Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: Gas Prices Going Down in Your Town  (Read 22112 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Gas Prices Going Down in Your Town
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2017, 02:02:55 AM »

Corn makes ethanol, but ethanol has its supporters and critics. We can make many more gallons of ethanol annually if that's what the market tells the ethanol industry to do. Regionally ethanol has be very beneficial to rural America. 

Supershooter

Is popular in your area, am no fan of ethanol.  Buy non ethanol whenever I can.  Present federal program regarding ethanol, considering the high cost, etc. is "the perfect federal program."  We have plenty of dino oil in the ground, more cost effective.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2017, 07:13:48 AM »

Is popular in your area, am no fan of ethanol.  Buy non ethanol whenever I can.  Present federal program regarding ethanol, considering the high cost, etc. is "the perfect federal program."  We have plenty of dino oil in the ground, more cost effective.
>:(
I agree,  I'm no fan of enthanol either.  It has been a nightmare for the marine industry and other sources that use small gasoline engines e.g. chainsaws, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, etc.  It's all a giant subsidy for the corn farmers and damned if they haven't been trying to increase the percentage of the stuff in the fuel supply which would distroy even more engines. :nervous:

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2017, 07:30:38 AM »

Regular $1.83 Tappahonnick , VA
Bill

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2017, 08:29:57 AM »

Corn makes ethanol, but ethanol has its supporters and critics. We can make many more gallons of ethanol annually if that's what the market tells the ethanol industry to do. Regionally ethanol has be very beneficial to rural America. 

Supershooter

Ethanol is not cost effective for the consumer.  Sure its great for the farmers.  Its also not good for our food bill, cost of food has gone up due to Ethanol production, it takes corn and drives the cost up, which drives the cost up for feed. 

I hate ethanol.  It is miserable for my boat, and it never goes in my boat.  Its bad for small engines too.  Luckily in my area, non ethanol is readily available as 87 or 93 octane.

I had an E-85 car.  I ran one tank of E-85 in the car, the mpg went from 30 Hwy on gas, to 24 mpg on Ethanol.  Sure not cost effective to run that crap.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »

Ethanol is not cost effective for the consumer.  Sure its great for the farmers.  Its also not good for our food bill, cost of food has gone up due to Ethanol production, it takes corn and drives the cost up, which drives the cost up for feed. 

I hate ethanol.  It is miserable for my boat, and it never goes in my boat.  Its bad for small engines too.  Luckily in my area, non ethanol is readily available as 87 or 93 octane.

I had an E-85 car.  I ran one tank of E-85 in the car, the mpg went from 30 Hwy on gas, to 24 mpg on Ethanol.  Sure not cost effective to run that crap.

To me that is the kicker. It costs more, it has a federal subsidy, it takes land used for food & shifts it to energy (unlike some other potential ethanol crops), and it has increased the cost of feed.  A great deal for those who farm corn, for others, not so much.

Had a lot of small engine fuel issues several years back. Had to buy new stuff in some cases, not worth the repair.  Switched to non ethanol gas for small engines, no problems since.  Already had the happiest day of a boat owner's life - I sold mine - but when I had it I bought marine gas (non ethanol).  Boat before that had to have carbs rebuilt because of it, that's why I switched.

One more  :soapbox: .... is not transported - my understanding - unless by truck/rail because it is so corrosive.  It has decreased our dependence on foreign oil.  But it was done by a "perfect federal program" - subsidize a product that cannot make it on it's own in a free market, and is less efficient and costs more than the product it is supposed to replace.  The stuff of congressional wet dreams.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2017, 10:41:28 PM »

I've experienced issues in small engines with ethanol. It isn't perfect.
But I disagree with the claims of increased food price, after the corn is processed to make ethanol a high percentage of what went in comes back out as human grade food or livestock feed that's cost effective for livestock production.
Fwiw, when corn is $4.00 a bu the is only $0.02 worth of corn in a box of corn flakes. The wholesale product has little to do with food price. The cattle maket lost over 40% of its value in 2016, ground beef in our local grocery stores changed less than 20%.
Ethanol blends in Iowa are typically 10-15% cheaper than Dino fuel... So we figure a decrese in performance by 10% therefore we just do the math and make our choice.
It's an option, the end

