

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »

Phantom309, great review.  I knew you would be blown away after riding one.  I think I could get used to the Diavel.  :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »

Don't know anything about them but had a friend come up on one to ride the the Black Hills. With all the tight and frequent twisties he could not get revs up to where the bike was comfortable and he had to stop a few times so it could cool off...

jb

Say what?  :nixweiss:  That has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard happening while riding a bike of any type.  Even the old air cooled Ducatis had ample power and response from 3500-8000 RPM.  That's a pretty wide margin of RPM with a 6 speed transmission, and I cannot imagine not being able to find the engine's happy spot with gear ratio and power band like that.  I think that had more to do with the rider being either unfamiliar with the bike, or simply refusing to downshift the bike when needed.  The same would be true of ANY bike...brand has nothing to do with it, and rider ability does.

TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 07:51:11 PM »

Say what?  :nixweiss:  That has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard happening while riding a bike of any type.  Even the old air cooled Ducatis had ample power and response from 3500-8000 RPM.  That's a pretty wide margin of RPM with a 6 speed transmission, and I cannot imagine not being able to find the engine's happy spot with gear ratio and power band like that.  I think that had more to do with the rider being either unfamiliar with the bike, or simply refusing to downshift the bike when needed.  The same would be true of ANY bike...brand has nothing to do with it, and rider ability does.

A BIG X2!   :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 10:57:27 PM »

Well guys my mind is in a thousand different places right now, to make a long story short I'm even worse off now because I'm in love with this even MORE than the Diavel. I gotta go back out on mine and try to clear my head a little before I start another chapter. Don't mean to leave anyone hanging but I'm stressed about much more than just, deciding about bikes. Just not in the mood right now so I'll get back after I cool off a little. I don't drink or do drugs and riding my bike is my way of blowing off steam so try to bare with me.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 11:10:07 PM »

I am looking forward to your MTS review.  I stopped by my only local dealer but he doesn't have a bike to demo/test ride as my commuter/second bike.  Kind of hard to sell if you don't let people ride it!

I understand your frustration and I can think of a couple reasons why they're hesitant after what I witnessed at the dealer today. I'll fill you in more later and after riding the MTS I can honestly say they don't need to push these on anyone, they sell themselves. 
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 05:08:07 AM »

I got the same itch a few months ago and went and spent a day on a Diavel (around 100+ miles) that they let me try out. Amazing power and braking for sure! Truth is that if I would have had a good salesperson I would have bought it that day. I got back to the dealer about a hour before they close and gave him all the "buying signals" I could but he was worried about getting stuck late at work. They are closed on Sun and Mon which gave me enought time to reconsider so by the time he called me late on Tues to ask me "if we have a deal" I had decided I needed it like a hOle in the head. As far as the bike goes though it is definitely a E ticket ride. For me it was just that I struggle with my work schedule to ride my bike now as much as I would like and I am afraid that having another would just frustrate me more. When I do ride I was also worried that I would miss my stereo system and other comfort deals that my CVO has. To fix my "boredom issue" I stuck in a 120r trying to ge the best of both worlds..
Sorry to ramble but I know exactly what you are thinking so thought I would share..

Please ramble away, you sound a lot like me so I know where you're coming from. I have so much on my plate at the moment I don't know where to start or end my rambling.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 05:16:18 AM »

:coolblue:
Why did you sell it? Just curious.

X2 ... I could be wrong but maybe you answered your own question with what you said in your first post? ... don't know.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 05:26:50 AM »

I owned a 2005 Multistrada for about a year and loved the bike, after making a few mods to it.  The seats back then left something to be desired, but they have since addressed that problem.  No other bike sounds like a Ducati.  The maintenance intervals on the newer engines have been increased...the largest expense is valve adjustment, which used to have to be done at 7500 miles, but is now at 15,000 mile intervals.  Other services are easy enough to do yourself, if so inclined.  The dealer network is limited, depending on where you live.  

