Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: FXR HISTORY  (Read 287523 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: HISTORY OF THE FXR
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2008, 10:34:30 PM »

This is a pretty cool thread . . . great idea and nice job, FXR2evo99!  It is neat seeing the transformation of the FXR over the years through all the photos.  I have a friend who has a black '88 FXRT, 20-some thousand miles and MINT, MINT, MINT.  I will get some detailed photos of it to post here the next time I ride with him.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2008, 10:54:10 PM »

Not sure if this has been here before:

http://www.hdfxr.dk/Public/FXR/FXRModels.aspx

[edit to add]  Thanks for the hard work, Tim. :2vrolijk_21:

Huh.  Never seen that before.  Odd (but cool) that a guy from Denmark would have such an affection for the FXR.

Are there any books that cover the FXR in any detail?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »

. . . However, in 1985 there were two FXR LIMITED EDITIONS one was official the other was unoffical both to gain extra sales and to help perfect the production line process for supplying more chrome.  The "OFFICIAL" one was the FXRC Low Glide Custom , which in some locales was unoffically dubbed the " Candy Glide " in honor of the color scheme of the paint which was Candy Orange and Root Beer , paint that made the whole motorcyle seem to glow in full sunlight like a "radioactive pumpkin". . .

Anyone got a photo of the "Candy Glide?"  George was telling me about this model when I called him on Saturday.  I don't recall ever seeing one before. :nixweiss:

elvislee

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2008, 11:44:01 PM »

Anyone got a photo of the "Candy Glide?"  George was telling me about this model when I called him on Saturday.  I don't recall ever seeing one before. :nixweiss:

Here's one on video            http://www.truveo.com/1985-HarleyDavidson-FXRC-Very-rare/id/2617288277

elvislee

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 11:46:46 PM »

Here's a couple of pics I found Pic #1...1985 FXRC "Candy Glide"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:36:08 PM by elvislee »

elvislee

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2008, 11:47:57 PM »

Pic# 2...1985 FXRC "Candy Glide"

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:37:14 PM by elvislee »

elvislee

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2008, 11:49:22 PM »

Last One...Pic# 3...1985 FXRC "Candy Glide"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:38:03 PM by elvislee »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2008, 11:51:51 PM »

Damn! Fairly recent pic with the TC in the background. That thing still looks basically stock! Beauty! :o

Love them hinged seats too! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2008, 12:38:27 AM »

103tHunDer.....

At the very beginning of this thread I have pointed out two different publishings that I used primarily for putting this little project together.  Also the use of a 1982 Enthusiast Winter Edition, as well as a 1999 Spring Enthusiast Edition was used for reference material. Along with other assorted information I have filed over the years.

Thank you for your kind words as well as everyone elses....the goal here is to see more photos of the presentations of these bikes....and hopefully if you ever find yourself in a discussion with someone about an FXR you can send them here for a reference tool. 

There just isn't that much written about these bikes which is great....hopefully this can serve to create a informative reflection for all of us.

Hey elvislee, that was a very cool video....hopefully it stays a "video" for years to come....exactly as I envisioned this thread to do....provide us all with pictures and information.....

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 12:43:56 AM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2008, 07:50:38 AM »

Here's one [Candy Glide] on video            http://www.truveo.com/1985-HarleyDavidson-FXRC-Very-rare/id/2617288277

That's a Candy Glide alright.  Right down to the brown stock seat.  Good find, Blaine. :2vrolijk_21:

RedFXR2

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2008, 07:55:05 AM »

I've never seen a book completely dedicated to the FXR but I have a couple that devote chapters to the bike.  One is Illustrated Buyers Guide to Harley Davidson since 1965 by Alan Girdler.  Another is Harley Davidson Evolution Motorcycles by Greg Field.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2008, 07:56:38 AM »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »

1982 FXR/FXRS Super Glide II:

As remembered by Mark Tuttle, “we got a lot of “negative” response to the triangular area under the seat, even though we had created what we were indeed after, a very stiff chassis, very neutral handling, and a really good lean angle, which resulted in a fair amount of ground clearance and a higher seat height, and while it was probably the best-handling Harley ever built, Unfortunately, it just wasn’t selling as well as the rigid mounts were”.  “Best handling” it was and still is, but the original FXR was a whole lot more, first, it was the best motorcycle Harley’s engineers knew how to or were allowed to build.  

Mark Tuttle, states that, “we found that other than a “handful” of riders, nobody was using that “capability” the market would, “rather have had lower seats and more of a low cruiser look than all that “handling capability”.

“IF” the original FXRS bike had started out as an “engineer’s bike”, in 1982, then in 1984 it could have just as easily been stated that the FXR was indeed “recast” into a “marketeer’s bike” with shorter shocks that took away some of that “ground clearance” and “lean angle” that had originally been engineered into it, in favor of a lower seat height that Harley’s marketers thought would revive it’s flagging sales.  

So here we have the "original" as you can see by the seperation of the rear fender and the tire, notice too the length of the shocks.....

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:30:58 AM by FXR2evo99 »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2008, 03:17:59 PM »

FXR2evo99

Not to dispute your information but I bought a brand new 1986 FXRC (red of course) off the showroom floor of Carolina Harley Davidson of Gastonia, NC. I wrote a check for $7,800.00 and rode it home. I have the bill of sale in the safe at home. I put a S&S 3 5/8 X 4 3/4 kit in it to become 98". It kicked ass, I only wish compression releases were available back then. With that stroke it was a bear to crank!

SBB

:2vrolijk_21:

So I ask the same question.

I bought new, a 86 FXRC
Why is that not on your list?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »

So I ask the same question.

I bought new, a 86 FXRC
Why is that not on your list?I

:nixweiss:   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:

Silver-Black,

:oops:   :2vrolijk_21:

Did you by chance take a peek at "reply" #21 up above, I actually have acknowledged your position....Currently I am trying to figure out whether HD "officially" made the 86 FXRC Custom Low Glide a part of their literature for 1986 as being an "official" model for that calender year or whether HD simply took a "quieter" approach simply placing them on dealer's floors until the supply evaporated....also it would be great if you posted a photo of your bike I for one would appreciate it very much!!!!   Do you happen to know whether HD had such literature about your model ie: Sale's Literature.  Also if you take a peek back up at "reply" # 21 hardluk1 made mention that his was numbered on the dash was yours as well?  I am just curious.....I promise it GOES ON THE LIST....just trying to figure out how to "notate" it appropriately....Any background information you care to provide would be helpful as well.....

As always....thanks so much for your input....I hope that my comments in "reply" #21 aren't reflective of anything "negative" that's not my motivation....but when you have two of you guys communicating about your bikes it's obvious something is amiss with the "historical" data....as no previous printings make mention of 1986 being inclusive of the continued FXRC Custom Low Glide model....and it's obvious that both of you have one.....so you bet we will get this into "PROPER HISTORY"  seriously!!!

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:47:07 PM by FXR2evo99 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 24 queries.