Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: What do you guys think about Ducati?  (Read 12429 times)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: What do you guys think about Ducati?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 07:51:11 PM »

Say what?  :nixweiss:  That has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard happening while riding a bike of any type.  Even the old air cooled Ducatis had ample power and response from 3500-8000 RPM.  That's a pretty wide margin of RPM with a 6 speed transmission, and I cannot imagine not being able to find the engine's happy spot with gear ratio and power band like that.  I think that had more to do with the rider being either unfamiliar with the bike, or simply refusing to downshift the bike when needed.  The same would be true of ANY bike...brand has nothing to do with it, and rider ability does.

A BIG X2!   :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 10:57:27 PM »

Well guys my mind is in a thousand different places right now, to make a long story short I'm even worse off now because I'm in love with this even MORE than the Diavel. I gotta go back out on mine and try to clear my head a little before I start another chapter. Don't mean to leave anyone hanging but I'm stressed about much more than just, deciding about bikes. Just not in the mood right now so I'll get back after I cool off a little. I don't drink or do drugs and riding my bike is my way of blowing off steam so try to bare with me.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 11:10:07 PM »

I am looking forward to your MTS review.  I stopped by my only local dealer but he doesn't have a bike to demo/test ride as my commuter/second bike.  Kind of hard to sell if you don't let people ride it!

I understand your frustration and I can think of a couple reasons why they're hesitant after what I witnessed at the dealer today. I'll fill you in more later and after riding the MTS I can honestly say they don't need to push these on anyone, they sell themselves. 
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 05:08:07 AM »

I got the same itch a few months ago and went and spent a day on a Diavel (around 100+ miles) that they let me try out. Amazing power and braking for sure! Truth is that if I would have had a good salesperson I would have bought it that day. I got back to the dealer about a hour before they close and gave him all the "buying signals" I could but he was worried about getting stuck late at work. They are closed on Sun and Mon which gave me enought time to reconsider so by the time he called me late on Tues to ask me "if we have a deal" I had decided I needed it like a hOle in the head. As far as the bike goes though it is definitely a E ticket ride. For me it was just that I struggle with my work schedule to ride my bike now as much as I would like and I am afraid that having another would just frustrate me more. When I do ride I was also worried that I would miss my stereo system and other comfort deals that my CVO has. To fix my "boredom issue" I stuck in a 120r trying to ge the best of both worlds..
Sorry to ramble but I know exactly what you are thinking so thought I would share..

Please ramble away, you sound a lot like me so I know where you're coming from. I have so much on my plate at the moment I don't know where to start or end my rambling.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 05:16:18 AM »

:coolblue:
Why did you sell it? Just curious.

X2 ... I could be wrong but maybe you answered your own question with what you said in your first post? ... don't know.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 05:26:50 AM »

I owned a 2005 Multistrada for about a year and loved the bike, after making a few mods to it.  The seats back then left something to be desired, but they have since addressed that problem.  No other bike sounds like a Ducati.  The maintenance intervals on the newer engines have been increased...the largest expense is valve adjustment, which used to have to be done at 7500 miles, but is now at 15,000 mile intervals.  Other services are easy enough to do yourself, if so inclined.  The dealer network is limited, depending on where you live.  

The Diavel Grand Tourismo is a bike I would definitely consider....with a rack on the back, you could load it up for true touring.  Same is true for the Multistrada GT.   People either hate the look of the MTS or love it...I happen to like the look. Both of the GT models have enough bells and whistles to satisfy the real needs for touring...heated grips, heated seat, electronically adjustable suspension and engine output.  IMO, you get a lot of bike for the buck.

With the power those bikes put out, you do have to watch yourself though, as they just beg to be run, and you'll be going much faster than you realize before you know it.  Handling is outstanding, as are the brakes.  The seat heights are pretty tall, but the bike doesn't weigh much...less than 500 lbs...so it's not a huge deal.  I'm only 5'8" with a 29" inseam and while I was on my toes when stopping, I got used to it.

You summed that up perfectly except my salesman is telling me the intervals are 18k miles for these new engines. When I asked for ballpark price he told me to expect in the neighborhood of $600 for that service.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 05:37:28 AM »

If you can only have 1 you really need to think about that! I have never regretted not buying the Diavel and I was getting it as a 2nd bike. Couldn't imagine not having the option of "cruising" with my music going not to mention what I would do with all my D
HD gear...
I spent a few nights on a couple of the various Ducatti/Diavel forums and for that reason alone don't do it...

Trust me, I'm racking my brain stewing about this! I'm seriously struggling to make the right decision. I'm so frustrated I can't sleep, not eating right, headache after headache ...
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »

If you can swing it financially, go ahead and buy the Ducati and keep the SEEG. You'll have all you need and be able to get your life back on track. Sounds like you're making yourself sick thinking about it so much, the doctor doesn't offer 1.9% financing. Just sayin'

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »

Ok, here goes chapter whatever ... I'm so screwed up I lost track. My slow fingers can't keep up with all the racing thoughts running through my mind right now so I'll start at the beginning of my day (yesterday), TRYING to spare the fine print. I had sweaty palms like the feeling a first date gives you when I called my salesman. The Diavel ride excited me so much I was nervous and anxious when I asked him if I could now try the MTS Granturismo today ... keep in mind this is now the third time this guy has gone to bat for me. The first time was earlier this spring when I gave the BMW K 1600 GTL a try and didn't like all the drive line lash ... hell of a nice guy to put up with me this far. He said "Glad to hear from you, come on up, I'll get it ready" ... now for the good stuff.