The Diavel Grand Tourismo is a bike I would definitely consider....with a rack on the back, you could load it up for true touring.  Same is true for the Multistrada GT.   People either hate the look of the MTS or love it...I happen to like the look. Both of the GT models have enough bells and whistles to satisfy the real needs for touring...heated grips, heated seat, electronically adjustable suspension and engine output.  IMO, you get a lot of bike for the buck.

With the power those bikes put out, you do have to watch yourself though, as they just beg to be run, and you'll be going much faster than you realize before you know it.  Handling is outstanding, as are the brakes.  The seat heights are pretty tall, but the bike doesn't weigh much...less than 500 lbs...so it's not a huge deal.  I'm only 5'8" with a 29" inseam and while I was on my toes when stopping, I got used to it.

You summed that up perfectly except my salesman is telling me the intervals are 18k miles for these new engines. When I asked for ballpark price he told me to expect in the neighborhood of $600 for that service.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 05:37:28 AM »

If you can only have 1 you really need to think about that! I have never regretted not buying the Diavel and I was getting it as a 2nd bike. Couldn't imagine not having the option of "cruising" with my music going not to mention what I would do with all my D
HD gear...
I spent a few nights on a couple of the various Ducatti/Diavel forums and for that reason alone don't do it...

Trust me, I'm racking my brain stewing about this! I'm seriously struggling to make the right decision. I'm so frustrated I can't sleep, not eating right, headache after headache ...
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »

If you can swing it financially, go ahead and buy the Ducati and keep the SEEG. You'll have all you need and be able to get your life back on track. Sounds like you're making yourself sick thinking about it so much, the doctor doesn't offer 1.9% financing. Just sayin'

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »

Ok, here goes chapter whatever ... I'm so screwed up I lost track. My slow fingers can't keep up with all the racing thoughts running through my mind right now so I'll start at the beginning of my day (yesterday), TRYING to spare the fine print. I had sweaty palms like the feeling a first date gives you when I called my salesman. The Diavel ride excited me so much I was nervous and anxious when I asked him if I could now try the MTS Granturismo today ... keep in mind this is now the third time this guy has gone to bat for me. The first time was earlier this spring when I gave the BMW K 1600 GTL a try and didn't like all the drive line lash ... hell of a nice guy to put up with me this far. He said "Glad to hear from you, come on up, I'll get it ready" ... now for the good stuff.

I told him max hp setting with softest suspension and off I go. Same deal as the Diavel with the smooth clutch and transmission. This time I payed closer attention to every little detail for a fair comparison between the two. The MTS easily rolls out from a dead stop every time with NO throttle at all, just like the DS. Engine characteristics are identical even though this is rated 12 hp less, you would never know and I couldn't feel any difference. Everything still stands the same as far as how, when and where the power comes on at all the engine speeds previously mentioned so really nothing new in the engine dept. Here's where it all changes ...

My stance on this is slightly different, I can't quite put my finger on it but nothing awkward and still as comfortable as the DS ... perhaps saddle height is why. Having two feet firmly planted on the ground is past-tense, both heels are now waving in the breeze although not a problem. The height of this seat on the MTS has me shifting my can a bit one way or the other AND stretching to have one foot flat, but not really necessary. The wind in my face problem is now solved on the MTS, not completely but much improved and more tolerable. Windshield all the way down blows some in your face, up all the way blows the majority over my head. It's easily adjustable on the fly too, just squeeze the simple pinch tab with a finger and thumb and release it.

Now for handling ... those Italians certainly did their homework here! Not that I felt the DS suffered, but these two bikes seem worlds apart to me in this dept. The MTS has a much lighter, more nimble feel and was REALLY a great thrill to flick around in the twisties. This is the closest I've come to riding a real corner carver without that uncomfortable, awkward stretch across the gas tank like a crotch rocket. I see exactly what Terry meant about this bike now, it is truly more confidence inspiring through the twisties the more time you spend in the seat ... it definitely does egg you on to run it. I found myself riding more aggressively than I did on the DS and I never experienced any uneasy feelings, it's very sure-footed.  

