Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Road King CVO Stolen with Trailer in Salt Lake City  (Read 1196 times)

Tssanders

2013 Road King CVO Stolen with Trailer in Salt Lake City
« on: June 25, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »

Our 13 RoadKing CVO was stolen along with trailer out of the Fairfield Inn Parking lot at the airport in Salt Lake City :( The trailer was found with the side door removed empty the next day.
It was caught on surveillance video at 8:15 on 6/19/17. They backed right up and took off. No identifying evidence from the video, broad damn daylight.

Anyone have this experience and settling with insurance(Allstate) ? Our riding gear, camping things not to mention close out documents etc. from the last construction project, travel for work.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: 2013 Road King CVO Stolen with Trailer in Salt Lake City
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:22:16 PM »

Read YOUR policy before adjustor/appraiser shows up, that will greatly help that you know what you have coming and get ALL invoices/receipts you can possibly put together. I always paid receipts based on age full value up to policy limits, "Said I had's" not so much if anything.
Don't have an attitude, and for gods sake do not say "let me tell you how it's gonna be". EVERYONE who ever said that to me.. well they only thought they were gonna do that. Field person you meet with is only doing his job and everything he does is reviewed by someone above him. But if you know what you have coming you can "help" him along.
Hopefully you had a big policy on trailer and comprehensive on the bike. Some stuff can be paid on your home owners if you run out of trailer contents coverage. But if you are totally dependent on coverage extended from truck/car policy you are hurtin.
WIth over thirty years experience, if you are not eligible for USAA get State Farm and then Allstate next in line and the longer you've been in continous coverage with them, the more they want to help you if something is questionable.
Sorry for your loss, good luck!

JakeyLee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 11:30:44 AM »

I've got nothing more substantial to add to the conversation.  This makes me sick to my stomach.  I hope the OP has some luck in getting his bike back, or getting made whole through insurance.

I do have a question for all of you, however:   When traveling cross country/great distances, what are you doing, if anything, to ensure your bike is safe?  I'm at the point where parking at a motel is keeping me up at night.   Are there sure fire ways to avoid theft?  I'm aware of alarms and other antitheft devices.  But it's too easy for three guys to pick up a bike and pop it in a van.   Hell, I've done it myself with a full dresser (transporting, not stealing).  I'm wondering if there's a list out there of motels/hotels that advertise secure parking for motorcycles (?)...  I know I'm rambling here, bit this is becoming all too common ...and it sucks.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 11:51:39 AM »

I've got nothing more substantial to add to the conversation.  This makes me sick to my stomach.  I hope the OP has some luck in getting his bike back, or getting made whole through insurance.

I do have a question for all of you, however:   When traveling cross country/great distances, what are you doing, if anything, to ensure your bike is safe?  I'm at the point where parking at a motel is keeping me up at night.   Are there sure fire ways to avoid theft?  I'm aware of alarms and other antitheft devices.  But it's too easy for three guys to pick up a bike and pop it in a van.   Hell, I've done it myself with a full dresser (transporting, not stealing).  I'm wondering if there's a list out there of motels/hotels that advertise secure parking for motorcycles (?)...  I know I'm rambling here, bit this is becoming all too common ...and it sucks.

Personally, nothing much really. Best Western usually let you stick it under the check-in roof where it's visible from the lobby, which pretty much means the thieves can see what they're doing better... Mine is usually disgusting filthy and it looks like I ride the wheels off it, which I do, and these scumbags seem to like clean low mileage bikes.

If somebody wants it there's nothing you can really do, like you said a few guys & a pickup & its gone. Same thing for a car. Worrying about it doesn't fix anything I so don't bother.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 08:51:54 PM »

My bike probably spends between 25 and 35 nights a year in a hotel parking lot.   We try to pick well lit hotels in areas that look nice.  We always ask if we can park under the canopy by the front door.  The bikes are always locked, including the fork locks.  They do have alarms with a siren. 

Not much else we can do.  If a thief wants it they will get it.  I do keep good insurance.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.