Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Radio display  (Read 1325 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Radio display
« on: December 03, 2023, 06:14:44 PM »

Strangest thing,
A couple of months ago I was out for a ride I went to turn the radio on and noticed the clock display wasn't showing.  I then pushed the radio on button the radio began playing on my set station but no display on the screen.

I did some research and couldn't find any solution on how to repair the issue and also I'm not keen on forking out the high cost to replace the radio that works fine but the faulty display so I've left it and thought I'll deal with it next year.

I haven't been out on the bike  since but last Wednesday I was giving the garage a cleaning  and pulled out the bike I turned on the ignition and WOW the clock display was laminated i turned on the radio and it was all there, the screen was back up and running  :nixweiss:

Has this issue happened to anyone 🤔  BTW bikes an 07 ultra

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Radio display
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 07:28:52 PM »

Just for comparison's sake Pete I've known of two bikes with that radio that would intermittently lose their display.  One eventually lost just the display entirely and the other's whole unit failed.  Both had (if I remember correct -- it's been awhile -- and I'm old and forget sh*t) issues with riser or riser bolts having banged on the bottom of the radio.  At least that's what I think I remember.  On at least one I remember using different bolts when it went back together.  The issue was obvious enough to easily see.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 07:57:33 PM »

my display on my 13 would randomly go out but the unit would function
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 09:15:41 PM »

Just for comparison's sake Pete I've known of two bikes with that radio that would intermittently lose their display.  One eventually lost just the display entirely and the other's whole unit failed.  Both had (if I remember correct -- it's been awhile -- and I'm old and forget sh*t) issues with riser or riser bolts having banged on the bottom of the radio.  At least that's what I think I remember.  On at least one I remember using different bolts when it went back together.  The issue was obvious enough to easily see.

Thanks for the input Don,

All's working well again with it hopefully it won't happen again

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 09:17:59 PM »

my display on my 13 would randomly go out but the unit would function

Did you ever find the cause, or told what could cause the malfunction?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 08:29:43 AM »

Did you ever find the cause, or told what could cause the malfunction?

i did not, was going to send it to ironcross for repair but put a soundstream in instead
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 11:06:53 AM »

Thanks for the input Don,

All's working well again with it hopefully it won't happen again

Good luck Pete.  If experience's suggestion is worthwhile it probably won't be a permanent fix you're enjoying but I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

If yours does fail again give me a yell.  I'm pretty sure I've got one in a box up in the attic that's already been to Iron Cross for all the upgrades they do.  If needed I'll go on a parts discovery mission to the attic.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 05:55:13 PM »

Good luck Pete.  If experience's suggestion is worthwhile it probably won't be a permanent fix you're enjoying but I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

If yours does fail again give me a yell.  I'm pretty sure I've got one in a box up in the attic that's already been to Iron Cross for all the upgrades they do.  If needed I'll go on a parts discovery mission to the attic.

Well appreciated Don ill have one for you  :drink: :drink: or two.  Hopefully it will hold together and this is just a self glitch fix.

Have a great Xmas 👍

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 10:36:14 AM »

Strangest thing,
A couple of months ago I was out for a ride I went to turn the radio on and noticed the clock display wasn't showing.  I then pushed the radio on button the radio began playing on my set station but no display on the screen.

I did some research and couldn't find any solution on how to repair the issue and also I'm not keen on forking out the high cost to replace the radio that works fine but the faulty display so I've left it and thought I'll deal with it next year.

I haven't been out on the bike  since but last Wednesday I was giving the garage a cleaning  and pulled out the bike I turned on the ignition and WOW the clock display was laminated i turned on the radio and it was all there, the screen was back up and running  :nixweiss:

Has this issue happened to anyone 🤔  BTW bikes an 07 ultra

Maybe it is a British thing?

Just kidding... My wife is from the n/e of England - Stockton/Middlesbrough area and she too rides an '07 Ultra that the radio is also acting strange.

Although she has never lost a display, in the past couple of years when she fires up her bike the radio always goes to Auxiliary regardless of which mode she had left it in - usually SiriusXM.  All she does is hit the button to move it back to SiriusXM and it stays that way until she turns the bike off.  As soon as we finish lunch or wherever we've stopped and get back on the bikes, sure enough it goes to Auxiliary again.

It is a nuisance for sure, but not worth repairing or replacing.

Good luck with your fix.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 10:55:29 PM »

Maybe it is a British thing?

Just kidding... My wife is from the n/e of England - Stockton/Middlesbrough area and she too rides an '07 Ultra that the radio is also acting strange.

Although she has never lost a display, in the past couple of years when she fires up her bike the radio always goes to Auxiliary regardless of which mode she had left it in - usually SiriusXM.  All she does is hit the button to move it back to SiriusXM and it stays that way until she turns the bike off.  As soon as we finish lunch or wherever we've stopped and get back on the bikes, sure enough it goes to Auxiliary again.

It is a nuisance for sure, but not worth repairing or replacing.

Good luck with your fix.

Cheers Grizzly,

That is strange what your wife's is doing  :nixweiss:

I have a Bluetooth gadget I use in the AUX jack to play my tunes off my phone I don't really use the radio stations. The stations aren't much good here anyway 10 miles up the road and the station is gone anyway.

When mine went off it was for a good 4 weeks,  so you could imagine my surprise when the display suddenly  popped back on.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 11:04:51 PM by longlast »

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.