I ran the same identical route as last time except for one deviation. Cars kept spoiling my fun through one of my favorite twisty spots so I took some extra trips through there when the coast was clear and I loved every second of it. This thing is so well balanced it practically keeps itself upright ... stop signs are a delight when you can fully stop and take off without removing a foot from the pegs, I have found the bike of my dreams. Granted they were empty there's no hint that you're even carrying a trunk and hard bags, can't tell that they're there besides trying to throw a leg over the seat then trunk kinda gets in the way a little. If there was a law against having too much fun the MTS breaks it, I can't stop thinking about it.                

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2013, 12:08:55 PM »

If you can swing it financially, go ahead and buy the Ducati and keep the SEEG. You'll have all you need and be able to get your life back on track. Sounds like you're making yourself sick thinking about it so much, the doctor doesn't offer 1.9% financing. Just sayin'

Thanks I wish it were that easy, but that isn't in the cards financially and the 1.99% is for the Diavel only, not the MTS which is what I really want now. Maybe I should just wait and hope I get lucky that a better rate comes along for the MTS. I should stop worrying myself with winter around the bend anyway, but you know how it is once you get a bug up your ass about something.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:15:06 AM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »

I always found it easier to mount the MTS by putting my foot/leg over the bike like I was doing a karate kick, except I'm so old and stiff that I have to actually grab my foot and stick it over the seat.  But I mount all bikes in that manner.  I would guess that the MTS has a totally different center of gravity than the Diavel and thus the different "feel"...plus the bars are different.  And the MTS has different suspension characteristics.  If you loaded the bike for travel by placing heavier items in the panniers (that's Eurospeak for saddlebags) and lighter things in the Topcase, the handling would not be adversely affected.  That's the way all bikes should be loaded actually.

Question: I added the rack and topcase to my MTS and the topcase was easily removed when not needed...is the topcase on the new ones the same?

Sounds to me like you've made up your mind and just have to decide when... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:32 AM »

I need to stop reading this thread....
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »

I would love to see Ducati come out with a true touring bike with GPS/Stereo and cruise control.  If they did, my mind would be made up!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »

I was so tired the other day I completely skipped over the suspension on the MTS. Lets just say it's like floating on a cloud when comparing to my Road Glide Ultra. I'm not sure which of the four settings he chose for me since I wasn't paying attention when he selected it. The DS suspension really didn't give me anything to complain about, but the MTS is like having your cake with extra whipped cream and cherries on top and leaving nothing behind except for the stems, it was that comfortable to me. The seat alone is more plush on my bike, but certainly not the quality of the ride. The MTS just never ceases to amaze me the more I keep thinking about it and I only had a little taste of it ... I want more.

Terry, I'm not sure about the removal of the top box ... didn't ask or even cross my mind. Knowing how I am it would never come off the bike unless I wanted to clean under it which I am anal enough to do. I will ask for you when I go back on Tuesday.

I admit the bike lacks that nostalgic beauty of mine, but this beast makes me forget all about that and the different looks are starting to grow on me already. The three major reasons leaving me on the fence at the moment are only the creature comforts of a radio, cruise control and a cigarette lighter ... yes, really that's it. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling Ducati isn't offering 1.99% for the MTS for a reason. They know if you ride both the Diavel and the MTS, they have to dangle some candy in your face to lure you back to the Diavel IF you can pry yourself off the MTS and it isn't easy.    

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »

I would love to see Ducati come out with a true touring bike with GPS/Stereo and cruise control.  If they did, my mind would be made up!

Bingo!  :2vrolijk_21:  You took the words right out of my mouth. I'll trade that GPS for a lighter though. You squeezed that in before I had a chance to finish my last post and that's the main reason holding me back right now.

Oh well, I'm outta here for now. Gonna fire up the big blue beauty, push in that lighter, crank up the tunes, play with my cruise and stew about this on the road!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:00:37 PM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »

The three major reasons leaving me on the fence at the moment are only the creature comforts of a radio, cruise control and a cigarette lighter ... yes, really that's it. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling Ducati isn't offering 1.99% for the MTS for a reason.

http://www.powerlet.com/product/handlebar-power-outlet/456

One problem solved...

