Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson Has a Big Problem and It's Not Trump. It's That Its Motorcycles  (Read 8106 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member

Scottt....That's a sweet looking ride!! Congrats!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member

Scottt....That's a sweet looking ride!! Congrats!
As good as the K1600B looks, riding one is more impressive.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red

It is a good looking bike. I can only imagine how it rides. It even LOOKS fast.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

LOL....I hear ya...however, the guy I sold my BMW to ended up having to replace stuck valves on it after he'd had it for about a year or so. Took them 9 weeks just to get the parts...so there's that...  :drink:

;D  Rob our local BMW dealer closed a few years ago.  Owners usually go to Jacksonville - a 2 1/2 hour ride - to find out the parts they need will be delivered in a month or 2. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

scottt

• Elite CVO Member

;D  Rob our local BMW dealer closed a few years ago.  Owners usually go to Jacksonville - a 2 1/2 hour ride - to find out the parts they need will be delivered in a month or 2.
I'm fortunate, my BMW dealership is only 8 miles from my home. A really nice motorcycle dealership with a focus on riding and the customer.

I've learned a lot about the differences between HD and BMW. Like them both for different reasons. Both have pros and cons.

The BMW cons do include slower access to some parts. It simply takes more time for parts to ship from Germany. That said, a good percentage of needed parts are here in the states. Another con is the price of new OEM parts. Much higher than HD.

The pros include durability, performance, handling, ride and comfort off the showroom floor. A longer warranty ( 3 years ) and low cost extended service contracts compared to HD.

Comes down to what's most important to you. Harley has the most dealerships, open 7 days a week. The best motorcycle social group, HOG. Harley offers more choices, personalization, more bling and I would say style. It also has a great sound.

BMW is focused on one thing, the riding experience. Performance, handling, brakes and comfort. A bike you can enjoy for 10 hours a day on the road. The dealerships are also focused on activities but not to the degree of HD.

In a perfect world I would own Both, maybe a Triumph too.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

I'm fortunate, my BMW dealership is only 8 miles from my home. A really nice motorcycle dealership with a focus on riding and the customer.

I've learned a lot about the differences between HD and BMW. Like them both for different reasons. Both have pros and cons.

The BMW cons do include slower access to some parts. It simply takes more time for parts to ship from Germany. That said, a good percentage of needed parts are here in the states. Another con is the price of new OEM parts. Much higher than HD.

The pros include durability, performance, handling, ride and comfort off the showroom floor. A longer warranty ( 3 years ) and low cost extended service contracts compared to HD.

Comes down to what's most important to you. Harley has the most dealerships, open 7 days a week. The best motorcycle social group, HOG. Harley offers more choices, personalization, more bling and I would say style. It also has a great sound.

BMW is focused on one thing, the riding experience. Performance, handling, brakes and comfort. A bike you can enjoy for 10 hours a day on the road. The dealerships are also focused on activities but not to the degree of HD.

In a perfect world I would own Both, maybe a Triumph too.

Several riding buddies have BMWs, they love them long time.  Some have Indians - same deal.  Triumph makes a good motorcycle as well.  Each has it's own appeal.  We had a BMW dealer here, when they closed was a little surprised nobody else wanted the brand locally to sell.  Have ridden BMWs, nice bikes just not for me.  Have ridden my Harleys plenty of times 10-12 hours plus in a day, back to back repeat days.  Not a problem for me, I prefer the sitting position of HD vs BMW.

Anyway, I have no dayglo or space suit looking riding clothes so would not fit in the Beemer world.  One thing my BMW buddies all have in common, you may not hear them long distance but you sure as heck can see them from a mile away.   ;D

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag

One thing my BMW buddies all have in common, you may not hear them long distance but you sure as heck can see them from a mile away.   ;D

Which brings up the question, which category do you fall into?

