Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exhaust Actuator  (Read 1597 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Exhaust Actuator
« on: September 17, 2023, 06:23:01 AM »

Anyone had problems with the Exhaust Actuator?

My engine light came ON after checking the code P1475  I ran the motor sure enough it wouldn't move.

Then I checked the fuses and found a 15 amp fuse blown replaced it but the active valve still didn't move.

I've removed  the Actuator unit checked the 12v motor it works fine. BTW. cable and active valve move freely,

As far as the electronics part of the Actuator don't know???

Anything I missed that I should check  before I order a replacement?

Cheers for any input 👍

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Exhaust Actuator
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 09:57:14 AM »

Sorted,....  picked one up from superbike spares  21.59 working fine  up and running again no engine light no codes  :2vrolijk_21:  :drink: :drink:

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 09:16:39 AM »

In Australia HDI these active exhaust units are lying around in every Harley workshop and home garage if an HD lives or has ever lived there since 2007.

We "piss them off" always as part of any stage 1 or exhaust change. I have several myself, brand new and would make good paperweights.

Our USA based cousins would have no clue what they are ! They are part of the "Euro" noise reduction rules.

I always toggle them to "off" when doing the first then any subsequent ECM flashing. Then I use "US  Domestic" calibrations to final road tune the bikes.

Some folks leave them attached to avoid the fault code you describe, but manually screw/epoxy resin/jam them permanently open physically.

I am mindful that there is no "MOT" annual roadworthy test in Western Australia , and perhaps you have to keep them active for that reason?

All of the HDI models sold here run WAY better with them "toggled off" and/or physically kept open.

That setting the bikes are always running thru both mufflers not a part time 2 into 1 where onlt one muffler is used prt of the time.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 08:17:28 PM by gmeikle »
No illegitimi carborundum

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 06:36:11 PM »

In Australia HDI these active exhaust units are lying around in every Harley workshop and home garage if an HD lives or has ever lived there since 2007.

We "piss them off" always as part of any stage 1 or exhaust change. I have several myself, brand new and would make good paperweights.

Our USA based cousins would have no clue what they are ! They are part of the "Euro" noise reduction rules.

I always toggle them to "off" when doing the first then any subsequent ECM flashing. Then I use "US  Domestic" calibrations to final road tune the bikes.

Some folks leave them attached to avoid the fault code you describe, but manually screw/epoxy resin/jam them permanently open physically.

I am mindful that there is no "MOT" annual roadworthy test in Western Australia , and perhaps you have to keep them active for that reason?

All of the HDI models sold here run WAY better with them "toggled off" and/or physically kept open.

That setting the bikes are always running thru both mufflers not a part time 2 into 1 where onlt one muffler is used prt of the time.

I've read that it suppose to improve performance on acceleration.  I see the inline butterfly unit that it's in the normality open position when at idle or off and it closes when revving up the motor. Don't know what position it's at when cruising, I'd think it would be open and closing as the throttle is opened and then backed off.

Anyway like you mentioned it's a UK emission requirement for the year and import regulations of the bike. I got lucky finding the one I did at the price I got it at they have a hefty price tag on them new..

Cheers for your input  :2vrolijk_21: :drink:
Ride safe

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 07:24:55 AM »

If you want a coupla "spares" you can have them for the cost of post haha...

The "bagger" market in Australia is a very small % of new HD sales, Dynas and Softails ruled the roost here. The opposite in the USA !

Both had a MUCH smaller exhaust volume than any bagger and that HDI butterfly valve thing strangled the bikes hence their removal at day one.

No illegitimi carborundum

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 09:20:47 PM »

If you want a coupla "spares" you can have them for the cost of post haha...

The "bagger" market in Australia is a very small % of new HD sales, Dynas and Softails ruled the roost here. The opposite in the USA !

Both had a MUCH smaller exhaust volume than any bagger and that HDI butterfly valve thing strangled the bikes hence their removal at day one.

I  sent you a PM

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.