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »

Tuneboy also offers a cruise control kit for the MTS/Diavel.  It's around $400, is electronic, and works just like the one on your HD.

The powerlet option is a good one if you must have a cigarette lighter.  There are already two power outlets on the bike for heated gear, phone charging, etc.  I'm a smoker and can count on one hand the number of times I used the cigarette light on my HD bikes.  If I need to smoke I do so when I stop for fuel and take a 15 minute break.  Smoking while riding never really worked too well for me.

I know you said previously that you wear a half helmet.  I can't imagine riding a bike like the MTS with a half helmet on for a number of reasons...first, I do not think they are as safe as a 3/4, Full Face, or Flip Face.  Flip face helmets are the best thing since pajamas with feet in them, especially if you wear glasses.  Second, a half helmet allows much too much wind noise to the ears, not to mention bugs/debris to the face. Third, a half helmet would look weird on a Ducati, IMO. Last, a helmet that provides more coverage also allows a more aerodynamic flow of air over the top and sides of the windshield...less buffeting and no feeling like the helmet is being lifted off your head.

Unless you have some particular reason to NOT wear a better, more protective helmet, a Flip Face like the Schuberth C3 Pro, the Nolan N-104, etc allows use of a Bluetooth headset.  Both Schuberth and Nolan provide their own versions of headsets designed for their helmets...the Schuberth is one of the most clever designs in that the system replaces the "collar" on the bottom of the helmet, as shown here: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-pro-src-system    One other good option is the Shark Evoline 3, which, to my knowledge, is the only helmet that converts to a true 3/4 without removing any parts...simply release the chin bar and flip it all the way back and you have a 3/4.  Shark also offers their own version, made to fit, of a Bluetooth.  Any of those helmets would solve the third problem...the tunes.  Simply load your smartphone with tunes and stream them to the helmet. It will also connect to the GPS system available for the MTS via bluetooth so you get directions in the headset.  If you just can't stand anything other than a 1/2 helmet, the same phone could be hardwired via some good earbuds, and kept fully charged via one of the two power outlets on the side of the bike.

Just food for thought...

TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »

Midnight Rider has successfully removed all your obstacles that you gave earlier in purchasing the MTS.  Now you have no excuses. Go and get that MTS and post some pics ASAP!
Jesus is Lord

fresch

• CVO1: 2011 cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2008 cvo dyna annv color
    • CVO3: 2012 ducati streetfighter s
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 07:14:09 AM »

sent you a pm

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »

Finally got some well needed sleep, can't remember the last time I slept for 12 hrs or better. I have it so bad for this bike I rode up yesterday when they were closed just to gaze at it through the window. I wish it were as easy as some of you are making it out to be, but it isn't ... for me at least. It all comes down to money in the end (doesn't it always?). I really didn't want to put this out there, but don't care anymore I'm getting so desperate. I could have rode off with it that day after my test ride if my wife co-signed. She thinks I need this bike like a hole in the head and I kind of agree to a point, but I know deep down I really do want it. My credit is really good, but at the moment my debt to equity ratio is bad so I need her to co-sign and she doesn't want to. This is a major letdown for me because I purchased my last four brand-new bikes (including the RGU) on my own without a co-signer. She's hesitant because in my last fifteen years of driving tri-axle dump, these last couple years (especially this year) are the worst I've ever seen in my life. I'm getting by, but just barely. I have three other bikes (2 dirt & 1 street) that are paid for collecting dust that I want rid of, but don't want to give away. Today's economy sucks and many others are in my boat so I understand trying to get a bargain, but I don't want to get beat up too bad on them. My wife is willing to go up there with me later today after work to help out, but not to co-sign. I have to see if we can figure something out. All will be good if I can keep my payments at or less than the $445 per month where I'm at now. Winter sickens me since I'm stuck paying for something I can't use til spring but you have to pay to play. She keeps telling me the riding season is almost over for the year (which I know) so why get a new bike now, but what's the difference? Provided I can keep my payment the same or a bit less than it is now, it would still cost me the same if a 2.5 yr. old Harley or a new Ducati sits in the garage for the winter.        
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:54:33 PM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »

sent you a pm

Thanks, now you have one.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »

Midnight Rider has successfully removed all your obstacles that you gave earlier in purchasing the MTS.  Now you have no excuses. Go and get that MTS and post some pics ASAP!