Power Ranger
Village People
Euro-Cordura Man
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

Power Ranger
Village People
Euro-Cordura Man

Can't relate to those because of the metric system.  Me?  I am like a ray of sunshine bouncing around the world, spreading joy and happiness on everyone I bounce upon.

J.D.

When it comes to vehicles, my preferences generally fall into two buckets, with little middle ground.

1.  Cheap, low tech, unreliable, but fun.  Think '60s muscle car or carbureted Harley.

2.  Modern, high tech, reliable, but somewhat boring.  Think modern SUV or Goldwing.

The new Harleys fall in between for me.  Relatively expensive but unreliable.

I can buy a brand new car from most any brand for the price of a new CVO and expect to go 100k miles without stepping into a repair shop.

I can buy a nice used Harley for $10k that will likely be more reliable than a new one.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member

Power Ranger
Village People
Euro-Cordura Man
Actually I wear what I like, not worried about playing a role or impressing anyone. Often wear some of my favorite HD wear on the BMW bagger. It's mine so who cares.

I can attest to BMW riding gear. It's the highest quality best made functional gear I have tried. Especially the riding boots. Not cheap but great.

The only motorcycle gear that cracks me up is those that want to look like a 1 percent club member when they clearly are not. I have respect for real patch holders.

Wearing SOA stuff is one example. Just so fake. In the end, wear what you like and don't worry about anything else. Riding is about riding.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK

My wife and I have ridden over 160,000 miles with only one break down on the road and it was a battery and the temps were in the high 90's. HD was there in 20 minutes and they were about to close. They had the bike ready at 9 Am next Am.  We have had many of the usual problems with a new engine on my o7 serk and trans. Woodstock Hd  has never had my bike for more than a week to make the repairs and always offer a loaner.   Best thing my wife an I have done is buy 2 HD in 05 never look back.
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member

Several riding buddies have BMWs, they love them long time.  Some have Indians - same deal.  Triumph makes a good motorcycle as well.  Each has it's own appeal.  We had a BMW dealer here, when they closed was a little surprised nobody else wanted the brand locally to sell.  Have ridden BMWs, nice bikes just not for me.  Have ridden my Harleys plenty of times 10-12 hours plus in a day, back to back repeat days.  Not a problem for me, I prefer the sitting position of HD vs BMW.

Anyway, I have no dayglo or space suit looking riding clothes so would not fit in the Beemer world.  One thing my BMW buddies all have in common, you may not hear them long distance but you sure as heck can see them from a mile away.   ;D

This for me as well. Also, on the 1600 GTL we had I could have the windshield all the way up and my wife sat so high on the backseat she got the sh!t beat out of her by the wind.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

My wife and I have ridden over 160,000 miles with only one break down on the road and it was a battery and the temps were in the high 90's. HD was there in 20 minutes and they were about to close. They had the bike ready at 9 Am next Am.  We have had many of the usual problems with a new engine on my o7 serk and trans. Woodstock Hd  has never had my bike for more than a week to make the repairs and always offer a loaner.   Best thing my wife an I have done is buy 2 HD in 05 never look back.

I wish I could make that claim. My '01 was a nightmare. Went through a stator almost every year. My '06 has been better, only break down was last year when the shifter shaft splines stripped on the way back from Yellowstone leaving the lever flopping around. But I knew what to do, as that happened to my '01 twice. Now my '95 Ultra was the best. Only things that ever stranded me were a cracked header pipe coming back from Sturgis (the local Midas in Wyoming welded it), and a leaky rear brake line due to improper caliper reinstall by the dealer when I got new tires.

My BMW, Kawasakis and Honda never let me down.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

This for me as well. Also, on the 1600 GTL we had I could have the windshield all the way up and my wife sat so high on the backseat she got the sh!t beat out of her by the wind.

I thought BMW took steps to improve passenger comfort.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member

I thought BMW took steps to improve passenger comfort.
The new K1600 BGA or Grand American addresses those concerns.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.