Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Check engine light came on  (Read 3996 times)

Sil

• ON

Check engine light came on
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:27:37 PM »

I have a 2016 CVO Street Glide with 14,000km on it, my check engine light came on as i was sitting in traffic, it stayed on for approx a minute and then shut itself out and never came back on as i started moving again, as anyone experienced this on their bike a and if so what was the issue? please help because i leaving for a long trip and i want no issues while on the road.

Mickle

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 Gold Rush CVO FLHTKSE, sold.
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Anniversary FLHTKSE
Re: Check engine light came on
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 01:25:28 AM »

Check for any diagnostic codes.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:36:59 AM »

When the "check engine light" comes on, a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is set in the ECM and it stays there for a certain amount of time even if the light goes back out.  Check for codes, write down all that exist, and look them up to see what system was / is involved.  You can easily check for codes yourself, it isn't necessary to have a dealer do it for you.  Check your manual for instructions, or you can find them on this and other sites.

Sometimes a brief fault like this never comes back, but often an intermittent fault eventually becomes a full failure.  Let us know what code(s) you have.

Jerry

On a Touring model with the Boom audio system, you can pull up the codes using the Boom system.  It should be detailed in your manual, but if not this should get you into where you need to go:

To access the diagnostic menus, hold the power button of the infotainment system in while turning the ignition switch to the accessory position until the warning screen appears. Then, release the button and click accept.  The service menu will be displayed. To view diagnostic trouble codes, highlight and select DTCs on the display. A listing of all current and historic codes logged will be displayed. Selecting the "i" button will change the display so that it lists a description of the code rather than the code number.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:58:20 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sil

• ON

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:35:22 PM »

I have checked the code and it was P1691, i looked it up and it states that it has something to do with lower left fan, i checked the fan and it is working fine, was it a temporary glitch anyone experience this fault while sitting in traffic?  I'm concerned because I'm  going on a road trip and i want no issues.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 11:24:54 PM »

I have had the same trouble code probably 20 to 30 times in the last two years. Same condition as you explained, stop and go traffic on a hot day and the check engine light would come on. Once the traffic clears, light goes out and everything is fine again.  The dealer could not duplicate the condition in spite of having a bike for several weeks. Picked it up, and of course it happens again. At my insistence they replaced the fan,  unfortunately that did not fix it. I checked the wiring/connections, read up on the issue but can't figure out why it happens. I don't trust anyone to start replacing harnesses. I wound up putting a Wards Werks  fan assembly on the bike, light has not come on since. While I realize I have only addressed the symptom and not the cause,  The bike runs significantly cooler and I am happy.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 03:57:06 AM »

If you are running tts be sure you have the correct program for fan off and on settings. Mine was doing the same thing with the download I got from Fullsac took to Doc's in Florida to see why I was getting the codes and he replaced the download, retuned,the fans work great now no more codes before the fans come on.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:02:29 AM by windjammer »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 08:48:52 AM »

There is no such thing as a "normal" intermittent trouble code, so Harley should be able to fix whatever is setting those codes for the left fan.  Don't buy into the BS from a clueless dealership service department.  Call H-D and politely ask them to arrange to have a competent shop fix the bike.  Any time you start training yourself to ignore a check engine light based on BS from a service department, you risk ignoring truly important ones.  The bike is under warranty, tell them you want it fixed and get everything in writing.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sil

• ON

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »

I do run a TTS tuner that maybe the issue, i will have the dealership who did the dyno check out what the fan settings are set too, also that morning  when i was riding and then stopped for a moment to wait for my buddies at a coffee shop my bike would not start when we getting set to leave we checked it out and one of my battery terminals was loose, could this have had an effect on that fault code that appeared? just throwing out there.

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 02:29:38 PM »

If you cannot find the fan on and off settings you have the wrong base program! It must be for a wet head.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »

I do run a TTS tuner that maybe the issue, i will have the dealership who did the dyno check out what the fan settings are set too, also that morning  when i was riding and then stopped for a moment to wait for my buddies at a coffee shop my bike would not start when we getting set to leave we checked it out and one of my battery terminals was loose, could this have had an effect on that fault code that appeared? just throwing out there.

Yes, loose battery connections can cause all kinds of issues.  I assume you tightened the battery connections, so has the problem repeated since then? 

Jerry

Sil

• ON

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »

Jerry I will let you know once i go for a run, has been raining a lot here in Toronto.

Sil

• ON

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »

i will check the settings and i will let you know.

Sil

• ON

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 08:38:07 PM »

Went for a ride today and the check engine light came on and then off again and the fault code was P1691 the same as before, i am scheduling an appointment with the dealership and hopefully they can solve the issue, the bike is under warranty and they installed the TTS tuner along with the V&H power duals and also did the dyno tune to the bike, i will post the findings after the service.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »

Not sure where you're at but if near Vancouver Island Russel is a TTS expert, Lonewolf Performance

Reject1970

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Mercury/Smoky Quartz Flames
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 01:55:15 PM »

I had the same type of problem with my check engine light on my 2015 CVO Street Glide. The code was P1693 cooling fan right low / open. The CK engine would come on when started and the right cooling fan would run. The CK engine light and fan would turn off at 30 MPH. The CK engine light then would come back on at 25 MPH.  The dealership said it was a grounded wire. I did a little troubleshooting on my own and found it was a bad relay. The (HD) relay PN: 31586-07. Once I replaced this no more check engine light. The bike is back to normal.

I hope this help.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 25 queries.