Supershooter

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »

Save the corn for Whiskey!
 Fuel in Oklahoma is under $2.00 and we wish it was much more, we need the money.
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2017, 12:31:24 AM »

Yes, corn for whiskey and bourbon is the absolute best use!   :2vrolijk_21:

The artificial ethanol market does create a higher price for corn, than the food market or feed markets only would create. Can be argued but ethanol diverts a large amount of corn - which is grown on land that could be utilized to grow corn for the food/feed markets - to the ethanol market.  This has an effect on worldwide corn pricing considering the amount of market share we grow.

As to cost of fuel, decreased mileage and performance is not always a 1:1 ratio as to decrease in price depending on the region.  In many places, there is no option for non ethanol that is easily available.  It is one of the worst federal programs I have seen in my lifetime.

Disclosure:  my family has benefited financially from growing corn used for ethanol production.  As ethanol increased demands for corn years ago, we made more money.  Prior to ethanol, we grew corn more for feed purposes, small amount, and grew other crops for $$.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2017, 01:24:35 AM »

Wonder if ethanol could make better pie?

I know, wrong site.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2017, 01:58:06 AM »

Research results are affirmative:

Bean pie produces methane.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2017, 08:33:39 AM »

An alternative agricultural energy fuel source, federally legislated, could have bean beans instead of corn.  Farmers would be paid to grow beans, and each person would be required by federal law to consume at least one pound of beans per week.  Congress would name this act: Federal Agriculture Re-energizing of Transportation Systems (FARTS).  A gas collection system would be installed in each residence, business, public building, rest stop, and rest room.  Citizens would be required to make use of the facility - a collection nozzle (attached to each citizen where the sun don't shine) with a large hose attached to a vacuum to collect gas.  Oil companies would be required to collect gas from these collection stations weekly.  Automobile manufacturers would be required to produce a number of vehicles each year - starting at 15% - that would run on methane gas.  Many subsides and tax incentives would be introduced, but would be offset by enormous multi layer taxes on beans, collection stations, volume of gas produced by bean consumers, and collection nozzles.  The price of nozzle lube (syn or dino?) would skyrocket. 

Bean prices would increase dramatically overnight, farmers would make more money.  People would feel good (no not just from passing gas) because they are helping the environment.  Government would collect enormous taxes and increase power by giving out some paltry tax cuts to their favored constituents. Mileage per gallon would decrease, price of fuel would increase to cover costs plus taxes.

Exceptions would be California, Chicago, and several other places that would double/triple methane gas taxes as compared to other places and require only certain types of beans to be consumed by their citizens (called Cafe' blends).  Methane gas in these areas would cost 30 to 50% more than other areas, but their citizens are used to that already.

A darn shame we did not adopt beans the Magic Fruit years ago instead of corn for energy, we might have farted our way to energy independence by now.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2017, 09:03:41 AM »

EXACTLY!  The only time ethanol was even close to being cost effective was when we the taxpayers were heavily subsidizing the price.  Now that those subsidies have been removed, E85 is priced similar to or higher than regular gasoline but gives much lower mpg.

Even if auto makers were to equip every new vehicle to be fully E85 capable (extra sensors and processors, fuel system corrosion upgrades, injectors, etc.), so that the higher ethanol content wouldn't harm the vehicle, you would still have lower efficiency as the percentage of ethanol was increased.  The biggest problem is all those engines for everything from lawnmowers and chainsaws to boats do not have all the extra sensors and feedback closed loop systems to adjust the mixture.  An engine set up to run properly on straight gasoline, or even E10, will be extremely lean when run on anything with more ethanol in it.

We need to go back to using corn to feed humans and animals.  Sadly all the connected special interest folks with the big ethanol producing facilities are fighting to not only maintain the status quo, but to allow and eventually mandate even higher percentages of ethanol.  E15 is being pushed by their lobbyists right now, and unfortunately our ignorant and ethically challenged representatives are liable to fall for the BS they're peddling.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 25 queries.