Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Lost 8 to 10 Miles per gallon after putting on Thundermax? Suggestions  (Read 6819 times)

Glide Boy

• Full CVO Member

I just put a Thundermax on my 2009 SERG, and have lot between 8 and 10 miles to the gallon.  I am running the Vance & Hines True Duals with the High Output Mufflers.  Has anyone else noticed this kind of drop?  The bike is running great.

GlideBoy

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Lost 8 to 10 Miles per gallon after putting on Thundermax? Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »

Are you laying in the throttle more and running at higher RPMS?  I know when I do my gas milage sucks even though I am not running the same exhaust, it does make a big difference when I run fast.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »

Are you laying in the throttle more and running at higher RPMS?  I know when I do my gas milage sucks even though I am not running the same exhaust, it does make a big difference when I run fast.

I've had my FLTRUSE for about 7 weeks now. My mpg has varied from a low of 27mpg to 42mpg and probably an average of 35mpg. I like to get on the throttle most of the time. The 42mpg was cruising last weekend with some buddies that like to stay around the speed limits or within 5+. I doubt that the tuner would have much to do with it unless you had been running super lean in your prior configuration.

Simon

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:35:35 AM »

I've had my FLTRUSE for about 7 weeks now. My mpg has varied from a low of 27mpg to 42mpg and probably an average of 35mpg. I like to get on the throttle most of the time. The 42mpg was cruising last weekend with some buddies that like to stay around the speed limits or within 5+. I doubt that the tuner would have much to do with it unless you had been running super lean in your prior configuration.

Simon

Sounds about normal what we see around here!

I've personally had a low of about 23 to a high of about 48.
Depends on conditions.
HOGMIKE

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 12:45:58 AM »

From my experience and from what I've heard from some others, it's quite normal. Zippers tends to write their MAPS at little on the "Fat" side. They say it keeps the bike running cooler and offers a tad more response and performance. It took a while for me to finally get my T-Max dialed in. I now average 33-36 in town and 38-42 on the freeway. The best I have gotten was 44 in the mountains. The bike does run cooler and is more responsive. Every time I try and eke out a few more mpgs by leaning the MAP, I don't like the results.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:50:28 AM »

Zipper's has been making their base maps rather rich since they started selling the T-Max, because the improved initial response impresses folks when they install them at one of the many rallies where they set up shop.  I tried one when they first came out, and sent it back after they couldn't fix several issues including the lousy base map they provided.  Fuel economy dropped from 38-40 down to 28-32 riding under the exact same conditions on the same routes, and there was a raw fuel smell evident on decel and accel.

If you have a tuner nearby who can work with the T-Max, it should be possible to tune it to both run well and still not single handedly deplete the earth's remaining crude oil supply.  Or you could give them some more money for their version of "auto tune" and set the AFR values where you want them yourself.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Glide Boy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »

On the test runs that I have done, I was using cruise control, and run this same section of road everytime.  Zippers thinks that I am into the throttle more than I was before, but I keep telling them that I am on cruise control.  I guess it is something I will have to live with.

Glide Boy

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »

On the test runs that I have done, I was using cruise control, and run this same section of road everytime.  Zippers thinks that I am into the throttle more than I was before, but I keep telling them that I am on cruise control.  I guess it is something I will have to live with.
Glide Boy

Why would you have to "live with it"?  Don't the folks at Zipper's still have a satisfaction guarantee?  Send it back like I did and buy something that a local tuner can work with.  And you obviously have hit upon why I won't buy their stuff, no meaningful answers when you have a problem.  If I want BS and "have to live with it", I'll just stick with stock H-D crap.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 04:16:04 PM »

Glide Boy
I am a newbie with the thundermax but I initially lost mpg's with mine also.
You can use the "Air/Fuel-TPS @rpm and change your AFR to something leaner for cruise rpm's and throttle positions.
I used 14.0 between 2048rpm and 3072rpm at throttle positions less than 29.6%.  Fuel mileage seems to be right back in the ball park of 40mpg for cruise.
Now because my bike runs sooo much better than it did, I know that I am doing a whole lot more runs above 29.6 throttle position than I was before, which of course sucks the gas.
The thundermax will dump fuel when you ask it to.  
There are three videos from the same guy on Youtube that helped me.
Here is one:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:19:01 PM by guppytrash »

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 12:05:43 PM »

Give it at least 1000 miles before panicing. My Road Glide did the same when I added a TMax, but a few people on the HDForums told me to ride it for at least 1000 miles before it dials itself in. That process may take longer or go faster depending on the map ou loaded into it at the start. If it is close to what it needs, then the process will go faster.
AMA Life Member
2009 CVO Ultra in Twilight Blue & Silver

gunny627

• Gunny
    • FL

I had the same problem what you need to look at.
Under Air Fuel Ratio Curves Look at AFR Corrections vs Engine Temperature make sure you don't see a massive increase or a spike this could indicate you have any intake manifold leak or your throttle body is leaking. To check disk and a bottle of propane what a hose do not like the propane just turned it on put it on the intake manifold and around the intake manifold and around your throttle body make sure you have no intake leaks. This will cause a massive spike in your AFR Corrections vs Engine Temperature Which Will Consume A Lot Of Fuel.
Good luck
Gunny
Gunny

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited

I had the same problem what you need to look at.
Under Air Fuel Ratio Curves Look at AFR Corrections vs Engine Temperature make sure you don't see a massive increase or a spike this could indicate you have any intake manifold leak or your throttle body is leaking. To check disk and a bottle of propane what a hose do not like the propane just turned it on put it on the intake manifold and around the intake manifold and around your throttle body make sure you have no intake leaks. This will cause a massive spike in your AFR Corrections vs Engine Temperature Which Will Consume A Lot Of Fuel.
Good luck
Gunny

It has been almost a decade since anyone has last answered my post. Holy resurrection.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

gunny627

• Gunny
    • FL

I apologize for the spelling just in a hurry. It's important to note that you need to look at that. If you do have a spike do exactly what I suggested propane gas a piece of tubing turn it on around the intake manifold and around your throttle body make sure you have no intake leaks. What you need to listen for is a change in RPMs. You can also use WD-40's it's going to make a mess or a carburetor cleaner however, with carburetor cleaner you have to make sure it doesn't get on your paint get it off immediately.
Gunny

ultrarider123

I apologize for the spelling just in a hurry. It's important to note that you need to look at that. If you do have a spike do exactly what I suggested propane gas a piece of tubing turn it on around the intake manifold and around your throttle body make sure you have no intake leaks. What you need to listen for is a change in RPMs. You can also use WD-40's it's going to make a mess or a carburetor cleaner however, with carburetor cleaner you have to make sure it doesn't get on your paint get it off immediately.

Hey gunny, I don't think Chuck was questioning your answer so much as you suggesting a fix to this issues almost 9 years after the last post on this thread.  I would hope that the original poster has fixed this issue by now... :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 10:50:42 AM by Haird »

gunny627

• Gunny
    • FL

I give him tips on checking his intake and checking AFR Correction vs Engine Temperature. Using propane or carb cleaner around the intake manifold here was his reaction to my post. I hope he gets it fixed that's usually the problem when your fuel consumption goes up so high. If he reads this and still has a problem he can send the data to ThunderMax.

It has been almost a decade since anyone has last answered my post. Holy resurrection.
Gunny
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 24 queries.