Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Where are Harleys made.  (Read 3996 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Where are Harleys made.
« on: June 28, 2017, 07:24:26 AM »

Harley-Davidson museum.

Technically speaking, Harley-Davidson motorcycles sold in the United States are not actually made here, but assembled here.  Harley contracts manufacturing of parts to plants located all over the world, including Germany, Italy, Taiwan, Japan, and Mexico.  Those parts are then shipped to Harley factories here.  And these are not just accessories, but components for engines, chassis, and wheels.  Exactly what percentage of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle is American made, is not exactly known, as each model and model year is different.
 Back in 1929, Harley-Davidson contracted with a manufacturing plant in Hiroshina, Japan. Rikuo Internal Combustion Company  produced actual Harley-Davidson models that carried the Harley-Davidson label, for use by Japanese military and police.   Rikuo continued under contract until 1958.

Harley-Davidson motorcycles are also made in Manaus, Brazil.  The factory there opened in 1998 and continues to produce Harley models for the Brazilian market.

In 2011, the company announced plans to open a factory in India to produce the new Street 500 & 750 models.

Harley-Davidson has expressed interest in moving it’s US-based factories overseas due to expensive employee costs.  The recession of 2008 caused the company’s value to drop by 43% in 2009.  Harley’s American rival, Polaris Industries, manufactures Indian and Victory motorcycles using an outside staffing service.

Harley-Davidson is also seeing a shift in the overall motorcycle demographic.  Riders are becoming younger.  The baby-boomer market that Harley had relied on is going away.  Younger riders tend to favor smaller motorcycles and place less importance on American-made products.

So, where are Harley-Davidson motorcycles made?  All over the world, actually.  But those sold in America, are assembled here in the United States, using a lot of foreign made parts.

At least for now, anyway.
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Where are Harleys made.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »

Interesting read, applies to other industries as well.

A % of Harley's sales in the USA is to riders who buy Harley because they are USA made.  Not sure if there is a statistic out there for how big that % is, my guess is it is a sizable portion.  Harley benefited, and still does somewhat, from the "last man standing" American MC company.  Many components are made elsewhere, a sizable portion.  Same is true on autos and many other things that are assembled in the USA as "American made."  Perception is, domestic auto brands, Harley etc. are home grown because they are assembled here.  Harley carefully furthers that image, good marketing on their part.

Part of their problem is the Baby Boomers getting older.  The generations following were not raised the same, my opinion, to buy American.  Speaking in general terms here, obviously the younger riders who do buy Harley are more likely to be pro-American as to purchase decisions.  Reality is: the USA has lost so much of it's manufacturing ability over the last 50 years that many companies could not make an "All Manufactured in the USA Product" if they wanted to. The manufacturing does not exist here.  That reality has taken a few generations to sink in.  Younger buyers - my opinion again - are less likely to shop American made simply BECAUSE it is American made.

Almost inevitable for companies like HD to continue to grow to shift some production to other countries.  Easiest way is what they are doing now - assemble where the majority markets of the buyers are.  At some point, unless trade agreements change or USA manufacturing has a resurgence, some HDs will be made somewhere else and shipped to the USA.  Am not promoting that idea - just seems to be inevitable.  Hope it does not happen or if it does is so far in the future will not be around to see it.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »

I think we've known most of that for many years.....we were just in denial.   :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:22:39 AM »

If the P&A catalog is reflective of anything then 90% or more must be made in China.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »

JC, most of my days I'm in denial. :orange: :bananarock:
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »

JC, most of my days I'm in denial. :orange: :bananarock:

And that isn't a river in Egypt! :nixweiss:?!    ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »

When I was over in China I stopped in the dealer in Beijing and the clothes all have "Made in USA tags" and that was nice to see, especially over there.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 11:32:41 AM »

I'd be interested to see where Indian Motorcycles get their hardware from.
My guess is these import facts are something Harley would rather not be made too widespread in terms of public knowledge.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »

When I was over in China I stopped in the dealer in Beijing and the clothes all have "Made in USA tags" and that was nice to see, especially over there.
I wonder if the USA tags were put on so the dealership could charge larger "Harley prices" as import even if they were made by Larry in the factory down the street in China?  :huepfenlol2:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 12:01:04 PM »

And the ones in American dealerships are made in China.  I would guess those tags you saw in China were like many things from China, counterfeit.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 09:19:50 PM »

i do not like this thread ! !  :-\

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 11:26:22 PM »

People want to buy American - but most won't pay the price.
$42K CVO 100% US made ???
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 03:01:18 AM »

I have recently bought some Harley Davidson parts" components" and the packaging has stamped on it MADE IN USA where they're made in the USA don't know.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 07:25:28 AM »

Just found out my Jeep Wrangler is the most American made vehicle....
Bill

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 07:47:39 AM »

:-\
I've never been "hung up" with the notion that ya gotta buy the item that is made in America.  As a pre (baby boomer), I can tell ya that I bought whatever from whereever the best one was made.  When I learned to snow ski waaaaaaay back when, my skis were made in Austria as I recall,  the ski bindings were made in France.

Those countries had the skills and knowledge to make those items the best.  Same with ski boots, back then, there was only one ski boot as I recall made in the USA.

My cornet that I played in grade school was made in Chechleslovokia.  My enduro bike (Bultaco) was made in Spain.  Most Harleys way too heavy for enduro riding.  My shotgun was a Browning.   John Browning I believe was American,  but my version of his 12 gauge shotgun was made in Belgium.

How many of you have Glocks and/or Sig Sauers,  etc. 

Bottom line,  buying American is (not) always the wisest or best choice to be making. :drink: 
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 22 queries.