Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headlight  (Read 1688 times)

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
Headlight
« on: January 25, 2020, 09:17:58 PM »

I own a 2016 CVO Street Glide, Someone told me they have the HD Day maker headlight installed as standard equipment. I'm not real happy happy with the amount or direction of light from the OEM light. Also I've got a 2014 Ultra limited and have the same problem, but don't exactly what type of of headlight the Limited came with. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
                          Thanks Jonnierock

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

Re: Headlight
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 08:06:40 AM »

I was under the impression that they came with the Daymakers...maybe post pic

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 08:09:47 AM »

I own a 2016 CVO Street Glide, Someone told me they have the HD Day maker headlight installed as standard equipment. I'm not real happy happy with the amount or direction of light from the OEM light. Also I've got a 2014 Ultra limited and have the same problem, but don't exactly what type of of headlight the Limited came with. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
                          Thanks Jonnierock
Are the light bulbs the same in both bikes? If so, your CVO does not have a Daymaker.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 08:44:22 AM »

The 2014 FLHTKSE's came stock with part number 67700241, Daymaker LED headlamps.  This is the newer style "projector" Daymaker headlamp, as opposed to the previous style "reflector" Daymaker headlamp.  There is a definite difference in the way those two styles look and the light patterns they produce.  Compare the light output and pattern between a bike with the old style and the new style, most people can easily see the difference.  I've seen a lot of complaints about the light output and pattern after the change was made.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 10:44:14 AM »

The 2014 FLHTKSE's came stock with part number 67700241, Daymaker LED headlamps.  This is the newer style "projector" Daymaker headlamp, as opposed to the previous style "reflector" Daymaker headlamp.  There is a definite difference in the way those two styles look and the light patterns they produce.  Compare the light output and pattern between a bike with the old style and the new style, most people can easily see the difference.  I've seen a lot of complaints about the light output and pattern after the change was made.

Jerry
He said He has a 14 (non cvo) and a 16 cvo. The part number you gave is for a 14 cvo. Not sure if that makes any difference on what He's asking.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 02:05:26 PM »

Wanting to see & be seen myself and having a 17' CVO With stock tinted daymaker.  I was not that impressed with the light pattern or amount.  So my solution was to adjust up the daymaker up a little and then added Custom Dynamics blinker lights. (around 100 bucks) The C D lights are very bright leds that change your blinkers to solid on white light while riding & blink yellow when turning.  I am very happy with the results.  In retro spec for my other half we installed a un-tinted 5 inch daymaker with C D blinkers on her 16' 48 Sporty add I can tell you that you don't want her behind you its like the second coming of Jesus! 
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 03:43:02 PM »

He said He has a 14 (non cvo) and a 16 cvo. The part number you gave is for a 14 cvo. Not sure if that makes any difference on what He's asking.

Oops, guess I shouldn't assume things.  I did think he was talking CVO versus CVO.  I went back and checked thinking the non-CVO may have come with the old twin bulb headlight, but lo and behold the parts catalog says it also came with the new style Daymaker, same as the CVO model.

If that's the case, the headlights should be similar between the 2016 CVO and the 2014, they all call for the same part number.  Learned something new today, I still assumed the Daymakers were only standard on CVO's.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 03:50:37 PM »

As for the original post, you may want to check the headlight aim on both of your bikes Johnny.  I've never seen a Harley come from the factory with the headlight adjusted properly, and I also have never heard of a dealer adjusting them during that "prep" they love to charge an extra five hundred bucks (or more) for as an extra dealer profit item.  The thing about the late versions of the Daymaker is they are projector beam designs, and they are totally different than a traditional reflector beam light, halogen or LED.  The reflector lights spread more light to the sides and down.  That may be the difference from earlier bikes you're seeing and not liking.  Get them adjusted properly first and see if that helps.

JMHO - Jerry

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 06:22:48 AM »

I adjusted mine up near 3 turns IIRC (trial and error as to what works for you) and it made a world of difference.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 07:44:14 AM »

As for the original post, you may want to check the headlight aim on both of your bikes Johnny.  I've never seen a Harley come from the factory with the headlight adjusted properly, and I also have never heard of a dealer adjusting them during that "prep" they love to charge an extra five hundred bucks (or more) for as an extra dealer profit item.  The thing about the late versions of the Daymaker is they are projector beam designs, and they are totally different than a traditional reflector beam light, halogen or LED.  The reflector lights spread more light to the sides and down.  That may be the difference from earlier bikes you're seeing and not liking.  Get them adjusted properly first and see if that helps.

JMHO - Jerry

True on all my Harleys.  All my HD headlights on new bikes needed adjusting, none were ok from the factory.  All needed adjusting after "dealer prep" also.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

MC16LTD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited (FLHTKSE)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 03:03:25 PM »

A little late to the reply but it is stupid expensive but the Adaptive Headlight actually works and throws light into that dark turn and significantly relieves the nighttime riding pucker factor on twisty roads.

Daymakers suck period, they cut off right where you need to see in a turn.  It is assinine that after paying $40k you have to spend another $800+ for a headlight to be able to ride at night and see; they have been out long enough that they should be MoCo standard at least on CVO's
2016 CVO Limited Palladium Silver & Phantom Blu, Fullsac DX w/2" Power Cores and Sleeves, SERT, Wild1's 10" mini-apes, HogTrough drink holder for those hot or cold days.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG (Hard Candy Mercury)
    • CVO2: 2002 Road Glide (Silver)
    • CVO3: 2005 Chrysler 300C (Custom)
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »

When I first got my 2015 CVO Street glide the headlight was terrible. You go into a dark turn and you cannot see anything ahead in the turn.  I read a post about someone who added the LED running lights and then turned the bulbs upside down.  I swear to god it works great. I have better lighting than I'd ever hoped for.  You might think it would blind oncoming traffic but it does not.  I never get "Flashes" from on coming drivers.  The inverted running lights create a "Arch" of driving light that works really well under all driving conditions.  It's a great trick that not many folks know about.

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 09:12:56 PM »

A little late to the reply but it is stupid expensive but the Adaptive Headlight actually works and throws light into that dark turn and significantly relieves the nighttime riding pucker factor on twisty roads.

Daymakers suck period, they cut off right where you need to see in a turn.  It is assinine that after paying $40k you have to spend another $800+ for a headlight to be able to ride at night and see; they have been out long enough that they should be MoCo standard at least on CVO's

The adaptive led headlight does come standard on the 2020 CVO bikes and like you mentioned, it makes a great difference in dark turns.
The regular led daymaker was only good if used on a dark airport runway. In other words, only when riding on a straight road.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 07:27:38 AM »

The new adaptive is a huge difference over the standard day maker. The stock daymaker  was dangerous in turns.

Glenncarp

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 10:04:18 AM »

The adaptive led headlight does come standard on the 2020 CVO bikes and like you mentioned, it makes a great difference in dark turns.
The regular led daymaker was only good if used on a dark airport runway. In other words, only when riding on a straight road.

I am a 52 year old type 1 diabetic since age 5. I have had 4 eye surgeries because of my lifelong disease. They have removed the cones from both eyes as a result of these surgeries. I have 20/20 in right eye, 20/30 in left (Corrective lenses installed during cataract surgery), but terrible night vision as this is what the cones in the eye do, so I no longer ride at night.

Guess I do not need to pay attention to this post :) . Glad I can still see to ride and see great without glasses and just plan my long trips during day hours and be at my hotels with my jack and diet by sunset.

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.