Yes, he has ... wish he could take care of my last hurdle too. I'm gonna try my best and will let you and everyone know the good or bad news later this evening.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »

http://www.powerlet.com/product/handlebar-power-outlet/456

One problem solved...

Thanks, that looks nice but may have to put that one on the back burner if all goes well.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »

Phantom309 I understand the situation you are describing and see both sides. The emotional conflicting with the financial/practical.
I see vehicles as fun and look at each one as potential good times. My spouse looks at vehicles as basic transportation and no need for extra ones or super fancy ones.
We have learned to compromise most of the time on transportation vs. toys and wants vs. needs. Over time we all have problems in life to deal with and many of us learn to put priorities in order so that needs are met before wants.
Just my .02 but maybe the roadblocks you are hitting are gentle ways of telling you that the Ducati is just a want and not a need? You may hate not owning one now but if you get laid off in bad weather or other family financial emergencies come up could you afford to be "bike poor" having all your money tied up in bikes and not cash or savings?
As far as having the new Ducati sitting in the garage over the winter you could think about the fact that the new warranty would be in effect and wearing away while it sits in your garage. Also whether you sell some of your other bikes outright or trade them in since it's near the end of the riding season you won't get as much as if you wait until spring when everyone gets the riding bug. Of course the bikes will be X amount of months older too in the spring.
I know many members on this site have multiple CVOs or other bikes and I thought it would be fun to be a collector but for a little over 3 years I owned two CVOs and found it stressful to keep them both from being neglected or maintained and licensed. Now that I only have one I am more happy and save money at the same time. That's just me though.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2013, 02:05:17 AM »

Why not wait until spring and in the mean time try to sell off the bikes you said were collecting dust.  It will give you some time to think about the matter and if you still feel as strongly about it next spring then get one.  Another consideration is looking for a gently used 2011-2013 model with low miles on it.  If you look around there are some deals out there if you are diligent and prepared to move on then when you see them.  If a used model is not an option then maybe Ducati will have another special financing option by the time you are ready to buy.  It's been my opinion that it is almost always better NOT to buy when the emotions are high.  Like you said, why let it sit in your garage for the winter while you are making monthly payments when it can sit at the dealership.  I see one in your future but be patient Grasshopper. 
Jesus is Lord

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2013, 02:23:58 AM »

Too late, I did it! Payments are a bit less than the Harley and that includes extra three years unlimited miles on top of factory warranty. I'm covered for as long as I'm paying for it. Try to post some pics later, going back out.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2013, 02:45:35 AM »

Too late, I did it! Payments are a bit less than the Harley and that includes extra three years unlimited miles on top of factory warranty. I'm covered for as long as I'm paying for it. Try to post some pics later, going back out.

:2vrolijk_21:  waiting for pics!
Jesus is Lord

fresch

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2013, 07:06:53 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:way to go Phantom

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »

Holy hell this thing should be illegal it's so much fun, I LOVE IT! Pics are gonna have to wait, just came home to get my spare key and owner's manual for big blue. I wasn't leaving without this bike last night so I have to get an inspection sticker on it today if I can stand to park it long enough for that. Only about 150 miles so far, had a little nap when i
I got home after picking it up and read about some of the gadgets (ON-LINE) I couldn't figure out since my manual and stuff was locked up yesterday evening. Rode around looking for every twisty road I could find this morn and even carried the front wheel over a knoll, wasn't even trying. This bike is so awesome I'm sorry I never gave Ducati a chance before now. I think this bike is just what the dr. ordered to yank me out of my rough patch ... no medication needed. I don't miss anything I was all flustered about, they're ALMOST faded memories now. I thank all of you for your help and practical thinking, but I can tell I made the right choice with do doubts whatsoever now, it gets even better the more you ride it. Any of you on the fence like I was, go for it ... trust me, you won't regret it. I love the bike just the way it rolled off the showroom, can't wait to see what I'm like once I have money for the exhaust!