I told him max hp setting with softest suspension and off I go. Same deal as the Diavel with the smooth clutch and transmission. This time I payed closer attention to every little detail for a fair comparison between the two. The MTS easily rolls out from a dead stop every time with NO throttle at all, just like the DS. Engine characteristics are identical even though this is rated 12 hp less, you would never know and I couldn't feel any difference. Everything still stands the same as far as how, when and where the power comes on at all the engine speeds previously mentioned so really nothing new in the engine dept. Here's where it all changes ...

My stance on this is slightly different, I can't quite put my finger on it but nothing awkward and still as comfortable as the DS ... perhaps saddle height is why. Having two feet firmly planted on the ground is past-tense, both heels are now waving in the breeze although not a problem. The height of this seat on the MTS has me shifting my can a bit one way or the other AND stretching to have one foot flat, but not really necessary. The wind in my face problem is now solved on the MTS, not completely but much improved and more tolerable. Windshield all the way down blows some in your face, up all the way blows the majority over my head. It's easily adjustable on the fly too, just squeeze the simple pinch tab with a finger and thumb and release it.

Now for handling ... those Italians certainly did their homework here! Not that I felt the DS suffered, but these two bikes seem worlds apart to me in this dept. The MTS has a much lighter, more nimble feel and was REALLY a great thrill to flick around in the twisties. This is the closest I've come to riding a real corner carver without that uncomfortable, awkward stretch across the gas tank like a crotch rocket. I see exactly what Terry meant about this bike now, it is truly more confidence inspiring through the twisties the more time you spend in the seat ... it definitely does egg you on to run it. I found myself riding more aggressively than I did on the DS and I never experienced any uneasy feelings, it's very sure-footed.  

I ran the same identical route as last time except for one deviation. Cars kept spoiling my fun through one of my favorite twisty spots so I took some extra trips through there when the coast was clear and I loved every second of it. This thing is so well balanced it practically keeps itself upright ... stop signs are a delight when you can fully stop and take off without removing a foot from the pegs, I have found the bike of my dreams. Granted they were empty there's no hint that you're even carrying a trunk and hard bags, can't tell that they're there besides trying to throw a leg over the seat then trunk kinda gets in the way a little. If there was a law against having too much fun the MTS breaks it, I can't stop thinking about it.                

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2013, 12:08:55 PM »

If you can swing it financially, go ahead and buy the Ducati and keep the SEEG. You'll have all you need and be able to get your life back on track. Sounds like you're making yourself sick thinking about it so much, the doctor doesn't offer 1.9% financing. Just sayin'

Thanks I wish it were that easy, but that isn't in the cards financially and the 1.99% is for the Diavel only, not the MTS which is what I really want now. Maybe I should just wait and hope I get lucky that a better rate comes along for the MTS. I should stop worrying myself with winter around the bend anyway, but you know how it is once you get a bug up your ass about something.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:15:06 AM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »

I always found it easier to mount the MTS by putting my foot/leg over the bike like I was doing a karate kick, except I'm so old and stiff that I have to actually grab my foot and stick it over the seat.  But I mount all bikes in that manner.  I would guess that the MTS has a totally different center of gravity than the Diavel and thus the different "feel"...plus the bars are different.  And the MTS has different suspension characteristics.  If you loaded the bike for travel by placing heavier items in the panniers (that's Eurospeak for saddlebags) and lighter things in the Topcase, the handling would not be adversely affected.  That's the way all bikes should be loaded actually.

Question: I added the rack and topcase to my MTS and the topcase was easily removed when not needed...is the topcase on the new ones the same?

Sounds to me like you've made up your mind and just have to decide when... :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:32 AM »

I need to stop reading this thread....
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »

I would love to see Ducati come out with a true touring bike with GPS/Stereo and cruise control.  If they did, my mind would be made up!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »

I was so tired the other day I completely skipped over the suspension on the MTS. Lets just say it's like floating on a cloud when comparing to my Road Glide Ultra. I'm not sure which of the four settings he chose for me since I wasn't paying attention when he selected it. The DS suspension really didn't give me anything to complain about, but the MTS is like having your cake with extra whipped cream and cherries on top and leaving nothing behind except for the stems, it was that comfortable to me. The seat alone is more plush on my bike, but certainly not the quality of the ride. The MTS just never ceases to amaze me the more I keep thinking about it and I only had a little taste of it ... I want more.

Terry, I'm not sure about the removal of the top box ... didn't ask or even cross my mind. Knowing how I am it would never come off the bike unless I wanted to clean under it which I am anal enough to do. I will ask for you when I go back on Tuesday.

I admit the bike lacks that nostalgic beauty of mine, but this beast makes me forget all about that and the different looks are starting to grow on me already. The three major reasons leaving me on the fence at the moment are only the creature comforts of a radio, cruise control and a cigarette lighter ... yes, really that's it. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling Ducati isn't offering 1.99% for the MTS for a reason. They know if you ride both the Diavel and the MTS, they have to dangle some candy in your face to lure you back to the Diavel IF you can pry yourself off the MTS and it isn't easy.    

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »

I would love to see Ducati come out with a true touring bike with GPS/Stereo and cruise control.  If they did, my mind would be made up!

Bingo!  :2vrolijk_21:  You took the words right out of my mouth. I'll trade that GPS for a lighter though. You squeezed that in before I had a chance to finish my last post and that's the main reason holding me back right now.

Oh well, I'm outta here for now. Gonna fire up the big blue beauty, push in that lighter, crank up the tunes, play with my cruise and stew about this on the road!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:00:37 PM by Phantom309 »
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.