Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My radio died !!! where can I get it fixed  (Read 2831 times)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
My radio died !!! where can I get it fixed
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:08:40 PM »

On my 2000 SERG the radio with cassett player started cutting out about a month ago but now it has no function at all.  I pulled the faring off and pulled the plug out of the back of the radio to test to see if there is power going to the unit and there is power in three of the prong holes in the harness.  I am assuming that the problem is in the radio then and wonder if anyone knows of a repair solution without being raped by a dealership!  "Twolanerider" has given advice on this in the past so I wonder if he has any for me?
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: My radio died !!! where can I get it fixed
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »

Metal Dragon
22336 Meekland Ave
Hayward, CA 94541
510-885-9471

I'd call Jim
 He will know what to do !!!

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 03:16:57 PM »

If Jim can't do it,    www.radiosound.com    .

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 09:17:42 PM »

replace it with aftermarket !! dont spent the money on a repair or a refurbished unit.  :2vrolijk_21:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:50:37 PM »

replace it with aftermarket !! dont spent the money on a repair or a refurbished unit.  :2vrolijk_21:

Or, just learn how to sing to yourself and save all that money and aggravation. ;D

Seriously, radio sound will replace your unit with a refurb for $200 if I remember correctly (they originally supplied the radio's for H-D until 2006).  Give them a call and see what they can do for you on an exchange.  1-800-367-4506

If you like the aftermarket idea, look for a good marine (boat) radio.  Sony has a couple choices, and I'm sure there are others.  Check with a local boat dealer or marina for ideas.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:25:47 PM »

Thanks fellas :-)    I think I will call Radio Sound because I want to keep my bike as close to stock as possible for the future,   but I really like the sound of some of the aftermarket fixes I have been reading about.  The sad part is I have the bike "put up" all winter so I have time to decide!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:43:32 PM »

Or, just learn how to sing to yourself and save all that money and aggravation. ;D

Seriously, radio sound will replace your unit with a refurb for $200 if I remember correctly (they originally supplied the radio's for H-D until 2006).  Give them a call and see what they can do for you on an exchange.  1-800-367-4506

If you like the aftermarket idea, look for a good marine (boat) radio.  Sony has a couple choices, and I'm sure there are others.  Check with a local boat dealer or marina for ideas.

Jerry

You are correct  :2vrolijk_21: And they will tell you 6 to 8 weeks if you want yours repaired or a refurbished exchange can be sent overnight. And Sony and JVC both have models that will fit the dash and still allow use of the OEM hand controls. JVC offers a unit that also offers a nice GPS system. I dont have the model handy right now but if you are interested i'll dig it up and send you the info. If i remember the JVC unit was right at $500
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:48:12 PM by sportygordy »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:01:13 AM »

Thanks fellas :-)    I think I will call Radio Sound because I want to keep my bike as close to stock as possible for the future,   but I really like the sound of some of the aftermarket fixes I have been reading about.  The sad part is I have the bike "put up" all winter so I have time to decide!

Marty, there are electronic interface and bracket kits that will make the aftermarket radio installation completely plug and play.  You don't have to alter a thing on the bike to gain a far better aftermarket radio.  Would allow using it with the better (and usually cheaper) radio now and easily change it back to completely stock sometime later if you were so inclined.

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 07:16:07 AM »

Hog wired ...hsa-470.
a.k.a  Dent Dude

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 10:14:57 AM »

The HSA-470 is plug and play for Sony radios only. For a univeral unit that works with most aftermarket radios with a remote input you'll want the HUA-470.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 04:38:38 PM »

Seriously, radio sound will replace your unit with a refurb for $200 if I remember correctly (they originally supplied the radio's for H-D until 2006).  Give them a call and see what they can do for you on an exchange.  1-800-367-4506

If you like the aftermarket idea, look for a good marine (boat) radio.  Sony has a couple choices, and I'm sure there are others.  Check with a local boat dealer or marina for ideas.

Jerry
Thanks guy's and a special thanks to Jerry for the info  :bananarock:  I spoke with John at Radio Sound customer service today and he walked me through a wiring check and I found the bad ground that killed my radio :coolblue:  I was all set to take the radio out and send it away for repairs :confused5:  You guy's saved me about $ 300 CND   :pepper:
Marty

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.