:2vrolijk_21: :orange: DUCATI  :orange: :2vrolijk_21:    
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2013, 11:43:55 AM »

Congratulations on your new love. Just be careful with all that instantly available power, they are completely different animals than H-D's. Enjoy!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2013, 11:45:09 AM »

Happy that you are happy!! :2vrolijk_21:

Financial issues are never any fun, but things have a way of working out, most of the time.  I have never, and will never, have enough money on hand to go write a check for any vehicle, regardless of purpose.  That's just the way it is.  Most of the people I know cannot do so either.

Need some pics of the new bike when you get the chance and keep us informed as you get used to the bike.

TTS Mastertune

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »

Congrats on the new scoot! Enjoy the ride!

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »

He was in first gear at speeds between 5mph and 25mph most of the way. My HD did not overheat and I was right there with him??????

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2013, 08:35:15 AM »

Here's a shot at the dealer.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2013, 08:42:27 AM »

Here it was parked next to big blue with me trying to figure out if I could live with the different looks.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2013, 08:51:23 AM »

Another
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2013, 08:56:27 AM »

Close up of the nose.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2013, 09:03:26 AM »

This shows the virgin rubber scrubbed in a little after it's one and only test ride. The tires saw nothing but carpet time on the showroom before I took it out.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »

Very nice! Like that color combination and the nose looks wicked.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2013, 09:08:45 AM »

A close up under the tail ... look at all that suspension travel. If I remember right, I think it's 6.7" front and rear.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2013, 09:24:28 AM »

First fill-up, I also topped it off to the neck prior to this. Pretty impressive mileage considering I put it through 134 miles of city riding with a heavy wrist.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2013, 10:02:48 AM »

Only a little over 200 miles on the clock so far an every mile I love it more. Here's a few MINOR (and my only) dislikes so far ... Headlights light the road like a stadium at night EXCEPT for aggressive riding through the twisties, my Road Glide would shine further in the turns with the high beam. Nice thing is ALL the lights stay on when you use the high beam. With all the thought and engineering Ducati put into this great machine, they should've relocated the driving/fog lights to the lower fork area to alleviate this problem.

Top box and bags require the use of the key any time you wish to open or close them, but no biggie ... you can't forget to lock them this way unless you would leave your key in one of the locks, lol. The latching mechanisms are tricky at first when you're used to a Harley, gets easier once you play with them a bit.

Lastly, I mentioned a slight buzzing or small vibration right at 3500 rpms. I was feeling around trying to locate it with no luck ... thought it might have been the springs for the windscreen adjuster but no. This is what impresses me when I took it up for my sticker the next day. I don't get the usual "they all do that, nothing to worry about" ... instead they tell me they ran into this maybe a couple other times. It's actually some piece of metal or shield poorly attached to the throttle bodies which can only be fixed for $2,2000 (under warranty) by replacing the throttle body unit. It doesn't bother me THAT much, I said no way are you taking this for a whole day and getting into my brand new bike for such a petty issue. I just speed up/slow down or go up or down a gear to stay away from the buzz.

