Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dirty Oil No More  (Read 3268 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Dirty Oil No More
« on: August 01, 2020, 03:25:35 AM »

Hi All, been a while since I posted anything. You all know that when you do a regular oil change that at least one quart of dirty oil remains in the engine and mixes with the new oil. ( when I had my EVO it was easy to purge out the dirty quart )  Since my 09 was new I was always irritated by how quickly the engine oil got dirty after a change. Recently I did the following. Got the engine hot about a 30 mile ride. Changed the oil and filter. Rode almost 100 miles. Changed the oil and filter again. Since then I have gone almost 1000 miles and the oil is looking clean, whereas before it would be starting to look a little dirty already. I used HD dino oil for this experiment because of the cost. Maybe this is overkill but I feel good about it. Best Regards CAHDBIKER.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

J.D.

Re: Dirty Oil No More
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:46:50 AM »

I change mine every 2k mainly for this reason.  The oil is still pretty clean, and oil changes are relatively cheap.

Aftermarket makes a device to purge that remaining oil out.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »

[apology mode = on]
[sarcasm mode = on ]
[butt hurt intended = off ]
[begin entry = on ]

That leftover oil at changes is something I've worried about too.  I've tried a very large vacuum device that would screw on to the oil filter adapter.  Had to be careful because in the attempt to get all the oil one time actually sucked one of the cams out of a Twin Cam through the oil fill hole.  It gets the job done though.  Also use the same device, with different adapters of course, to get all the old air out of the tires at air change intervals.  Just have to be careful and not suck the tires inside out. They don't ride good with the tread on the inside (don't ask how I know).

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »

Above!!! I must try this method you speak of!!😂😂😂😂😂

Homer 661

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 12:13:14 PM »

You might be interested in one of these https://roguechopper.com/

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »

[apology mode = on]
[sarcasm mode = on ]
[butt hurt intended = off ]
[begin entry = on ]

That leftover oil at changes is something I've worried about too.  I've tried a very large vacuum device that would screw on to the oil filter adapter.  Had to be careful because in the attempt to get all the oil one time actually sucked one of the cams out of a Twin Cam through the oil fill hole.  It gets the job done though.  Also use the same device, with different adapters of course, to get all the old air out of the tires at air change intervals.  Just have to be careful and not suck the tires inside out. They don't ride good with the tread on the inside (don't ask how I know).

Ok I won't ask.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 12:37:16 PM »

All joking aside, I bought a car many years ago that was pretty much used for local, short commutes and the previous owner was, let's say, not diligent on maintenance.  First oil change the pan was clearly full of sludge.  I changed the oil and added a detergent additive, took the car for a good long interstate drive (couple hundred miles give/take), and changed the oil again.  It sure cleaned a lot of crap out.  With that said, it's more of a one time event than normal maintenance.

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 06:58:36 PM »

My last change, I started the motor for 3 seconds and let what drained out drain. Did this a couple times. No heat to the motor and residual still there to not run dry. Probably got about 1/2 a cup more out after initial drain.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE BLUE
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 09:44:44 PM »

I own a Scavenger and it works well.

I typically need 1.5 extra quarts of oil to get all of dirty oil out.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 10:33:03 PM »

Here is an "all kidding aside" post for this thread.  For real.  Honest.

As anal as I am about regular maintenance schedules and keeping things current this particular issue has just never worried me.  Car or bike.  For me the various devices to do this are fixes/money spent for a problem that isn't a problem.

On all three bikes here right now if I've got any problem with residual oil it's exactly the opposite.  The Road King and FXR are both maybe a thousand miles past their last oil change.  The Road Glide maybe 1500.  On all three my only oil "issue" is that the oil is still clear enough I've got to hold the dipstick just right and in the right light just to see where the oil is on the stick.  I've even thought about paying more for Royal Purple or Redline just because either would make it easier to read the dipsticks!  Then, once again, I remembered I'm just not that anal retentive. 

mark

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 09:51:28 AM »

Has anyone changed their oil the traditional way (warm up engine, cut off, remove drain plug and filter), followed the oil change mileage interval (5,000), and ever had an engine failure/problem due to not completely draining every ounce of old oil out? 

J.D.

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 10:12:18 AM »

Not sure I've ever heard of anyone executing a study like that.

But I've never regretted holding an oil change interval schedule more frequently than recommended.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »

Has anyone changed their oil the traditional way (warm up engine, cut off, remove drain plug and filter), followed the oil change mileage interval (5,000), and ever had an engine failure/problem due to not completely draining every ounce of old oil out?

A good question.  A few ounces of dirty oil that remain in a motor after an oil change is not anything I have been concerned about.  Personally it ranks between greasing the muffler bearings & changing the blinker fluid.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 11:12:47 AM »

Not unless something else happened.  Like it got very hot at some time and the oil started breaking down or contaminants were afoot.  Those few ounces of oil are a wonderful thing to worry about and to sell chimera for.  The gadgets really are solutions to spend money on for something that is not a problem.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 11:14:47 AM »

A good question.  A few ounces of dirty oil that remain in a motor after an oil change is not anything I have been concerned about.  Personally it ranks between greasing the muffler bearings & changing the blinker fluid.

My muffler bearings are now sealed synthetic.  Lifetime bearings with no grease fittings.  My bikes are old enough my blinkers are still manual rather than hydraulic so they don't use blinder fluid.  It's really easier that way.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.