I'm very happy with the bike so far and my first encounter in service. Good thing for the windscreen because every time I ride this my teeth would be full of bugs without it. You'll know if you see me because this thing will have your cheeks sore from smiling so much. Oh well, enough babbling ... time for another smile.      
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:06:55 AM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

fresch

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »

Beautifull bike, lets go riding sometime, I'll meet you somewhere on rt40east in pa. Have fun, you took the wrong week off didn't you

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »

Thanks guys, loving it even more with every mile. I just got home from this morning and headed back out again now ... no rain so I'm taking advantage of that.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »

Beautifull bike, lets go riding sometime, I'll meet you somewhere on rt40east in pa. Have fun, you took the wrong week off didn't you

I was just on rt. 40 today in pa. and wv. How's tomorrow for you? I'm still doing pretty good dodging the rain so far, a little over 400 on it now. I'm dying to see that streetfighter, mine isn't going to be sitting too much for a while. Let me know on here or leave a message on my cel.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

fresch

« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2013, 12:51:54 AM »

The oldest just started college at the citadel in charleston, we're down visiting,parents weekend and all, but maybe weather permitting one of the next few, have fun

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »

Congratulations. 

I looked really hard at the MTS when I bought my GS Adventure.  I figured I'd be better of with the better backseat and off-road capabilities of the Beemer.   It's truly unreal what those tall bikes will do on a winding road.   

The best you've had is the best you know.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »

Congratulations.  

I looked really hard at the MTS when I bought my GS Adventure.  I figured I'd be better of with the better backseat and off-road capabilities of the Beemer.   It's truly unreal what those tall bikes will do on a winding road.  

Thanks, congrats on your's and you're right. Any bike is a nice bike if you ask me, some makes are just tailored better to everyone's different needs. The majority of my riding is solo so I made the perfect choice for me. I have no regrets trading the harley for this. So far the hardest thing for me is leaving it parked.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:26:25 AM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »

Just a couple shots ... took a ride around Oglebay with a buddy yesterday. His bike is beautiful, love the color even more than my old bike.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »

Here's one of the best looking Ducatis I saw in Oglebay yesterday. ;D Last night I parked it with 730 some miles on the clock already in the couple days I've had it ... now the idiot light is on telling me it's due for the first oil change or service!
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »

I personally paved some of the roads I treated myself to enjoying yesterday when I worked in wv. a few years ago. There was a good corner store many of us would stop for lunch. Well, the food is just as good if not better than I remember .... $8.00 for all you can eat buffet. The inside of the store has changed a little with the addition of the buffet, but not the good home cooking.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

fresch

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2013, 01:15:27 PM »

so the multi over the diavel, good choice, you've got a stort bike with bags there. did your buddy ride it whats he think? be careful with the chicken strips, save taking em off for a track day or two, not the street we'll suppose to act old and mature. lol

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »

so the multi over the diavel, good choice, you've got a stort bike with bags there. did your buddy ride it whats he think? be careful with the chicken strips, save taking em off for a track day or two, not the street we'll suppose to act old and mature. lol
Yep, I was sold after riding the MTS. My buddy was really impressed with the throttle response.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2013, 10:34:17 AM »

Glad to hear you got what you wanted! I have been jonesing for a Pikes Peak Edition myself. Same retail as yours, without bags but it has the fancy wheel and exhaust upgrade and LE paint. I had to step back and let reality take over for awhile, but I did stress over it just like you! I am so glad to know that there are others like myself out there. Best of luck to you and many safe happy miles. If you get a chance, pm me what to expect on a trade, and would be very interested in ride reports on your new bike. Thanks   Tom

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2013, 02:29:51 PM »

Glad to hear you got what you wanted! I have been jonesing for a Pikes Peak Edition myself. Same retail as yours, without bags but it has the fancy wheel and exhaust upgrade and LE paint. I had to step back and let reality take over for awhile, but I did stress over it just like you! I am so glad to know that there are others like myself out there. Best of luck to you and many safe happy miles. If you get a chance, pm me what to expect on a trade, and would be very interested in ride reports on your new bike. Thanks   Tom

Thanks, at least all the stress about the bike is gone now. I'm at the dealer getting my first service done right now ... didn't take long to rack up a little over 1000 miles. You won't go wrong with one of these! I'll keep you and everyone posted. Good luck and hope it all works out for you too. I can certainly tell you it's a decision you won't regret.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.721 seconds with 21 queries.